Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

View Poll Results: Best Battery Tender
Deltran 12 37.50%
Yausa 0 0%
CTEK 14 43.75%
Schumacher 5 15.63%
Other - post below 1 3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-02-2014, 10:42 PM   #1
Mark T
American Gold Whisperer

Drives: 2014 White 1LE 2SS/RS/NPP/Rec/Nav
Best Battery Tender Available For Long Term Storage - Poll

I need a battery tender. Storage time estimate: 5 months.

I want to know the best there is.
Best for the battery and best for the car.

Vote in the poll above on brand, and post your favorite model numbers below if you will.

Thank you.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:46 AM   #2
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
If the battery is in good condition when stored, I've had nothing but good luck with all 5 of my Deltran Battery Tender JR's. Make sure to get the Junior model. Takes up no room and hooks right up under the hood. Plug it in and forget it.

I cannot recommend the POS full sized Deltran battery tender. I've had 3 of those and they all broke after some time. There may be great chargers out there with all sorts of gizmos, but they usually cost plenty. For the money, you can't beat the BT JR. Works with AGM batteries too.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 04:35 AM   #3
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
I think I have this same model as el ess A. I know they make a tiny one where the unit is act sulu on the wiring as apposed to the smaller one that you put on a shelf. I have the small shelf one also look into getting the extension cable I think it's like 20-25'.
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:11 PM   #4
Mark T
American Gold Whisperer

Thanks for the info.

I know it is early in the winter planning, and many of you of course live where this isnt a problem, but I live where winter comes hard and fast. My car is already mothballed and I know I will be needing a tender soon enough.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:37 PM   #5
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T View Post
Thanks for the info.

I know it is early in the winter planning, and many of you of course live where this isnt a problem, but I live where winter comes hard and fast. My car is already mothballed and I know I will be needing a tender soon enough.

I'm in queens. My car is already put away. What are you doing with the mothballs? Interior? I've read about coving your exhaust to keep bugs from crawling in there.
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:19 PM   #6
Mark T
American Gold Whisperer

I hope you know that was a figure of speech. Otherwise my 1LE would sure stink by spring lol.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:52 PM   #7
Mark T
American Gold Whisperer

Need more feedback.

I will need to get one this month.

Your opinions greatly appreciated.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:51 AM   #8
Smirnoff

Drives: Camaro SS
Deltran - had 1 go south....quickly replaced for free w/o questions.

Smirnoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:54 AM   #9
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
My whole family runs Schumacher.

Never an issue here, even with 8+ year old units.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 01:20 AM   #10
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
5mo isnt long term. Probably wouldnt even need a tender if disconnected. I just bought 2 Deltran Jrs. one for car one for bike.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 03:04 AM   #11
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Also researching this now. Based on what I've seen, I like CTEK the best. Will probably go with the MUS 4.3. All the features you'd want (Desulf, recond) set it and forget it, 5 yr warranty. More expensive than battery tenders but I want to buy once and the OP said he wants the best. This looks like the one.

http://smartercharger.com/battery-ch...lti%20US%204.3

Nice hair Jay!

Last edited by Indydriver; 11-18-2014 at 03:32 AM.
Indydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:43 AM   #12
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydriver View Post
Also researching this now. Based on what I've seen, I like CTEK the best. Will probably go with the MUS 4.3. All the features you'd want (Desulf, recond) set it and forget it, 5 yr warranty. More expensive than battery tenders but I want to buy once and the OP said he wants the best. This looks like the one.

http://smartercharger.com/battery-ch...lti%20US%204.3

Nice hair Jay!
What he said ^^^ Deltrans are made for MOTORCYCLE batteries and small car batteries (not for the size of the one in our cars). Do your homework and compare Deltran to CTEK ...no comparison! If you're gonna go with a Deltran and trust your large 720CCA battery to a rinky dink flashing light that leaves you guessing on what's going on then just like Clint Eastwood says " you have to ask yourself ... am I feeling lucking today?"

I had both. Started with a Deltran Jr (.75amps) and then got the biggest Deltran ( only 1.5 amps) and both couldn't get my 2 yr old battery to float mode, both would shut off after 8hrs (read the fine print). That's when I got a CTEK MUS 4.3amp I set it in Cold mode (it first showed I had some Desulfation from what those Fnnn Deltran chargers did to my battery, then it went thru all its stages until getting to float mode.

ps- my car is kept covered outside. Ctek has Cold mode charging for when temp is 40 or lower ( which I think you're gonna need in northern Utah), Deltran doesn't which makes me think Deltrans are more suited for inside use. In addition Ctek has a Pulse mode that kicks in after the battery has been in Float mode for more than 10 days, Deltran doesn't.

Last edited by camguynj; 11-18-2014 at 12:02 PM. Reason: added ps
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:56 AM   #13
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
What he said ^^^ Deltrans are made for MOTORCYCLE batteries and small car batteries (not for the size of the one in our cars). Do your homework and compare Deltran to CTEK ...no comparison! If you're gonna go with a Deltran and trust your large 720CCA battery to a rinky dink flashing light that leaves you guessing on what's going on then just like Clint Eastwood says " you have to ask yourself ... am I feeling lucking today?"

I had both. Started with a Deltran Jr (.75amps) and then got the biggest Deltran ( only 1.5 amps) and both couldn't get my 2 yr old battery to float mode, both would shut off after 8rs (read the fine print). That's when I got a CTEK MUS 4.3amp I set it in Cold mode (it first showed I had some Desulfation from what those Fnnn Deltran chargers did to my battery, then it went thru all its stages until getting to float mode.
That's 1 opinion. I've used the jrs. extensively with no issues. Now, all my batteries are in good shape to begin with, so no issues by maintaining them. Can't say how it would act if your battery isn't up to snuff to begin with. If you need a charger, then buy a charger.

I bought the jrs. for battery maintenance. For the price, you cannot beat the bang for the buck. Been charging the 2010 factory battery on the jr. for 5 years no problems and the ZL1 for over 1 year running, again, no issues. The 6 year old battery in my 87 442 still cranks the car right up after coming out of storage as does the 4 year old battery in my rider mower. So I call your claim about the jrs. only for small batteries a big stew of BS.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:11 AM   #14
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
Always go smart charger what ever brand you chose and also can always add one these (see link below) if you want to try save few bucks no need to leave it on all day. Like most stuff in our house just wasting power being on all the time.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...f_rd_i=desktop
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote