Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-20-2018, 01:35 PM   #1
l.abrego

Drives: 2015 summit white Camaro
Lfx motor replacement

So its been two weeks since I’ve blown the motor in my car it’s currently sitting at Chevy and they have told me there’s a hole underneath my block. Does anyone know where I could find another lfx motor? Or even if there’s a chance at rebuilding it? I want to hear from you guys what options are out there. And no I cannot afford to upgrade to a V8. Lol one day though.
l.abrego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 01:43 PM   #2
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
If you drive a 2015, are you not covered under the 5 year 100k?

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:01 PM   #3
l.abrego

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
If you drive a 2015, are you not covered under the 5 year 100k?
I highly doubt it will be covered since it was tuned. They are waiting for someone to come look at it and either approve the warranty or deny it and I feel like it will get denied.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:57 PM   #4
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by l.abrego View Post
I highly doubt it will be covered since it was tuned. They are waiting for someone to come look at it and either approve the warranty or deny it and I feel like it will get denied.
You never know. Worse comes to worse, maybe they can source and engine and help split the costs. Just raise hell, and get GM Corporate involved too if you need to. I would fight it before I dropped the coin to get a new LFX put in.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:58 PM   #5
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
I mean, everyone knows what they're getting in to when they tune their vehicle. It's kind of a pay to play zone.

That said. What happened to your motor? I money shifted mine and got the motor replaced (full bolt on, untuned) under warranty but I'm not sure if I got lucky or if I just doubled down with the right service manager present.

If you want the dealership to do it, you might be able to get them to find a used LFX motor since I'm pretty sure dealerships like to scoop up engines from previously wrecked vehicles. You don't really have a ton of options to be fair.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:35 PM   #6
l.abrego

Yeah I know what I was getting myself into when tuning. Thats why I’m almost sure they will deny warranty. Its not up to the dealership itself to determine if it will be covered, I was told someone will come down from Chevrolet or something from them to probably look at it and read the ecm. And what they think it is, is that it probably threw a rod.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:25 AM   #7
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 1LT RS Camaro
Quote:
Derek Lewis had 25 flashes on his ecu counter and a supercharger and they replaced his engine. They have to prove that the tune lead directly to your engine failure. Stick to your guns!
Kenny Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 02:54 PM   #8
l.abrego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Camaro View Post
Derek Lewis had 25 flashes on his ecu counter and a supercharger and they replaced his engine. They have to prove that the tune lead directly to your engine failure. Stick to your guns!
Thanks this brings some hope in me again lol. I won’t know until this week coming up I suppose. If they tell me they can’t warranty should I ask why and what their belief of failure was?
Old 07-21-2018, 03:11 PM   #9
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
It's worth a shot.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:23 PM   #10
captaincog

Drives: 1971 350RS/SS 4sp
Or just prepare to get screwed by GM like I did and pay the cash for a new engine. Now my engine was 14k past the 100k warranty with no performance mods. GM and the dealer were just nasty to the end. I am screwed since I still have a few payments left so I will just keep it and drive it. Good thing that I sorta still like my Camaro.
1971 RS/SS 350 4 speed Teal Green
captaincog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:58 PM   #11
l.abrego

They said if warranty didn’t cover it I was looking at 7-8k for a replacement. When I heard that My jaw basically dropped lol. I’ve seen used lfx motors for like 2k around that ballpark. And I know of plenty of mechanics around here that can put it in for me. But does anyone have a good recommendation of where to buy a motor? I’ve seen ebay and automotix
Old 07-22-2018, 12:24 AM   #12
Tajefe Couple

Drives: Never just fly under the radar
https://www.lkqonline.com/2014-Chevr...Digit-Opt-Lfx/
Old 07-22-2018, 06:14 AM   #13
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Convertible
Hoping Chevrolet will help you out with this, if not, I don't think I would be paying that much money for a replacement engine. I just jumped over to eBay where many salvage yards have fairly low mileage LFX engine for about $1600.00, some with free shipping. There are a number of them right here in our home state of NC. This would be a complete engine with all accessories.

Only car I have tuned is my 96 Impala SS, engine built and tuned by RPM Motorsports out of Garner. I don't touch my 2014 Camaro 2LT/RSS, if I want more HP I would trade her in for a SS/ZL1 or Z28, but that's not going to happen because I am happy with what I have.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:56 AM   #14
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
They said if warranty didn’t cover it I was looking at 7-8k for a replacement. When I heard that My jaw basically dropped lol. I’ve seen used lfx motors for like 2k around that ballpark. And I know of plenty of mechanics around here that can put it in for me. But does anyone have a good recommendation of where to buy a motor? I’ve seen ebay and automotix
If you want a new block, then buying it from a GM parts outlet is probably the best option. Scoggin Dickey Parts has them for just under $5.K.

A used block can be bought from a variety of sources that sell used parts. You can even try Copart.

I see low mileage engines on Ebay all the time. You can also check your local Craiglist for wrecking yards that may be parting out late model Camaro's.

What exactly happened? Throw a rod out through the side of the block running too much n20?
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote