Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 09-08-2012, 05:36 PM   #141
oklapike

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary SS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcjlp View Post
Thanks, I can't wait to get back. My camaro has spent a lot of time parked.

As for the SS, everything I've seen indicates a V-8 will be the only option, at least initially. It will most likely be the LS-3. A manual transmission should be offered.
Defintely the LS3, from what I've read Gen V V8s are not gonna happen with this car. I don't know if they're going to play it like the G8 GXP (which I wish they'd done for the Camaro), or if they're going to mate the L99 to auto-equipped SS sedans.
oklapike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #142
usmcjlp

Drives: 2SS/RS LS3 RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by oklapike View Post
Defintely the LS3, from what I've read Gen V V8s are not gonna happen with this car. I don't know if they're going to play it like the G8 GXP (which I wish they'd done for the Camaro), or if they're going to mate the L99 to auto-equipped SS sedans.
I think the Corvette, as the halo car, will get the Gen V V-8 when the C7 debuts. GM won't do anything to decrease the status of that vehicle. Especially, since the price difference between models has gotten smaller.

I have seen a couple of rumors that this vehicle will only have a 2 year run, similar to the 95-96 Impala SS.

When the new platform comes out, there will be a model revision and the SS will become a performance variant of a new model. But who knows?

I will order the manual, but I think they will have to offer an automatic transmision. A lot of folks will use this as a performance oriented family vehicle.
usmcjlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:52 PM   #143
Rhyder

Drives: 2012 45 Anniversary Vert
I like how everyone thinks On star has a clue about anything........
Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:54 PM   #144
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyder View Post
I like how everyone thinks On star has a clue about anything........
OnStar is irrelevant. The car is coming. It's been confirmed for months now.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:46 PM   #145
KingLSX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Will there be a manual trans option in this car or auto only?
6-speed manual and 8-speed auto. Car will also debut with the next generation V8

Good info here:

http://www.chevyssforums.com/forumdi...-SS-Discussion

The second they begin taking orders I am placing mine, its going to be a killer car. Love my 'Maro but I need a back seat for my daily.
KingLSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:54 PM   #146
usmcjlp

Smile Wouldn't this be awesome?

I found this on GMInsideNews.com:

Top secret: Supercharged 6.2 V8 HSV VF-Series?
Top secret: HSV VF-Series

Toby Hagon
9 August 2012
www.drive.com.au

HSV is refusing to even confirm the existence of the all-new VF-Commodore based range that is due in dealerships next year.

While Holden has confirmed the imminent arrival and model code of the heavily revised Commodore that will also be exported to the United States as a Chevrolet, HSV’s executives won’t even acknowledge there’s a fresh model in the pipeline.

“No comment,” is the most the company will say publically about the crucial new model that is expected to bring a new generation engine with significantly more power than the current 6.2-litre V8.

Australians will get a glimpse of the new VF Commodore later this year when the Nascar racing version is unveiled in the US. The VF is expected to be unveiled in February 2013.

HSV executives are understood to be quietly annoyed that Holden executives – and their General Motors counterparts - have been relatively open about developments with the upcoming VF Commodore, although their hands have been forced by the imminent export program that Americans are keen to pre-promote.

The new HSV range is believed to be getting a new V8 engine, with intense speculation pointing towards the supercharged 6.2-litre V8 shown last year in the Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 as the most likely option for the new VF-based HSV range.

Producing up to 410kW of power – 26 per cent more than the current 325kW performance heroes in the HSV range - it’s a significant step up and would overtake the rival Falcon GT, which makes 335kW of power from its 5.0-litre supercharged V8.

It’s not known whether an updated version of the existing 6.2-litre V8 will continue on some models.

Dealers say the new HSV range should arrive between August and October next year.

The new HSV range will benefit from the increased use of aluminium on the donor VF Commodore it will be based on, presumably leading to a lighter body that will aid handling, performance and fuel use.

Also expect more in the way of high-tech features, with Holden confirming the new VF Commodore will get “significant technology”, some of which is expected to include consumer-friendly connectivity as well as other features currently reserved for luxury cars, such as radar cruise control and auto braking.

HSV is also said to be working on a race car-like transaxle (a gearbox mounted on the rear axle) to increase differentiation from the regular Commodores.

Another unanswered question is what the new VF-based HSV range will be called.

Click link to continue article: http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...809-23wod.html
Attached Images

Old 09-08-2012, 09:27 PM   #147
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS
Question is will we get the HSV version? Is Holden still calling that trim SS-V or whatever it was for VE?

Hope we get a normal LS3 (or similar) N/A then another trim with the LSA so that drives down cost of the vehicle a bit for the N/A option.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Ringo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:33 PM   #148
usmcjlp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo64 View Post
Question is will we get the HSV version? Is Holden still calling that trim SS-V or whatever it was for VE?

Hope we get a normal LS3 (or similar) N/A then another trim with the LSA so that drives down cost of the vehicle a bit for the N/A option.

That would make sense. Do you think the SS will come in under 40K?

I guess it depends on how much of a niche product Chevy intends this to be. Most of what I'm seeing, makes me believe that this is intended to compete with the Charger and Taurus SHO. A lot depends on whether it will line up against the R/T or the SRT8. What do you guys think?
Old 09-08-2012, 09:47 PM   #149
oklapike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo64 View Post

Quote:
That would make sense. Do you think the SS will come in under 40K?

I guess it depends on how much of a niche product Chevy intends this to be. Most of what I'm seeing, makes me believe that this is intended to compete with the Charger and Taurus SHO. A lot depends on whether it will line up against the R/T or the SRT8. What do you guys think?
The thing about that is, if Chevy were to offer a supercharged variant to spec above the SS, what would they call it? The Chevy Z? That's why I'd argue for an actual name (Chevelle or Impala), that way a super SS sedan could have it's own Z-badge (Z16 or Z03) to mirror the Camaro and Corvette.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:03 PM   #150
usmcjlp

Quote:
The thing about that is, if Chevy were to offer a supercharged variant to spec above the SS, what would they call it? The Chevy Z? That's why I'd argue for an actual name (Chevelle or Impala), that way a super SS sedan could have it's own Z-badge (Z16 or Z03) to mirror the Camaro and Corvette.
I like the way you think. I'm not sure why they chose to call it SS.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:11 PM   #151
oklapike

Quote:
I like the way you think. I'm not sure why they chose to call it SS.
I'm not sure either...I will say this though, some things I've read about the new SS Sedan give me the impression that 'SS' is just a placeholder. I wouldn't be shocked if they 'surprise' us with a real name when it debuts at the Daytona 500 next year.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:21 PM   #152
usmcjlp

Quote:
I'm not sure either...I will say this though, some things I've read about the new SS Sedan give me the impression that 'SS' is just a placeholder. I wouldn't be shocked if they 'surprise' us with a real name when it debuts at the Daytona 500 next year.
I wouldn't either. GM kept everyone guessing on the ZL1 vs. Z28. But they did patent the SS name. We'll see.

I did read that this vehicle is only intended for a 2 year run. After that a new model will be added to the Chevy line up and the SS will become the performance variant of that model. Pure conjecture at this point.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:25 PM   #153
oklapike

Quote:
I wouldn't either. GM kept everyone guessing on the ZL1 vs. Z28. But they did patent the SS name. We'll see.

I did read that this vehicle is only intended for a 2 year run. After that a new model will be added to the Chevy line up and the SS will become the performance variant of that model. Pure conjecture at this point.
I hadn't heard that yet...from what I understand the assumption had been the SS Sedan would mirror the lifecycle of the VF Commodore in Australia, and that a follow-up car (if there is one) would ride on a variant of the Alpha platform.

I hope a 2 year run is either not the case, or there is a follow-up vehicle, because I won't be ready to buy until 2016 at the earliest.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:29 PM   #154
usmcjlp

I will try to find the article for you. Have you seen this site:

http://www.gminsidenews.com/index.php