Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 06-14-2012, 03:34 PM   #295
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Part numbers have may have changed... I have had a new top on order but there has been a delay because of GM engineering changes. The notice my service department has is that there is no eta on this "new" top and that my order is on hold. Not sure what this means, but maybe GM is tired of replacing just the tops over and over again and is going to try something different. I'm in the pipe so I guess I will be patient.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:42 PM   #296
bulllett

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnyklr View Post
Does that warranty specifically INCLUDE the top and top mech?

-Funk
Yes, specifically included.
bulllett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:43 PM   #297
SSTOKED

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
Part numbers have may have changed... I have had a new top on order but there has been a delay because of GM engineering changes. The notice my service department has is that there is no eta on this "new" top and that my order is on hold. Not sure what this means, but maybe GM is tired of replacing just the tops over and over again and is going to try something different. I'm in the pipe so I guess I will be patient.
Thanks for the tip!
SSTOKED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #298
bulllett

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTOKED View Post
Update on mine...

Dealer is contacting district manager and requesting permission for a new top. They can't get it to stop leaking. I've also called Chevrolet Customer service and added a request for new top, new carpet and new seat belt support bar (under back seat) to my case number. The bar was quite rusty for a 925 mile old car. Trapped moisture does wonders on untreated metal.

The dealer is resisting the new carpet but I'm not backing down. I'm just claiming mold, bacteria, etc.

I also specifically told my service rep to tell GM service parts organization to only send me the latest revision top.

We'll see how it goes.
Be sure that they understand your request is an expectation of what they must do. Its not just a request, its what is expected to make it right. One might even call it a demand. But you're not expecting anything other than what is the right thing to do.

Good luck and stand strong
Old 06-14-2012, 05:24 PM   #299
whidobie

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible 2SS RS
What do I win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rophone View Post
My Camaro Lottery Vin Number is 9148561. What do I win?
Another trip back to your dealer. It's second home!
whidobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:02 AM   #300
Michael Rophone

Drives: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by whidobie View Post
Another trip back to your dealer. It's second home!
Every time I drive the car, I feel like I'm borrowing it from the Service Department and will have to return it soon.
Michael Rophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:20 AM   #301
11BEE
11 BEE

Drives: 2011 LS2 RS & 2012 2SS RS 45th Vert
All I am going to say is I have two Camaro's and I love them. Yes I had to have a top replaced, but I worked with the Service Manager and told him my concerns. They fixed it in two days while renting me a car. I cannot complain at all. Maybe I am a lucky one, but I cannot see why everyone has to complain so loudly.

11Bee and I♥My45th
11BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:22 AM   #302
angrykiller1

Drives: 2011 2ss inferno orange convertible
difficulty understanding

you are one of the lucky ones. if your car stank from water in the back seat until you were ashamed to take anyone for a ride, believe me, you would find in your heart some understanding for those of us who want to be heard.
angrykiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #303
SSTOKED

Update on mine...(not complaining, just informing others).

I started my whole leak repair process by informing everybody and their brother about it within GM. I emailed Jack Pantaleo's boss (since Jack is out), created a case number through Chevrolet Customer service and dropped my car off at the dealer all on the same day. Basically, everything but the BBB just to give my dealer a chance. My dealer is completely new to these top issues, so I wanted to minimize my return trips to the dealer.

They performed all service bulletins that they knew of and it still leaked. At that point I requested a new top based on the February 2012 build change (top revision change). I requested that through my service rep and Chevrolet Customer service.

My service rep just informed me that the GM district manager was at my dealer today and gave the service shop something like 21 more things to check on the top and water management system. He is resisting the top replacement request. My service rep also told me the district manager is lining up a GM Engineer to visit my dealer to assist with my car. Not sure what's going on here because all this attention has got to be way more expensive then just replacing the top. Either way, it proves to me that the old saying "the squeaky wheel get the grease" is true.

The good thing, I am saving them a loaner because my garage floor is being urethane coated and I need a place to store the car for a few more days. At the rate they are "repairing" my car, I estimate losing three weeks of Upstate NY summer weather use of my car. That is going to add up to something financially. I'm thinking stripes, performance features or something.

I'm really looking forward to getting my vert back. Absence makes the heart grow fonder!

Last edited by SSTOKED; 06-15-2012 at 11:46 AM. Reason: forgot a word.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:09 PM   #304
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
Stoked that is great a field engineer is coming out. If they would of done that with my first car I would still have it. I saw what they did to the top on my old car. WOW is all I can say
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:22 PM   #305
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95birdible View Post
Stoked that is great a field engineer is coming out. If they would of done that with my first car I would still have it. I saw what they did to the top on my old car. WOW is all I can say
Becky just called me and told me they had their Tech (who was trained by the GM Engineer over top design) has gone over the car I am picking up monday and made a few adjustments that didn't look right to him and put his seal of approval on it.
Here is a couple pictures she sent me.
Attached Images

Old 06-15-2012, 10:04 PM   #306
Fnfalguy
Supreme Advisor

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
My convertible top is still on back-order after more than a month now!
Fnfalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:15 AM   #307
bulllett

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTOKED View Post
My service rep also told me the district manager is lining up a GM Engineer to visit my dealer to assist with my car. Not sure what's going on here because all this attention has got to be way more expensive then just replacing the top. Either way, it proves to me that the old saying "the squeaky wheel get the grease" is true.
One of the steps of the process. I just went through this part (with a "we'll get back to you" at the end of the meeting).

If they want to have a meeting with you (and I would suggest that you try to have that happen if you can. Otherwise their meeting is about how they are going to get out of this. You have nobody there for your defense), best thing you can do is be prepared. Have support for your positions (I took a lot of info off here and our FB page) and be straightforward but insistent in what you EXPECT GM to do to solve the problem. Have some links ready on a piece of paper to give to them, use the Josh Holder vid if necessary, use the Al O quote if needed, use simple but straight forward rational thought (you do not "fix" a design with tape. You temporarilly overcome a symptom. If these marks are normal, then why do some cars not have them? Use all the examples of multiple top replacements without changing the mechanisms. Why a TSB? etc.). I liken this to taking a test. Be prepared for what will come and it becomes easier to come up with the answers.

Make no mistake, this will be a three on one. They will appear to want to be buddy buddy, but you and I both know (because of the effort and "squeaky wheel" that you took just to get to this point) the end run for them is to get out of this situation the cheapest and easiest. Not what's best for you.

I know, maybe I'm telling you something you already know, but I just want people to be prepared and know what's going to happen, as they go through this process.

Good luck.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:55 AM   #308
SSTOKED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulllett View Post
One of the steps of the process. I just went through this part (with a "we'll get back to you" at the end of the meeting).

If they want to have a meeting with you (and I would suggest that you try to have that happen if you can. Otherwise their meeting is about how they are going to get out of this. You have nobody there for your defense), best thing you can do is be prepared. Have support for your positions (I took a lot of info off here and our FB page) and be straightforward but insistent in what you EXPECT GM to do to solve the problem. Have some links ready on a piece of paper to give to them, use the Josh Holder vid if necessary, use the Al O quote if needed, use simple but straight forward rational thought (you do not "fix" a design with tape. You temporarilly overcome a symptom. If these marks are normal, then why do some cars not have them? Use all the examples of multiple top replacements without changing the mechanisms. Why a TSB? etc.). I liken this to taking a test. Be prepared for what will come and it becomes easier to come up with the answers.

Make no mistake, this will be a three on one. They will appear to want to be buddy buddy, but you and I both know (because of the effort and "squeaky wheel" that you took just to get to this point) the end run for them is to get out of this situation the cheapest and easiest. Not what's best for you.

I know, maybe I'm telling you something you already know, but I just want people to be prepared and know what's going to happen, as they go through this process.

Good luck.
Excellent points and I will start printing out the material.

I'm also going to hit them with the fact that I'm a manufacturing engineer at GM (Rochester, NY) and I know about design revisions and how important it is to contain suspect product from getting out to the customer when there are known manufacturing/design problems. We work very hard in our plant to control quality and it is very apparent to me they missed the boat on this one. I also happen to know somebody at the Camaro plant so they can't fool me (I wished I called him before I purchased). I'm going to voice my opinion to them for all of you and how disappointed I am on how this problem is being handled. It hurts my paycheck when they lose future customers over problems like these. Employees are just regular customers so even I get screwed on stuff like this! Keeps us real and makes me focus on making the best product we can in our plant