Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-30-2018, 04:13 PM   #1
a7m1

Drives: Camaro SS M6
2013 Keyfob recall

Hello forum members !

got a call from my dealer today about keyfob recall for the 2nd time last time was few years ago when the recall first came out but i ignored it.

i got a few questions for those who done the recall,
are they going to replace the remote with a 'new unit)
or they are just shoving the key blade by pushing the rod or hinge (just like how to adjust wrist watch length) and then use the removed key blade and replace it on plastic key blank or regrooving the key from the scratch ,

my point that if it includes new(brand new remote without keyblade with new circuit board and battery) and discarding the old remote that would be great as my key showing some rust and wear on rubber pads

but if they are going to remove and remount the blade on seperate standars key then i'll pass

and how long does the process take?
a7m1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 04:26 PM   #2
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
I have not, nor will I get it done. From everything I've read & pictures I've seen, they will remove the 'keys' form the fobs and cut you new separate keys; you keep the original fobs. They are supposed to provide you with a filler piece to cover up the gap on your fob left by the removed key.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:28 PM   #3
SummitWhite11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by a7m1 View Post
Hello forum members !

got a call from my dealer today about keyfob recall for the 2nd time last time was few years ago when the recall first came out but i ignored it.

i got a few questions for those who done the recall,
are they going to replace the remote with a 'new unit)
or they are just shoving the key blade by pushing the rod or hinge (just like how to adjust wrist watch length) and then use the removed key blade and replace it on plastic key blank or regrooving the key from the scratch ,

my point that if it includes new(brand new remote without keyblade with new circuit board and battery) and discarding the old remote that would be great as my key showing some rust and wear on rubber pads

but if they are going to remove and remount the blade on seperate standars key then i'll pass

and how long does the process take?

They will take away your key and provide you with a new key fob and separate key. The new key fob will look exactly like what you have now, minus the switch blade key, however you will see a empty void of where they key should be. Will add more bulk in your pocket. Ignore it. I've been ignoring it since forever even when I signed a waiver in the service dept at the dealership. I still get mail and email asking to come in for the recall. Just ignore it.

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:37 AM   #4
J Rod

Drives: '14 BRM 1LE 2SS/RS
If you already have both switchblades, then yes... ignore it. My car only came with one key so I had the recall done in order to get a second spare key for free. Then I just cut the key out of other one they gave me and put it back in my switchblade.
LSA Blower w/ 2.45 Griptec, Reinforced Brick, FIC 1000 injectors, JRE FPCM, LFP Dual Pass HX, ZL1 IC pump, RotoFab CAI, Bo White TB, Coated Stainless Power 1-7/8" LTs, NPP, NGK TR7IX, Mighty Mouse Wild CC, AEM X-Series WB, Aeroforce Interceptor, MGW Shifter, Z28 Grill, Gary's Custom ZL1 Rockers, Hero Tails, Tuned by IMC
J Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:39 AM   #5
J Rod

Drives: '14 BRM 1LE 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitWhite11 View Post
They will take away your key and provide you with a new key fob and separate key. The new key fob will look exactly like what you have now, minus the switch blade key, however you will see a empty void of where they key should be. Will add more bulk in your pocket. Ignore it. I've been ignoring it since forever even when I signed a waiver in the service dept at the dealership. I still get mail and email asking to come in for the recall. Just ignore it.
They gave you new fobs? All I got were the new keys and my old switchblade/fob back without the key.
J Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:51 AM   #6
SummitWhite11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
No i declined. Kept my switchblade. Ignored recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:09 AM   #7
the85darkknight

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS Green Flash Edition
I had to fight my dealer to give me the fill-in on the old keyfob. I personally think it looks good, but I would have ignored it had I known what a PITA Five Star in Warner Robins, Ga, is.

IG: StarSaber85(https://www.instagram.com/starsaber85/)

Performance Mods:
CAI, Inc. Cold Air Intake; ADM Racing Scoop; Bo White Ported Throttle Body; GPI Ported Rod Mod Intake; Kooks 1-7/8" Headers with Catted Connections; Solo Mach XL Axle-Back Exhaust

the85darkknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:56 AM   #8
Blown2013SS

Drives: 2013 2SS convert
they do not give you a new remote. they remove the key from your switchblade and leave the blank space. then they put a regular key on with your original remote.
Blown2013SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 08:04 AM   #9
denboy1

Drives: 2014 2ss Convertible
Mine was already removed when I bought the car last year. It didn't have the filler piece and I contacted Maureen at Rodgers Chevrolet for the filler piece. I think if you search the forum you can get the part number.
denboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:54 PM   #10
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
I had to fight to get the filler for free, but they gave it to me. Switchblade was removed when I bought the car.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:06 PM   #11
the85darkknight

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS Green Flash Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
I had to fight to get the filler for free, but they gave it to me. Switchblade was removed when I bought the car.

That fight is oh so familiar. Turned out nice.

Name:  IMG_2708.JPG
Views: 961
Size:  539.4 KB

IG: StarSaber85(https://www.instagram.com/starsaber85/)

Performance Mods:
CAI, Inc. Cold Air Intake; ADM Racing Scoop; Bo White Ported Throttle Body; GPI Ported Rod Mod Intake; Kooks 1-7/8" Headers with Catted Connections; Solo Mach XL Axle-Back Exhaust

the85darkknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:13 PM   #12
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
They originally wanted $17 for each filler. I read on here people getting charged over $60. The dealer I bought my car from were complete idiots so I went to a local dealer to get the fillers. After trying to charge me, I showed them the TSB on my phone they waived the fee. They tried to do the install themselves but I took the parts and left. A 9 year old can do it.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:49 PM   #13
Lndryguru

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
there is a key fob recall lol will never do it get done emails all the time now they going to junk box i am 6/4 and my knee is nowhere near the ignition
Old 05-31-2018, 07:29 PM   #14
paulsandhu

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lndryguru View Post
there is a key fob recall lol will never do it get done emails all the time now they going to junk box i am 6/4 and my knee is nowhere near the ignition
I'm 6'2" and same. My knee never reaches up there. They contact me at least once a year and I tell them no.

Current Modifications:
  • Hurst Comp HardDrive Stick Kit
  • K&N Blackhawk CAI
  • Anvil Carbon Fiber Notch Spoiler
  • Ceramic Coated Satin Black Wrap
paulsandhu is offline   Reply With Quote