Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 11-08-2018, 11:05 AM   #1
richard200593

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary RS
Driving lights have a mind of their own...

I have a 2012 lt/rs. When my vehicle is in motion with automatic light control my right fog light and halo do not work but both on the left do. But if I stop the car put it in park they both come on, or if I manually turn the lights on instead of using automatic... any ideas? Fog lights are aac halos are stock,
Zl1 factory Reproduction wheels
Bmr 1.2/1.4 springs/Oracle plasma drl lights, footwell ambient lighting, 45th Gobo lights
*Audio:
Memphis pr600 amp/Fosgate 12" t0 sub/******** stealth box
richard200593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:08 PM   #2
fhrex

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS
Ok, first question: are they fog lamps, not daytime running lamps? Second: only the halo is out, but the HID is burning?
Old 11-08-2018, 12:10 PM   #3
richard200593

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhrex View Post
Ok, first question: are they fog lamps, not daytime running lamps? Second: only the halo is out, but the HID is burning?
Correct fog lamps and only halo. Headlight is fine
Bmr 1.2/1.4 springs/Oracle plasma drl lights, footwell ambient lighting, 45th Gobo lights
*Audio:
Old 11-10-2018, 05:50 AM   #4
fhrex

I would think there would be DTCs set in the body control module. You should verify this with a diagnostic tool. It's possible that this issue could be solved by a reprogram.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:40 AM   #5
richard200593

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhrex View Post
I would think there would be DTCs set in the body control module. You should verify this with a diagnostic tool. It's possible that this issue could be solved by a reprogram.

So I’m starting to think it’s a short in the wire somewhere, I literally pulled up behind a car and saw the reflection of my lights, fog light was off but all other driving lights were on, than a few seconds later without touching any buttons the fog turned on but halo turned off. Than came home and had my wife look at it and all lights were working.
Attached Images

*Audio:
Old 11-10-2018, 10:13 AM   #6
fhrex

I see. The pics show exactly what you described. I'll do some research. Your 45th Anniversary must have a different lighting setup than other 2012s that I'm familiar with. But a short/bad connection could indeed cause something like that
Old 11-10-2018, 10:17 AM   #7
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
You have an RS so fogs are actually DRLs, Halos are parking lights. Seems like a grouning short somewhere. How long have you had the AAC DRLs ?
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 05:39 PM   #8
fhrex

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
You have an RS so fogs are actually DRLs, Halos are parking lights. Seems like a grouning short somewhere. How long have you had the AAC DRLs ?
Correct. For vehicles with High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps, the Daytime Running Lamps (DRL) replace the fog lamps. What mods do you have to your lighting system? Are you running with your headlamp switch in the park light position, or are the park lights coming on by themselves? Each DRL has a separate relay control circuit and the DRLs aren't supposed to come on with the headlamps or park lights on. I noticed from the pics that the RF marker lamp goes out with the halo as well. When the RT DRL comes on, it looks dimmer than the left. You really need to have a diagnostic run for any codes in the BCM.

Last edited by fhrex; 11-10-2018 at 05:56 PM.
fhrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:51 PM   #9
richard200593

It’s been so long I completely forgot and now I feel like an idiot, the drls have the driving light harness connecting to (I’m pretty sure) the sidemarkers. The diagnostic tool mentioned that’s different than an obd reader correct? I have a cheap one I use for check engine lights but I’m pretty sure that won’t come up with any codes. I have had to avoid being outside due to smoke from wildfires but I’m really hoping to get a chance to check out the wiring soon and see if it’s just a short in that jumper or something, If not I’ll drfintely have to get the diagnostic, thanks for the help so far and I’ll keep updating
*Audio:
Old 11-24-2018, 09:40 AM   #10
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard200593 View Post
It’s been so long I completely forgot and now I feel like an idiot, the drls have the driving light harness connecting to (I’m pretty sure) the sidemarkers. The diagnostic tool mentioned that’s different than an obd reader correct? I have a cheap one I use for check engine lights but I’m pretty sure that won’t come up with any codes. I have had to avoid being outside due to smoke from wildfires but I’m really hoping to get a chance to check out the wiring soon and see if it’s just a short in that jumper or something, If not I’ll drfintely have to get the diagnostic, thanks for the help so far and I’ll keep updating
Hi, your cheap harness is built with only 6 of the 8 cavity filled, that lives 2 open to the elimimints per side, and if you got the ones sold on amazon that are made in that far away land there are no water tight sealed on the rest of the wires, so more then likely the wires and connectors are bad, if you need help, send a pm.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote