Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 02-04-2020, 03:39 PM   #1
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Can I add an aftermarket amp to the non BA factory radio?

Kicker makes an amp for GM that's plug and play for non BA factory radio. It seems to be a popular upgrade for the Z28 guys. However, at close to $300, it's a little too expensive for my budget right now.

Is it possible to just get a cheaper non-specific aftermarket amp and wire that up instead?
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 05:19 PM   #2
Leo72793

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman View Post
Kicker makes an amp for GM that's plug and play for non BA factory radio. It seems to be a popular upgrade for the Z28 guys. However, at close to $300, it's a little too expensive for my budget right now.

Is it possible to just get a cheaper non-specific aftermarket amp and wire that up instead?
Cost of an amp, harnesses, wiring etc will cost MORE. Average amp is $149 for a 4ch thats not bad. $60+ for a quality wiring kit, and possibly $100+ for harnesses to adapt.
•Speed Engineering Longtube Headers w/ Magnaflow HF Cats
•Bo White PnP Stage 2 TB
•GPI SS2 VVT Cam w Cometic thin gaskets 10.69 compression
•Xpipe w/ Res Delete and NPP Exhaust
•Tuned By Anonymous Calibrations
•Gen5DIY Mylink Conversion W/ Backup Cam
•Morel 3 way custom speakers, Infinity 860w Subwoofers in trunk baffle
•Helix P6 6ch amp w/ 8ch DSP and P1 Sub amp
Leo72793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 07:34 PM   #3
lemontwist

Drives: 12 2SS/RS L99,11 2SS/RS LS3totaled
if you do your own labor it could be done for under 200 bucks if that's not your thing then Leo72793 is correct.you can get a decent 4 channel for 75-150 bucks a wire kit for a small amp 20-25.actually from there i don't know what's involved with the non ba system. alot of amps have high level inputs now.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kenwood-eXc...Condition=1000
i know this is crazy but check this video out
lemontwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 12:51 PM   #4
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Auto
For the signal feed, get 2 Scoscshe plugs for the back of the HU and the wiring harness ($30 for both). What I did is plug both into each other, and then test each wire to make sure that I had the correct signal on each one. Twisted each pair together, then soldered each pair to make a new harness. After that, unplug the Scoscshe from each other and put one in the back of the HU and the other into the factory harness. I have the speaker leads going out from the HU to extended wires that I ran to 2 amps in the trunk (front and sub on high inputs), and then the speaker wires from the front amp run back into the new harness and then continue on to the front speakers. The sub amp is wired directly to a subwoofer in the trunk. The stock speaker wiring is good for about 150 watts. This way you don't have to cut into the factory harness and possibly mess something up; and you can solder it up outside of the car. It has worked great for over 5 years now.

Last edited by yzark99; 03-19-2020 at 03:51 PM. Reason: speelinz
yzark99 is offline   Reply With Quote