Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-30-2013, 08:42 PM   #1
Netraa

Drives: 2014 2ss/rs
drag radial/dif question for the v6 a6 FAST guys.

I know this kinda belongs in the drag race folder, but I want to stay away from the 'buy a v8' bashing/lemmings. I'm looking at making a long term roadmap for the car, and i'd like to get first hand information from the guys that have BTDTGTTS. I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering this, i'm hoping to perhaps get a lot of this information into one place.

most all the guys on the NA V6 fast thread are LLT v6 a6 with drag radials and miscellaneous other pieces of eye/ear candy.

What are you using for DR's, size/type and are you still on the open rear dif or have you changed out to the V8 LSD or do you use some kind of air locker.

If your on the v8 dif, are you on the stock gears, or have you changed out to something lower?

When you do your burnouts, on an open dif, do you have problems getting both tires to spin, or does the combination of drag radials, and water make getting both of them up and running pretty easy?

Do you have a line lock installed?

anyone else with questions or answers feel free to jump in.
Netraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:11 PM   #2
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Back when I was into 1/4 racing I ran Nitto 555r 305-35 on 20" wheels (this was my daily). When I went FI'd I switched over to the LSD. Honestly I didn't notice a huge difference (except in burnouts). Still stock gears. No line lock.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:05 AM   #3
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netraa View Post
I know this kinda belongs in the drag race folder, but I want to stay away from the 'buy a v8' bashing/lemmings. I'm looking at making a long term roadmap for the car, and i'd like to get first hand information from the guys that have BTDTGTTS. I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering this, i'm hoping to perhaps get a lot of this information into one place.

most all the guys on the NA V6 fast thread are LLT v6 a6 with drag radials and miscellaneous other pieces of eye/ear candy.

What are you using for DR's, size/type and are you still on the open rear dif or have you changed out to the V8 LSD or do you use some kind of air locker.

If your on the v8 dif, are you on the stock gears, or have you changed out to something lower?

When you do your burnouts, on an open dif, do you have problems getting both tires to spin, or does the combination of drag radials, and water make getting both of them up and running pretty easy?

Do you have a line lock installed?

anyone else with questions or answers feel free to jump in.
Your choice of drag radials is really a personal choice. If you want something you can drive out to the track and drive back, the nt555r are the best for that. Because they will also allow you to "survive" in case of rain. Other drag radials, don't give you that luxury. Also, depending on the mods you have, the 555r should be plenty for a v6.

When on street tires, I don't have a problem spinning both wheels even on the stock open diff. A buddy with an auto v6 runs radials and he doesn't have too many problems either. What we do though is when he lines up, I'll stand by the side rail and watch his burn out. If he only gets one wheel to spin, I tell him to stop the burnout and back into the waterbox again. But it hardly ever happens really. He has M&H drag radials I believe. I've been wanting to get the most I can out of my car in street tires but I think the 14.1 I recently ran is the best I'll do on streets. I too am looking into a drag wheel/tire setup soon but I'll probably throw his on my car once or twice in the meantime

I don't believe that swapping to the v8 diff is a major advantage on a stock to bolt on v6. The v8 diff is heavier and also requires more power to move. On an FI or nitrous car, it's a great investment.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:04 AM   #4
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Since I have been to the track over a dozen times and made close to 150 passes, I guess I am no longer a rookie and can chime in with some good information.

First I have a V6 LLT A6 and currently sit #7 on the ¼ mile list and #5 on the 1/8 mile list. I also am tied for first for 60’ @ 1.936. I know all this because I study those threads closely and have my own spread sheet for the top ten for information.

As for which DR to buy, depends on what you plan to do with them. For me they were strictly going on at home, drive to the track, and return home, remove, store and what for the next track day. My first purchase was a set of used 305’s Nitto’s (big mistake) they were more used than led to believe. But that is another story. What I did learn is that this is too much tire for our V6. Too heavy. Too much Friction. I know this thru the spread sheets of comparing times, 60’, 1/8, and ¼ times and speed. I was not happy. I bought them thinking I would launch at a higher RPM. Not the case. The real problem is I probably couldn’t get enough heat into them spinning the tires.

My next move was to buy a friend of mines 18” DR. He used them a couple times on his SS and this was plenty of tire for him. This is what I am still using today. They are listed below.
2 18'x9.5" Corvette C-6 Z-06 wheels and 2 Mickey Thompson Street ET II drag radials 265/40/18
This combination gives my stock gear ratio of 3.27 a bump to a simulated gear ration of 3.57, because the tire dia. Is 2” less overall. (word of caution) this does affect all the traction control stuff. Shuts it all down after you drive approx.. 1 mile. Dash lights up with a few warning etc. However, it does not affect the drivability other than you have none of the nannies. Which is fine because I don’t want them under ideal conditions at the track. As for these performing in the rain, this won’t be an issue because I never plan to go to the track with them on if there is a threat of rain. Fortunately for me the track is only 45 minutes away too.
Now for some burnout help. First thing I do is turn both my outer mirrors down and in so that I can see the tires. This will help in letting you know if they are spinning or not. I back into the water box (this track you do not drive thru the box). I shift into paddle mod and pull forward a few feet, apply the brake with my left foot. Give it some gas and get the tires spinning. IF they both start to spin I keep applying gas and shift into second and apply more gas. I try and get them both spinning for 4 – 5 seconds and see white smoke. Now they are both good and hot. If one side or the other stops spinning, I try rolling forward slightly and try again. Sometimes it works sometimes not. IT is a tricky one getting them both to go together for a while.

I pull to the light, shift back into S mode. I let the Camaro electronics do the shifting for me. Bring the revs up to only 1000 with both feet applying the brake and gas. On the second to last yellow, I lift the left foot and apply the right foot.

Hopefully this helps.

Here is my new PB pass, with my best burnout, best 60’.

Enjoy.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:27 AM   #5
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
Do you think 305/45-18 NT555R would be a good tire to use on our v6's? I know that my 245/50-19 all-season tires spin like hell and I am looking to upgrade the tires. Figured I could get 18 inch wheels to lighten up.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:48 AM   #6
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForceGB View Post
Do you think 305/45-18 NT555R would be a good tire to use on our v6's? I know that my 245/50-19 all-season tires spin like hell and I am looking to upgrade the tires. Figured I could get 18 inch wheels to lighten up.
305 is way too big for a na v6.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:39 AM   #7
J_Vibe92

Drives: 2013 Mustang 5.0
what do y'all think of the firestone wide hawks from tirerack for 18in tires. would these be good for track and street.
Visual mods: Eagle Eyes w/5k hids, Custom Hood Spears, Heritage Grille, Stage 2 LED Dome lights,Transformer Emblems, PD Bezels, 19in Chevy rims with pirellis, Blue painted calipers, GM GFX Front Splitter, 35/20 % Tint, TailLight Tint(charcoal)
1/4 Mile: 13.65 sec @ 102.53 mph R.I.P.
J_Vibe92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:24 AM   #8
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I have read enough great tips and things from guys like RTcat600man and scrming and others that even though I have NEVER been to a 1/4 mile track before, I feel like if I ever do I will have a good idea of the techniques I want to use.

I feel a decent burn out on a DR (or at least a good cleaning on stock tires) is necessary, along with launching from a low RPM (in an auto) is the keys to turning the best times.

If I was tracking the car often, I'd go with the rear tire setup that rtcat600man has above for sure.

Fortunately it looks as though a new track may be opening up within 45 mins to an hour drive from me within the next year or so, so I may just get to make some passes
Old 05-01-2013, 10:38 AM   #9
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I have read enough great tips and things from guys like RTcat600man and scrming and others that even though I have NEVER been to a 1/4 mile track before, I feel like if I ever do I will have a good idea of the techniques I want to use.

I feel a decent burn out on a DR (or at least a good cleaning on stock tires) is necessary, along with launching from a low RPM (in an auto) is the keys to turning the best times.

If I was tracking the car often, I'd go with the rear tire setup that rtcat600man has above for sure.

Fortunately it looks as though a new track may be opening up within 45 mins to an hour drive from me within the next year or so, so I may just get to make some passes

AWESOME........Careful it can be addicting, like the mod bug.

Thanks for the compliments too.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #10
simt3k

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS 2LT
Hey RT you got both tires to spin? Is yours a manual?
simt3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:20 PM   #11
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Yes, both will spin, I am an Automatic.

More proof from 3 years ago with stock tires.
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2013, 12:21 PM   #12
simt3k

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS 2LT
I was told they can only do a one wheel wonder nice to see that guy was wrong!
simt3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:59 PM   #13
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by simt3k View Post
If there is around equal traction to both wheels, it seems that both will spin, otherwise only one.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #14
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by simt3k View Post
He wasn't wrong, technically an open differential is only supposed to be able to spin one wheel. What seems to happen is that if both wheels have equal traction, both will spin. As soon as the car senses that one wheel has more traction than another, only one will spin

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote