Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-12-2013, 04:01 AM   #1
cslee0811

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
X-pipe VS. Mid Pipe

This question might be stupid but here it goes...

I have a Magnaflow x-pipe already installed. A friend of mine is telling me to straight pipe my car for a more aggressive sound. He mentioned getting the JBA mid pipe. Does that mean the JBA mid pipes would replace the x-pipe that I already have? or would I be replacing the factory cats with the mid pipes and keeping my x-pipe?
cslee0811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:37 AM   #2
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Many people use the names interchangeably so it depends on if he is actually talking about a mid section or off road pipes/cat delete. When JBA says "mid pipes" they ar referring to cat deletes. It also can depend on what other exhaust mods you have and if your car is a manual or auto.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:57 PM   #3
cslee0811

i see i see...

Very interesting... I have an LS3 and the mid pipes he was mentioning was the off road type. Thanks for your help!!!
cslee0811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:14 PM   #4
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
If you remove your x-pipe or h-pipe on stock LS3 your car will get louder but you will lose the cylinder scavenging you get from the H or X-pipe. This means less TRQ and less HP. I would not go straight pipe. I know since I tried it on my 2010, it sounded bad ass but really took away some low end power.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:43 PM   #5
craig0214

Drives: 2011 camaro ss
This seems like the same ole conversation. Do you or don't you go straight pipe? Does it cause power loss ? I'm in the same pickle.. Straight pipes or cat back exhaust ?
craig0214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:56 AM   #6
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig0214 View Post
This seems like the same ole conversation. Do you or don't you go straight pipe? Does it cause power loss ? I'm in the same pickle.. Straight pipes or cat back exhaust ?
Since it's the same ole conversation, what did the others conclude?
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:24 PM   #7
jlrtexas

I went with x pipe and no mufflers. Kept the stock resonators since they are small and would keep my car street legal. Car sounds bad ass especially when down shifting. I've tried straight pipes before and lost low end torque, never do that again on any future cars.
jlrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:42 PM   #8
craig0214

Drives: 2011 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrtexas View Post
I went with x pipe and no mufflers. Kept the stock resonators since they are small and would keep my car street legal. Car sounds bad ass especially when down shifting. I've tried straight pipes before and lost low end torque, never do that again on any future cars.

Thanks, I was thinking straight pipe. But I have heard the same thing over and over .
craig0214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:36 PM   #9
Kiowa88
Out Front!

Drives: OH-58D (R)
From someone thats had a full catback system to having the exhaust dump right after the headers. Even though you'll hear from 9/10 people that you gain/lose nothing by going straight pipes, its my personal opinion that with straight pipes you move the power band up higher giving you more top end while sacrificing power on the bottom end.

I'm currently running 1 7/8 LTs to catless mids to the L99 resonator without mufflers. Perfect set-up in my opinion. Still loud and mean without any drone on the highway and keeps just enough scavenging to keep that kick in your rear feeling on the bottom end.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:15 PM   #10
POS Dakota

Drives: GMs and Chryslers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiowa88 View Post
From someone thats had a full catback system to having the exhaust dump right after the headers. Even though you'll hear from 9/10 people that you gain/lose nothing by going straight pipes, its my personal opinion that with straight pipes you move the power band up higher giving you more top end while sacrificing power on the bottom end.

I'm currently running 1 7/8 LTs to catless mids to the L99 resonator without mufflers. Perfect set-up in my opinion. Still loud and mean without any drone on the highway and keeps just enough scavenging to keep that kick in your rear feeling on the bottom end.
100 percent true. And killing power on the low end SUCKS on a street driven car.
POS Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote