Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-09-2014, 08:53 AM   #1
Camaro the Hun
Shake N Bake, Baby!

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Bras, Paint and Closed Carriers

Hey is anybody else noticing that the paint on the 2014 2SS seems a little soft despite the M3? I've been getting scratches on it regularly and using Scratch X to remove some of them. However, I have a long, shallow scratch on the rear panel that, while Scratch X did make a big difference,
just won't go away. Anybody have any other recommendations on scratch removal products?

Also, I'm moving in a month and have a 500 mile one way trip ahead of me. Anything else aside from the bra you'd recommend for protecting a 2014 2SS/RS? I'll poop a lion if my rally stripes get torn up. Conversely, I have considered having the car shipped in a closed container. Anybody have recommendations for companies in the NE/East Coast?

Finally, I'm noticing a little damage to the rims..nothing anybody could see except me..but what do you recommend to clean them? I checked out the other threads on using Adams et al...brushes...which is what I'm using but I'm not terribly thrilled about the results. Love Adams for alot of things but not for rims.

Note to self, dark cars look amazing but are hell maintaining.

“The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
"May God have mercy on my enemies because I won't." General Patton
Camaro the Hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:18 PM   #2
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
If you are worried about typical road damage, you should consider having a "clear bra" product installed.

Aside from that, drive it. I've got plenty of highway miles on my car and several road trips longer than your move. I've got a 1LE, so the entire hood is wrapped, and no issues.

As for the wheels, treat them the same as the rest of your car. Wash and wax as needed. No special cleaners are needed.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:00 PM   #3
Camaro the Hun
Shake N Bake, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE View Post
If you are worried about typical road damage, you should consider having a "clear bra" product installed.

Aside from that, drive it. I've got plenty of highway miles on my car and several road trips longer than your move. I've got a 1LE, so the entire hood is wrapped, and no issues.

As for the wheels, treat them the same as the rest of your car. Wash and wax as needed. No special cleaners are needed.
Thanks!! Any advice on the scratch? I'm starting to think somebody "lightly" ran a key over it. Probably need to take it in but thought I'd see if there was a last ditch effort I can put out to remove it.

“The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
Old 05-20-2014, 08:22 PM   #4
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Depends on how bad it is. If it's through the paint, the only solution is to repaint the panel.

Post a picture if you can. There are several members here that can provide solid advice.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:51 AM   #5
Camaro the Hun
Shake N Bake, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE View Post
Depends on how bad it is. If it's through the paint, the only solution is to repaint the panel.

Post a picture if you can. There are several members here that can provide solid advice.

Here are three photos. I was able to buff it after this photo and it looks better but is not gone. Thanks for any insights you may have!
-Raven

Name:  20140521_164552.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  123.3 KB

Name:  20140521_164543.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  104.1 KB

Name:  20140521_164530.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  123.5 KB

Old 05-24-2014, 10:44 AM   #6
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
That's a pretty nasty look'n scratch. Have you tried a swirl/scratch remover using a machine like a porter cable? Maybe somebody sat on it posing for a pic. Pretty easy to scratch, but at least it doesn't look deep. Swirl Polish should help, then use a good sealer topped with a couple good coats of wax. Clear Bra is best for everyday road rash nicks. Good luck, hope it polishes out!
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 03:12 PM   #7
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
I'm 99%s sure that'll come right out. You'll need it machine polished.

If you were near me I'd take care of it in ten minutes for you at no charge.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 12-13-2014, 08:21 PM   #8
Camaro the Hun
Shake N Bake, Baby!

Thanks guys, I ended up getting the Adams polishing system and it came right out. This system has been great for the various scratches that happen. Thanks again for your insights and offers for assistance!

Old 12-14-2014, 09:03 AM   #9
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
If your rims have stains that aren't through the clearcoat yet, you can use white vinegar on a cleaned rim, use a clean towel, and hold it in the spot for 30 seconds and it will remove it.

If your vehicle doesn't have splash/rock guards for the front tires, I'd get some ASAP.

They look like this.

These will save your doors and rear panels from rock chips.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:33 AM   #10
Camaro the Hun
Shake N Bake, Baby!

Ah good tip I will give it a shot and see how far the stains are into the rims. Also, I guess I need to break out some dough and get those guards. Thanks for the tips!

Old 12-14-2014, 08:59 PM   #11
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
Geez, I see a lot of posts with alleged key scratches.

Not sure how I would react if I saw that.
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 04:10 PM   #12
Camaro the Hun
Shake N Bake, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
If your rims have stains that aren't through the clearcoat yet, you can use white vinegar on a cleaned rim, use a clean towel, and hold it in the spot for 30 seconds and it will remove it.

If your vehicle doesn't have splash/rock guards for the front tires, I'd get some ASAP.

They look like this.

These will save your doors and rear panels from rock chips.

Hey Joe how difficult are these to install? Also, where can I get them. I checked the Chevy Mall but didn't see the right ones or maybe they were and I don't know it!

Old 01-04-2015, 07:15 PM   #13
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro the Hun View Post
Hey Joe how difficult are these to install? Also, where can I get them. I checked the Chevy Mall but didn't see the right ones or maybe they were and I don't know it!
Mine were 2 screws, 1 clip, and 2 sided tape, about 5 minutes each.
I got mine on E-bay.
This is the link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVY-CHEVRO...item58bbb35b24

You can get some color matched ones but they cost 4 to 5 times as much, these are just basically plastic and don't really add to the look of the car, but have done a great job of protecting my car from chips, I haven't had any new chips since installing. Hope this helps.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote