Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 02-22-2018, 02:33 PM   #1
woyster_13ss

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS
Blown Boston Acoustics Rear Speakers

I've got a 2013 Camaro SS with MyLink and the Boston Acoustics system. I did get the sub-thump 5G-X3 RCA connector and I'm running a powered Infinity Basslink in the trunk (enough thump for me).

I've been ok with this setup until recently when I noticed that my rear deck speakers are rattling and my kids have said that all they hear is muffled sound while riding in the back. I checked this morning and there is NO sound coming from one of them and the other one is rattling pretty badly.

I thought about simply replacing the blown speakers with another set of BA's, however after researching what all is involved in removing the rear deck to replace the speakers I'm second guessing that decision. If I'm going to go through the pain of replacing them, I'm wondering if it is worth putting the same BA speakers back in there. So now I'm looking into what it would require to replace them with aftermarket equipment.

I know that simply replacing the BA speakers with aftermarket won't work, so what am I looking at? I'd like to keep the powered subwoofer, if possible. And I guess while I'm replacing the rears, I might as well replace all the speakers. I don't want to break the bank, but I want some clean, crisp, quality sound that won't need to be replaced again anytime soon. And I want to keep the stock MyLink headunit.

TIA!
6.2L V8, NPP, Manual 6-Speed, GM Performance Shifter, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Bo White's Stage III Ported TB, Sunroof, Window Tint, Gen5DIY Halo & DRL Harnesses, 5000k LED DRL Bulbs, APEX Skip Shift Eliminator, Hood Spears / Front & Rear Blackout Panels / Gills from Big Worm Graphix, Gary's Customz Front & Rear Painted Bowties, Powdercoated Wheels & Camaro Badges, Painted Calipers, Plastidipped Taillight Bezels
woyster_13ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:23 PM   #2
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
Too bad you don't live closer we could work together. Mine just did the same thing.
I bought the 6.5 adapters for the rear and went with the Hertz 165's. Great speaker but not cheap. I suggest going to the 6.5 comps in the rear then you could still run them off the BA amp if your budget doesn't allow replacing it.
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:59 PM   #3
Dega Man

Drives: ZL1
The frequency response on the Hertz and The JL's would be perfect for the back, for the front you can get away with focals or Jl's. Also I highly recommend getting rid of that factory Amp. I am running a Alpine PDX-F6 it is a clean very powerful amp.
Dega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:11 PM   #4
Rainbow1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dega Man View Post
The frequency response on the Hertz and The JL's would be perfect for the back, for the front you can get away with focals or Jl's. Also I highly recommend getting rid of that factory Amp. I am running a Alpine PDX-F6 it is a clean very powerful amp.
I'm running the PDX F4 with a separate sub amp and a 12 inch sub. It sounded great until I blew the rear speakers lol.
I have the Hertz 165's in the doors as well
Old 02-23-2018, 09:42 PM   #5
beak81champ
ILSQ

Drives: '13 2SS/RS
Everything depends on your budget, and whether you want to take the time to do it right, or just throw speakers at it.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:39 AM   #6
Dega Man

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow1616 View Post
I'm running the PDX F4 with a separate sub amp and a 12 inch sub. It sounded great until I blew the rear speakers lol.
I have the Hertz 165's in the doors as well
You have a very nice equipment already, the Hertz MPX 690.3 PRO will be a awesome addition in the rear with what you have already.
Dega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:03 PM   #7
blackswan

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
Quote:
Too bad you don't live closer we could work together. Mine just did the same thing.
I bought the 6.5 adapters for the rear and went with the Hertz 165's. Great speaker but not cheap. I suggest going to the 6.5 comps in the rear then you could still run them off the BA amp if your budget doesn't allow replacing it.
It's possible the factory speakers blew because of the amp, perhaps? Usually speakers blow much faster from lower wattage dirty signal than just putting the volume to high. Just a thought, everyone seems to concur that the factory amp isn't great. BTW, has anyone taken one apart to see if there's a way to make it better more cheaply than replacing? I.e., better caps, etc.
blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 01:10 PM   #8
woyster_13ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by beak81champ View Post
Everything depends on your budget, and whether you want to take the time to do it right, or just throw speakers at it.
That's the whole reason for this post. Like I said, I don't want to break the bank but want some quality components that will last. I know I can't throw speakers and it and have it work and/or sound good. And if I was going to go cheap, I'd replace with some more crappy BA's.
6.2L V8, NPP, Manual 6-Speed, GM Performance Shifter, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Bo White's Stage III Ported TB, Sunroof, Window Tint, Gen5DIY Halo & DRL Harnesses, 5000k LED DRL Bulbs, APEX Skip Shift Eliminator, Hood Spears / Front & Rear Blackout Panels / Gills from Big Worm Graphix, Gary's Customz Front & Rear Painted Bowties, Powdercoated Wheels & Camaro Badges, Painted Calipers, Plastidipped Taillight Bezels
Old 02-24-2018, 01:20 PM   #9
woyster_13ss

Quote:
Does the BA amp put out enough power to run them? And do the 6.5 comps put out better sound than a 6x9?
Old 02-24-2018, 03:07 PM   #10
beak81champ
ILSQ

I would start with proper sound deadening, then start researching some speaker choices.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:04 AM   #11
Rainbow1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by woyster_13ss View Post
Does the BA amp put out enough power to run them? And do the 6.5 comps put out better sound than a 6x9?
Most definitely yes, I would never replace 6x9s with 6x9's. Even search on here for some of snowman's posts 6x9's are old school.
Get a decent set of 6.5 comps and a set of adapters. You could always change the BA amp later if your not happy with it.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:49 PM   #12
woyster_13ss

Quote:
Most definitely yes, I would never replace 6x9s with 6x9's. Even search on here for some of snowman's posts 6x9's are old school.
Get a decent set of 6.5 comps and a set of adapters. You could always change the BA amp later if your not happy with it.
Using the BA amp for now sounds good to save some money and might allow me to get some better speakers. However, would the BA amp end up messing up the new speakers?

Where did you get your 6x9 to 6.5 adapters? And then, where did you mount the tweeters (or is there a spot in the adapter for them)?
Old 02-27-2018, 06:01 PM   #13
Rainbow1616

No won't hurt the speakers at all. I am mounting the tweeters in the adapter like in this thread:http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=447659

I got my adapters from car-speaker-adapters dot com. They can custom make them just let him know you want the tweeters recessed in there also.

Unfortunately I don't have a garage so I have to wait a while but I have everything ready to go!

Last edited by Rainbow1616; 02-27-2018 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:36 PM   #14
beak81champ
ILSQ

I’ve heard a lot of good things about the PPI P65C components. You could also look at Morel Maximo components. I think they are 50% off right now at Crutchfield. ~$200.