Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / PA

Old 09-27-2013, 08:54 AM   #7617
Seer

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspeed View Post
I think it's a bit of a wash when looking at taxes vs. real estate values. While it's been 3 years since we were looking, the equivalent home in Allegheny may have had higher taxes (compared to Butler); however, the price was less.

Personally, I'd not let that be a factor in where to purchase as it'll only be a matter of time that taxes increase in Butler (SV and Mars, anyway).

Further, if kids aren't in anyone's picture, Beaver would be a no-brainer. It's crazy how values plummet when one crosses the imaginary line.
I'd rather pay into more home principal and own a property that has higher appreciation rate than paying a tax.

From what I am seeing, homes in Cranberry are appreciating faster than MOST areas in Allegheny county.

I really haven't seen homes in Allegheny County win the sq/ft vs. price battle with Butler and Beaver.
Seer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:13 AM   #7618
Swacer

Drives: 2018 GT350
I picked to live in Cranberry for a couple reasons...

1. The taxes. Now while Steve has a point that hte price goes down, that depends on where you're looking. In the north hills, for a house the same size we have in cranberry, we were looking at 30-50K extra, and our taxes would be higher. So it was a double loss in that regard for us. So living in Cranberry, I have the same size house, paid less, and I pay less yearly.

2. Emissions. I hate them. I was raised in Butler county, and I don't think I've ever really had a car that could pass emissions. My accord was a knocked out cat since I was 17 and I'm sure the camaro won't pass, nor do i care haha
Old 09-27-2013, 09:34 AM   #7619
demonspeed
not afraid of the wall

Drives: Camaros
Not saying my anecdotes are the unquestionable facts; rather, that's how it seemed to us when we were looking. At the end of the day, one needs to determine what's most important to them when buying a home.
demonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:43 AM   #7620
Swacer

Drives: 2018 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspeed View Post
Not saying my anecdotes are the unquestionable facts; rather, that's how it seemed to us when we were looking. At the end of the day, one needs to determine what's most important to them when buying a home.
1. Back yard
2. garage
3. no emissions.

hahahahha
Old 09-28-2013, 09:10 AM   #7621
flyinglow57

Drives: rumble bee,2SS 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Mac View Post
There's 4 or 5 acres for sale on lowries run road about 1 mile off the Csmp Horne exit. Pretty sure it's North Hills SD
My work is on lowries run. That place is a cliff. I need to get further away from my work. Id be called in for every bull shit thing.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:16 AM   #7622
flyinglow57

On a side note... Check out www.pghce.com. Its a new local car site.

Im not paying taxes or the high home prices for allegheny county. Ive looked at cranberry. But there is no property to buy. I dig mars and seven fields but my g/f really wants to get a job in hopewell, so that woukd be an hr drive and thats a little to far. I want home,garage,backyard.... Nice driveway to wash cars... Oh. No firetrucks or ambulances driving by every hour.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #7623
Jamie Mac
NCM-WINR

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM 2014 2LT Stingray
I think cheaper taxes in Cranberry will soon be a thing of the past but if you can save for a few years it could be worth it. We weren't thrilled about the school size there so we went with NH vs SV or NA.

Brendan, what's wrong with your Camaro that it won't pass emissions?
Old 09-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #7624
demonspeed
not afraid of the wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinglow57 View Post
Im not paying taxes or the high home prices for allegheny county. Ive looked at cranberry. But there is no property to buy. I dig mars and seven fields but my g/f really wants to get a job in hopewell, so that woukd be an hr drive and thats a little to far. I want home,garage,backyard.... Nice driveway to wash cars... Oh. No firetrucks or ambulances driving by every hour.
Hopewell isn't an hour away. Just go down Freedom Road and then hit 65. If you want a nice backyard then you should forget Seven Fields -- everything is on a hill! It is, however, a nice place to live (we've had our house here for 3 years). The worst thing that happens around here are deer eating our bushes in the winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Mac View Post
I think cheaper taxes in Cranberry will soon be a thing of the past but if you can save for a few years it could be worth it. We weren't thrilled about the school size there so we went with NH vs SV or NA.

Brendan, what's wrong with your Camaro that it won't pass emissions?
He's likely referring to it being sans-cats for visual inspection (we don't get scanned here in Butler County). Not sure how strict that's treated around here, but I'll find out myself in the spring (however, I'll only have ~1000 miles put on the past year, so not sure if I could be exempt from even visual). I may just end up taking it back home to my friends' shop.

Also, I would agree with you, Jamie, about our taxes becoming comparable sooner than later.

May I ask, though, what is it about school size that you were concerned about? I hear that quite often around here (usually in the context of people preferring Mars of SV due to the smaller size).
Old 09-28-2013, 03:40 PM   #7625
Jamie Mac
NCM-WINR

Steve, with a bigger school it's easier for a kid to get lost in the crowd and be a number vs a student. I experienced it growing up and also with the consolidation of our elementary schools here. I think my older two were challenged more with the smaller class sizes. The teachers really get to know the students and what they can handle. Every teacher, aid, janitor etc knew every kid and who their families were. Every kid knew every kid. My youngest has larger classes. He rarely has any homework and larger more challenging assignments are almost non existent. Just a guess on my part but I'm betting its due to teacher workload and having a larger number of kids in each class that need extra help. He doesn't know many of the kids in his grade. The larger school seems more like an assembly line in a Chinese factory in comparison. North Hills still has fine schools but we've been able to experience the difference whereas some friends of ours have only known the bigger elementary school and like it just fine. Personally, if I were picking between comparably ranked school districts, I would opt for the one with smaller class sizes and preferably overall smaller number of kids.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #7626
demonspeed
not afraid of the wall

What does one consider "large" around here?

I graduated with over 600 in my class. That seemed to be a fine amount of people; however, I obviously didn't experience anything else, lol
Old 09-28-2013, 05:34 PM   #7627
Jamie Mac
NCM-WINR

I don't know how many are at the high school. I graduated with around 1000 and that 10 year reunion was a waste of money. I barely knew anyone there. Lol. My older two kids had low 20's in their elementary classes. My youngest is closer to 30. He's in all the advanced stuff but I think my older two were challenged much more with their smaller classes.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:58 AM   #7628
Seer

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT
They have been saying that about taxes for 15 years. A good friend of mine is the tax collector. I also have spoken with many board members. At cranberrys current growth rate, no significant raises up for planning till 2020.
Seer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:11 AM   #7629
flyinglow57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seer View Post
They have been saying that about taxes for 15 years. A good friend of mine is the tax collector. I also have spoken with many board members. At cranberrys current growth rate, no significant raises up for planning till 2020.
I agree w you. There is soo much corporate income thats helping keep taxes down. Correct? I just need property.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:26 PM   #7630
Irishmic

Drives: 2014
Knock, Knock...

Who's there ??

Owen..

Owen who ???

0-4
Irishmic is offline   Reply With Quote