Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 06-28-2018, 01:33 AM   #1
SRTLOL

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 6M
Tranny mount TT daily driver questions

Hey guys, I am back and forth on going supercharger or TT for my 2010 ss. I have been leaning towards a supercharger but keep thinking about TT for the ease of adjustability. I love the look of the Hellion engine bay kit but the heat under the hood and relocating the fuse box are holding me back. I have thought about the tranny mount turbo setup but this car is my daily. Not by force as I also own a truck but I just enjoy driving it more(go figure). Would you guys recommend going against going tranny mount turbo setup as I do sometimes drive it in the rain. I don't drive it in the short winter we have so snow is not an issue.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:53 AM   #2
GT Kilr

Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS
For strictly a daily, a supercharger is going to be about as good as it gets. You have to be pretty hardcore to actually daily turbo car. My car has low mounted twins, and I honestly haven't driven it enough to comment on issues with rain. I did stumble across a thread here where a guy with the AGP kit sucked up a bunch of water but he did not have the cold air kit that places the filters behind the fender and fender liner. Regarding your two options, there is very little maintenance involved with a supercharger, besides gear oil every so often. Once you bolt it on and go, thats pretty much it. Instant torque, and simplicity are the key points here. On the turbo side, the heat generation is immense, even in my setup, but it's not really an issue since it's under the car. I am one of the lucky ones, because I have oil-less turbo's, but any oil fed turbo will likely cause more frequent oil changes, which may be more difficult due to the placement of piping. I have to loosen two T bolt clamps to take my oil filter off. On the plus side, the car will be as tame as it ever was until you put your foot in it, and when you do, there is this awesome slingshot effect from the huge surge of torque once full boost comes in. The potential for more power is also much greater without worry of heat soak or over spinning the rotor pack. Adjustability is also a strong point, controlling boost is as simple as a $75 Turbosmart Boost Tee. It just depends on your tolerance level. If you can live with the relative complexity and maintenance needs of a turbo car, by all means, go for it, mine is a blast. A supercharger, whether it be TVS, Twin Screw, or a Centrifugal, will be much simpler and easier to live with. I plan on daily driving my car as much as possible and my setup is definitely heavily race oriented. I have a 3700 Circle D converter in a stock 6L80, forged bottom end 377 with twin oil-less 62's via a Huron speed twin kit. It made 560whp on a mustang dyno with a conservative break-in tune, at only 7psi, on straight 93 pump gas. The only thing that has changed from being stock to now that affected drivability is the converter. So, it all comes down to tolerance level and intended use, really. If its a true daily, I'd go with a Procharger.
GT Kilr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:10 AM   #3
jeff657756

Drives: 2014 SS 1LE
I daily my agp kit in the summer and its fine. I always get caught in downpours and everything is fine. Twin 57s on e85 @ 14 psi. Stock bottom end.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:58 AM   #4
Moreair1

Drives: 2011 ss convertible
Agp tt kit here as well(no cold air kit either), driven through huge down pours with standing water on the road no issues my car now has 15k with the turbos, also oil changes are no problem for me, as in no extra steps but I do have a m6
Old 06-28-2018, 08:53 AM   #5
2010SUMMITSS

Drives: 2010 2SS
i had a supercharger and switched to a agp kit and it was a great decision. agp kit is awesome,i have daily driven mine with 899 rwhp for two years and driven in a lot of rain with no issues at all, no issues with oil changes or any other maintenance either.
2010SUMMITSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:27 AM   #6
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
Mine isn't a daily driver because drag radials wear out fast and E85 and a heavy foot don't equate to good gas mileage but I have had exactly one issue with my AGP kit in the several years I've had them. It was a broken shaft in one of the turbos. It was taken care of quickly, courteously and at no charge to me except for shipping it back to them.

Don't let the broken shaft scare you. You know things break sometimes. Kevin@AGP said it it was a freak thing because of the thickness of the shaft leading me to believe I was the only person to experience it with one of their turbos. Same turbo, new shaft, and making oodles of HP again makes me happy.

I have also received nothing less than stellar customer service from them when I had a question also.

I came from a Ysi and am now a turbo lover.

Come up to KC and take a ride in mine and you can look the kit over in person.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:44 AM   #7
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
I'll second Blakes comments and while it isn't an AGP kit, I have low mount turbos. I don't drive it in the rain anymore but I used to often. I never had an issue...

As for a comment someone made about daily driving a TT Camaro, why not... good fuel efficiency as long as you keep your foot out of it.... Very reliable as long as the tune is right....

AGP has many happy customers.... and at this late stage of the game, the TT kits have been figured out.... It isn't development and testing at this point... We know what works and what doesn't....

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:20 AM   #8
dreksnot
Served USN - Atomic Chimp

Drives: 13 Camaro LSX434 TT M6, 21 ZLE A10
I've had my AGP twin (mid-mount) for about 4-1/2 years and 35,000 miles on my M6. Started at a lowly at 590rwhp and now I'm about 825rwhp. Zero turbo issues but have had other issues like killing axle CVs due to the power. Not sure what some are stating with "extra" maintenance issues with turbos, 'cause I haven't been doing anything other than putting gas in and driving (like driving a stolen rental).

Here's the easiest way to sum things up - Good setup, Good results; Bad setup, Bad results. We've seen a lot of both here.

Some of the others have stated their experience (and opinions) above. I agree with most but not all (so, what). My 825rwhp car is a daily (99.9%) of the time, and weekend warrior at the track, autocross (0.1%). I drive in the rain, ain't ever had a problem. I've treated oil changes with the twins the same as stock requirements.

Most of my FI buds have SC's, and those cars run like solid. Again, the good is good and the bad is bad - and choosing the right tuner is a deal maker-or-breakr on experience. One recommendations I'd have is to have your exhaust manifold and turbo adapters ceramic/Jet-Hot coated; same principle-wise as doing that with headers. It did make my floorboards cooler after that little task. I've not had heat issues, but like to add the ounce of prevention (better late than never).

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX434 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalizer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | Brisk GR12S | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Triple 525LPH Fore Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 4.11 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates

Last edited by dreksnot; 06-28-2018 at 11:07 AM.
dreksnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:21 AM   #9
Moreair1

Drives: 2011 ss convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake-b View Post
Mine isn't a daily driver because drag radials wear out fast and E85 and a heavy foot don't equate to good gas mileage but I have had exactly one issue with my AGP kit in the several years I've had them. It was a broken shaft in one of the turbos. It was taken care of quickly, courteously and at no charge to me except for shipping it back to them.

Don't let the broken shaft scare you. You know things break sometimes. Kevin@AGP said it it was a freak thing because of the thickness of the shaft leading me to believe I was the only person to experience it with one of their turbos. Same turbo, new shaft, and making oodles of HP again makes me happy.

I have also received nothing less than stellar customer service from them when I had a question also.

I came from a Ysi and am now a turbo lover.

Come up to KC and take a ride in mine and you can look the kit over in person.
If you take a Ride in Blakes car 2 things will happen,
1. You will need a change of shorts
2. Everything will feel slow
Blakes car is a monster
Old 06-28-2018, 11:06 AM   #10
mrimpala02

Drives: Black 2SS RS w/White Stripes
+1 AGP setup here.

I do not daily, but I drive it hard when I do and changing oil about every 3,000 miles since I drive it hard in the Texas heat!
Pat G Custom Turbo CamMotion Camshaft | AGP TT BB Garrett 62/65's | AGP/Fore Triple Pumps | ID1700X Injectors | Alky Control Twin Nozzle Meth | Custom 3" Exhaust | 3.27 gear set w/ Tru Trac | McLeod Twin RXT | Barton Short Throw Shifter | 6th Gen ZL1 Wheels | BMR 1.4" drop springs | Pfadt rear trailing arms & tie rods |

Installed by Me & Tuned by Pat G
mrimpala02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:57 PM   #11
SRTLOL

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 6M
Thanks for all the replies everybody! It looks like the money that has been saved and the future savings will be going towards a twin turbo kit. I can only imagine what the car will feel like once I get into the FI game. The quickest car I've driven was my buddies 605hp evo which was a blast but even at 418 to the wheels with long tubes and an intake the camaro feels way more fun. My goal is 550-600 for the car which is easily doable with a turbo setup. I want to keep it reliable and get as many smiles per gallon as possible haha
Old 06-28-2018, 04:58 PM   #12
AGP Turbo

Drives: All things Turbocharged
Not a single customer has ever sucked up water that killed an engine with the AGP kit. No need to get the cold air intakes. A small percentage of people are just too dumb to be modding cars. Some guys are wife beaters, child molesters, liars and cheats, and some percentage of those are going to own a Camaro5's. We deal with a couple nutjobs a year.
AGP Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:36 PM   #13
dreksnot
Served USN - Atomic Chimp

Drives: 13 Camaro LSX434 TT M6, 21 ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGP Turbo View Post
Not a single customer has ever sucked up water that killed an engine with the AGP kit. No need to get the cold air intakes. A small percentage of people are just too dumb to be modding cars. Some guys are wife beaters, child molesters, liars and cheats, and some percentage of those are going to own a Camaro5's. We deal with a couple nutjobs a year.

HEY!!!! You talking about me again???

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX434 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalizer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | Brisk GR12S | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Triple 525LPH Fore Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 4.11 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
dreksnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:43 PM   #14
AGP Turbo

Drives: All things Turbocharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreksnot View Post
HEY!!!! You talking about me again???
YOU'RE #1 !!!!!!
AGP Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote