Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-11-2014, 10:33 PM   #1
mbowen89

Drives: 2015 CRT 2SS/RS 1LE
Question Help me pimp my new '14 camaro!! ;)

Hey everyone, I just bought my new 2014 Camaro LT, RRM!

That's my Cobalt LS back there by the way, I actually WON it in '08. You can see I had added wheels and spoiler to it :P

So now that I have my new Camaro, I would like to do some stuff to it. I'm an electrical engineer and am not that familiar with car mechanics etc, and I would like to learn more. I don't plan on doing much if anything for performance modifications, mostly just cosmetics. I would love it if you guys would give me your advice and feedback!

Here is a list of some of the things I was wanting to possible do:

• New rims
  • Window tint
  • Exhaust (axle back?)
  • CAI
  • Headlights

1. Rims:
    I mentioned I wanted some black rims, kind of like what I have on my Cobalt, and they said black is the crappiest rims to get. I see quite a few cars on here that are rolling the red car/black rims setup and I personally like it. I'm not wanting to spend a lot of money on this.

Here's the rim's I was thinking about: http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fin...pc=62858&wd=18

This is the kind of price I want to pay ($150). As you can see I live in Minnesota, and it snows quite a bit for sure. I'm in more of the metro area so roads are cleared pretty dang quick. I know I can always get some winter tires, but I think I will wait til another snow to figure out if I need them.

The other thing is IDK if I should get 20's instead of 18's. The downside of that would be I need to get new tires too, then what do I do with these 18" tires with only 60 miles on them?

2. Window tint, well in MN the law is 50%. My Cobalt had probably around 30% which was legal there, but I got fined after driving a year here. I'm not sure 50% tint would even be worth it... What do you think?
  3. Exhaust... not for performance, just for the cool sound. I've seen around that the MRT Axle-Back Exhaust V2. is supposed to be a great buy. This should work on my 2014? Looks like the instructions show it just takes cutting the stock pipe right by muffler and bolting these on... how much would a shop charge for something like this, seems like it shouldn't take long at all.... or find a buddy that could do it. Polished or black tips on my car?
  4. Cold air intake... again I'm not necessarily looking for HP gains, but supposedly this can create a cooler sound. The one on CAI is $400, is it worth it?
  5. So I have the halogen headlights... I like the HID's more with the halo and all that. Is there any way to sell these somewhere and buy the HID's with the difference?

I'd appreciate all feedback, comments, opinions, and help. I'm loving my Camaro a lot and hope to get the most out of it!

PS, what's the opinion on adding a spoiler to this as well?
mbowen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:33 PM   #2
coryrulez9

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS Blue Ray
I'll take a stab at the rims idea. Why don't you plastidip (dipyourcar.com; not permanent) or paint your current rims? Total cost would be very little and save for the other mods. Can always upgrade the rims later on even more but can get the look you want now for cheap.
coryrulez9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:35 PM   #3
coryrulez9

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS Blue Ray
Side note I just got my Camaro 3 weeks ago and went from a Imperial Blue 2008 Cobalt 2LT to a 14 2LS Camaro Blue Ray. Very similar upgrade but blue instead of red. Sadly I didn't win my cobalt.
coryrulez9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:38 PM   #4
mbowen89

https://www.dipyourcar.com/Kit-Wheels-Gloss-Finish.html

Like this? Does it actually look like a real glossy black wheel? Nobody would know different?

Have you done anything to your camaro yet then?
Old 02-12-2014, 12:16 AM   #5
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Gills!
Indydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:23 AM   #6
WCoolBreeze
2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS, Red Garnet Tint
Quote:
Originally Posted by coryrulez9 View Post
Side note I just got my Camaro 3 weeks ago and went from a Imperial Blue 2008 Cobalt 2LT to a 14 2LS Camaro Blue Ray. Very similar upgrade but blue instead of red. Sadly I didn't win my cobalt.
There are NO 2008 or 2009 CAMARO'S. The 5th Gen started production on March 16th, 2009 and the first cars were delivered shortly there after. You could PRE-ORDER the 2010 Camaro starting on October 13th, 2008. I myself waited 9 months for my Pre-Ordered 2010 2LT/RS Camaro.

Walt B.

Gen6, 2016 Camaro 2SS, Red Garnet Tint (with Silver Rally Stripes)

Ordered: 2-12-2016
TPW: 3-7-2016
Built: 3-7-2016
VIN 1G1FH78G0157626
Delivered: 4-26-2016
WCoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:38 AM   #7
mbowen89

Why did you say that? He said he had an 08 cobalt.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:07 AM   #8
PeeBee

Drives: "Bee" ZL585, Dark Blue Suburban.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCoolBreeze View Post
There are NO 2008 or 2009 CAMARO'S. The 5th Gen started production on March 16th, 2009 and the first cars were delivered shortly there after. You could PRE-ORDER the 2010 Camaro starting on October 13th, 2008. I myself waited 9 months for my Pre-Ordered 2010 2LT/RS Camaro.

Walt B.
from a Imperial Blue 2008 Cobalt 2LT to a 14 2LS Camaro Blue Ray
PeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:11 AM   #9
baum

Drives: 2013 1LS, 2013 Ram 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbowen89 View Post

That's my Cobalt LS back there by the way, I actually WON it in '08. You can see I had added wheels and spoiler to it :P

So now that I have my new Camaro, I would like to do some stuff to it. I'm an electrical engineer and am not that familiar with car mechanics etc, and I would like to learn more. I don't plan on doing much if anything for performance modifications, mostly just cosmetics. I would love it if you guys would give me your advice and feedback!

• New rims
  • Window tint
  • Exhaust (axle back?)
  • CAI
  • Headlights

1. Rims:
    I mentioned I wanted some black rims, kind of like what I have on my Cobalt, and they said black is the crappiest rims to get. I see quite a few cars on here that are rolling the red car/black rims setup and I personally like it. I'm not wanting to spend a lot of money on this.

Here's the rim's I was thinking about: http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fin...pc=62858&wd=18

This is the kind of price I want to pay ($150). As you can see I live in Minnesota, and it snows quite a bit for sure. I'm in more of the metro area so roads are cleared pretty dang quick. I know I can always get some winter tires, but I think I will wait til another snow to figure out if I need them.

The other thing is IDK if I should get 20's instead of 18's. The downside of that would be I need to get new tires too, then what do I do with these 18" tires with only 60 miles on them?

2. Window tint, well in MN the law is 50%. My Cobalt had probably around 30% which was legal there, but I got fined after driving a year here. I'm not sure 50% tint would even be worth it... What do you think?
  3. Exhaust... not for performance, just for the cool sound. I've seen around that the MRT Axle-Back Exhaust V2. is supposed to be a great buy. This should work on my 2014? Looks like the instructions show it just takes cutting the stock pipe right by muffler and bolting these on... how much would a shop charge for something like this, seems like it shouldn't take long at all.... or find a buddy that could do it. Polished or black tips on my car?
  4. Cold air intake... again I'm not necessarily looking for HP gains, but supposedly this can create a cooler sound. The one on CAI is $400, is it worth it?
  5. So I have the halogen headlights... I like the HID's more with the halo and all that. Is there any way to sell these somewhere and buy the HID's with the difference?

I'd appreciate all feedback, comments, opinions, and help. I'm loving my Camaro a lot and hope to get the most out of it!

Welcome to the club!!

on a side note.. im in MN also and depending on when/if you get new rims i may be interested in buying these off your hands if the price is right. Im in the southern mpls suburbs area.

I also hate our tint laws. the biggest problem now days is some shops wont even tint past the legal limit because it hold them liable even if you sign a waiver. they can get like a $10k fine.
baum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:56 AM   #10
Swacer

Drives: 2018 GT350
Did he really say....pimp?
Old 02-12-2014, 06:59 AM   #11
mbowen89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swacer View Post
Did he really say....pimp?
Haha it's just an expression... I was waiting for someone to comment on that :P
Old 02-12-2014, 07:48 AM   #12
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:00 AM   #13
HmBuilder2

Drives: 2014 RRM 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbowen89 View Post

• New rims
  • Window tint
  • Exhaust (axle back?)
  • CAI
  • Headlights

1. Rims:

Cograts on your new Camaro
Here is my 2014 RS, RRM, I say to upgrade your wheels to 20's.
I love mine,
Attached Images

HmBuilder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:04 AM   #14
2SS 2011

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Black
Supercharger or twin turbos.. Get off the bench and into the big leagues
2SS 2011 is offline   Reply With Quote