Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-14-2009, 11:08 AM   #1
mhardy

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Interior lighting not on dash?

Was wondering about the interior lighting on the door panels/dash. My 2SS lights up the doors but not the dash is that normal or is it a defect.
mhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:12 AM   #2
len56

Drives: 2010, or 2011 Yellow Camaro2LT
nope they got rid of it on the dash

>.>
len56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:13 AM   #3
CamaroHutch

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RJT

2SS RS RJT

Delivery?? 5/27/09 #10630

AFTERMARKET:
Hurst STS
Borla ATAK Catback
CamaroHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:14 AM   #4
InfernoFlame
SUPRMNN

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM/IOM
normal...
InfernoFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:35 AM   #5
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhardy View Post
Was wondering about the interior lighting on the door panels/dash. My 2SS lights up the doors but not the dash is that normal or is it a defect.
I guess it would be appropriately called an "Intentional Defect".

for some reason that nobody has bothered to explain, they could not complete the design for the dashboard lighting as illustrated in the pre-release photos and movies.

Instead of holding up production for the completion, they released the car without completing the dash lighting.

Subsequently, a number of excuses have emerged to explain the lack of complete lighting. The first to emerge was a rumor that there was a problem with the lighting during heat testing of the car. Speculation abounded that the panel warped or cracked under extreme heat (which is odd because the door panels did not have this problem).

Recently, apologists have seized upon the notion that the lights were removed because they would distract or impair the night vision of the driver, while completely overlooking the fact that the instrument and radio displays are far brighter and would also need to be removed under that pretense.

We're still waiting official word that the lighting will be completed later this model year or starting with the 2011 year. Speculation has it that they do not want to say anything for fear of being innundated with complaints and requests for a fix/upgrade to vehicles already shipped.

Stay tuned. We will bring you more info as it arrives.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:52 AM   #6
Grandeos
Automotive Designer

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS (LS3)
I think I might be able to shed some light on this "Ambient Lighting" issue...

When I ordered my car (beginning of July), my salesman told me one of his customers actually got a car with the full lighting kit, including the dash. He said it worked for about 3 weeks, flickered, then stopped working. From what the salesman said, this must have been a pre-production car from one of the early assemblies.

My guess is that they didnt get the kinks worked out of it, so they just scrapped the dashboard lighting. When I had my civic, I was (sad to admit) all into the accessory lighting. I at one point even had 11 neons on the interior...... and had to replace about half of them at one point or another. Even when i had aftermarket "halos" or "angel eyes".... the LEDs would work for a little while.... but sooner or later would get weak, flicker, then die.

If this happened to even a small percentage of production vehicles, the cost and labor time to replace the panels would surely hurt their bottom line. Unfortunately... this is why OEMs take forever to catch up with the aftermarket... and sometimes never do.