Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-05-2015, 09:56 AM   #1
Orange 2010 Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
How Low Can You Safely Lower?

Ok, here's the deal. I have put 19 in. wheels on my 2010 SS/RS Camaro, & am using 275/35/19 in. Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires.

With the 35 aspect ratio sidewalls of the tires in addition of the 19 in. BBS CHR wheels, I now have a 3.250 in. TIRE TO FENDER GAP on both ends of the car!

I am getting ready to install a Ride Tech HQ Level 2 coil over suspension & WOULD LIKE to lower the car AT LEAST 1.5 in. (or possibly 2.0 in.) to get the tire to fender gap back to about ONE INCH ( OR LESS).

The Level 2 HQ system is capable of lowering the car a FULL 2 in., but I have read from a few vendors on this forum that it IS NOT ADVISABLE to lower the 2010-2015 Camaro over 1.250 in. in the REAR, do to the EXCESSIVE DRIVE SHAFT ANGLES that it would cause.

There are also SEVERAL companies that sell LOWERING SPRINGS that will lower the Camaro (WELL OVER 1.250 in. in THE REAR) & say nothing to the effect that using them may cause damage to the DRIVE AXLES!

SO WHO DO YOU BELIEVE! & what is the SAFE LOWERING DIMENSION FOR THE GEN 5 Camaro?

Would you guys who have lowered your Camaro OVER 1.25 in. IN THE REAR, PLEASE LET ME KNOW how much you have SAFELY lowered your Camaro, using it as a daily driver.

Thanks In Advance For ALL Your Help.

Orange 2010 Camaro
Orange 2010 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:46 AM   #2
Camarodriver2

Drives: FOR SALE! Bumblebee 1 of 1
I wouldn't go lower than 1.5" max. Geometry would be impacted too much and you also lose suspension travel.
My 1 of 1 Bumblebee: Paint=House of Kolor Sunrise. Shaved door handles and concept handles added. Shark fin removed, concept mirrors, Showstoppers concept LED side marker lights. Wiper blades removed, muffler delete, and Range AFM disable. BMR springs lowered 1" rear and 1.4" front and added Eibach wheel spacers - 20mm rear and 25mm front.
Camarodriver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:09 AM   #3
mikepage0007

Drives: 2010 camaro
I tried to run coilovers at 1.75 and found that it would wear the inside of rear tires really bad..could not adjust camber any better to prevent this from happening..went back to 1.5 and no issues with tire wear.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:10 PM   #4
rockrau

Drives: 2010 2ss red LS3
No lower than 650mm from top of wheel arch to lower wheel lip. $0.02
Pedders Pace Car Kit with ZL1 sway bar conversion & camber bolt kit.Lowered 1.5". 1LE tires & wheels. CAI air intake. Anvil CF rear spoiler.MGW shifter. 1 7/8" Kooks LT headers & HF cats.V-Max ported TB. Tuned.
rockrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 04:32 PM   #5
H-E
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 zr1 Camaro 2011 vert
The more you lower your car the more angle it puts into your AXLES.This puts the axles at a bad angle which means they will not hold near the power of an unlowered car.This not only leads to a much greater chance e of them breaking but makes them very inefficient and prematurely wear.If you look at axle breakage its almost always on lowered cars,coil overs are a lot more likely since there lowered even more.This is the reason we finally released our special diff bushings to the public.These bushings effectively UN lower the car.Give me a call and we can help you out we have just a few sets left
H-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 04:39 PM   #6
Caswell239

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by H-E View Post
The more you lower your car the more angle it puts into your AXLES.This puts the axles at a bad angle which means they will not hold near the power of an unlowered car.This not only leads to a much greater chance e of them breaking but makes them very inefficient and prematurely wear.If you look at axle breakage its almost always on lowered cars,coil overs are a lot more likely since there lowered even more.This is the reason we finally released our special diff bushings to the public.These bushings effectively UN lower the car.Give me a call and we can help you out we have just a few sets left

Can we see pictures of said bushings?
Caswell239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:51 PM   #7
Orange 2010 Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Ok, now I am even more confused. Could you please explain in simple terms, how special bushings will UN-Lower the Camaro? I am VERY interested in these bushings, if you can convince me that they will in fact work!

Attached is a photo of my 2010 SS with only 10,000 mi. on the clock.

Orange 2010 Camaro
Attached Images

Orange 2010 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:49 PM   #8
brokencilence

Drives: '14 1LE, Z28.R
I am guessing these "diff bushings" raise the diff to compensate for the lower stance of the car? Thus getting the axle angles back to what they were before lowering the car...?
Old 04-05-2015, 10:12 PM   #9
Dblock5

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
Quote:
I would like to see these bushings
Old 04-05-2015, 11:34 PM   #10
H-E
Account Suspended

Have
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange 2010 Camaro View Post
Ok, now I am even more confused. Could you please explain in simple terms, how special bushings will UN-Lower the Camaro? I am VERY interested in these bushings, if you can convince me that they will in fact work!

Attached is a photo of my 2010 SS with only 10,000 mi. on the clock.

Orange 2010 Camaro
I'm sorry I don't have any simpler way than saying it moves the diff up.I would never try to convince you of anything I would hope the fact that we hold every GM passenger car record would do that for me ..If you want to call me I'll try my best to explain it.Call anytime I'll be glad to talk to you about it
Old 04-05-2015, 11:39 PM   #11
Caswell239

Basically my understanding is it moves the diff up as he says, putting the angles in the axles to a more stock angle.not putting as much stress on the joints
Old 04-06-2015, 08:15 AM   #12
rockrau

Drives: 2010 2ss red LS3
Say for instance the Camaro has 6" of wheel travel, 3" up, 3" down. You lowered the car 1.5". You now have 1.5" up travel and 4.5" down travel. The axles now are rarely straight vrs. stock mostly straight. Some of us who have lowered our cars have had our axle boots split and then have them reworked... and then there is the issue of rear suspension binding according to the experts(not me) here on camaro5. So, the "experts" reccomend NOT to lower beyond 660mm with 20" wheels, 648mm with 19" wheels,635mm with 18" wheels. $0.02.
Pedders Pace Car Kit with ZL1 sway bar conversion & camber bolt kit.Lowered 1.5". 1LE tires & wheels. CAI air intake. Anvil CF rear spoiler.MGW shifter. 1 7/8" Kooks LT headers & HF cats.V-Max ported TB. Tuned.
rockrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:19 PM   #13
H-E
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockrau View Post
Say for instance the Camaro has 6" of wheel travel, 3" up, 3" down. You lowered the car 1.5". You now have 1.5" up travel and 4.5" down travel. The axles now are rarely straight vrs. stock mostly straight. Some of us who have lowered our cars have had our axle boots split and then have them reworked... and then there is the issue of rear suspension binding according to the experts(not me) here on camaro5. So, the "experts" reccomend NOT to lower beyond 660mm with 20" wheels, 648mm with 19" wheels,635mm with 18" wheels. $0.02.
Correct, now with our bushing s you can lower the car and avoid those problems
Old 04-06-2015, 04:25 PM   #14
Caswell239

660 mm wherr is that measured from? That's 25"s