Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-05-2018, 11:16 PM   #43
1Willy1

Drives: corvette z06
why does the ZL1 get such bad MPG when a supercharged SS can get 25+ on the highway ?

my magnacharged z06 got nearly 30 mpgs on the highway

I can understand the zl1 being heavier getting maybe 22-23 on the highway but why only 18-19 its ridiculous, something isn't right

Does swapping in higher gears like 391 or 411 help with mpg or make it even worse?
1Willy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:43 PM   #44
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Willy1 View Post
why does the ZL1 get such bad MPG when a supercharged SS can get 25+ on the highway ?

my magnacharged z06 got nearly 30 mpgs on the highway

I can understand the zl1 being heavier getting maybe 22-23 on the highway but why only 18-19 its ridiculous, something isn't right

Does swapping in higher gears like 391 or 411 help with mpg or make it even worse?

As I said 7 and a half years ago ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
It can help ... but not always. Its a bit much to get into right now, but basically you're a lot more likely to find improved fuel economy with aftermarket kits than with OEM blown engines. I'm not positive but I think that whether the or not an engine will see a gain with supercharging is based largely on the compression ratio.
which someone added to:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post
I think that is right. Factory FI cars tend to have reduced compression ratios to keep the engines "safe." The lower compression ratio lowers thermodynamic efficiency. Aftermarket kits that just bolt keep the original NA compression ratio. Keeps the fuel economy higher, but also a higher risk of blowing it all to hell.

As to your question about gearing, generally speaking the more aggressive the gearing the worse your mileage will be. Higher final drive = wheels turning slower per engine revolution. Or alternatively, for a set wheel speed (say 65 mph or 105 km/h) the engine will have to spin faster. And when an engine spins faster, its probably going to be less efficient. There are exceptions, but as a rule of thumb it's pretty solid. If you can cruise around just off idle, you're probably going to be as efficient as you can get.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:59 AM   #45
1Willy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
As I said 7 and a half years ago ...
which someone added to:

As to your question about gearing, generally speaking the more aggressive the gearing the worse your mileage will be. Higher final drive = wheels turning slower per engine revolution. Or alternatively, for a set wheel speed (say 65 mph or 105 km/h) the engine will have to spin faster. And when an engine spins faster, its probably going to be less efficient. There are exceptions, but as a rule of thumb it's pretty solid. If you can cruise around just off idle, you're probably going to be as efficient as you can get.
Thanks for that reply

I know gas mileage seems like a trivial thing to some people but it matters to me

I drive a lot and daily drive any car I have so the gas will start to bother me after a while

and that makes sense about the compression, something is off that's forsure

I passed up on a few sweet supercharged SS's because I wanted a ZL1 , but this is the only thing that bothers me
Old 11-06-2018, 06:00 AM   #46
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
I think Oppenheiser said it best when he talked about ZL1 gas mileage. Something like it was #40 on the top 10 list of reasons why people buy a ZL1. I've never measured mine, and I don't care. What I save in car payments, I'll put in the tank.

ZL1 Gas Mileage Ratings-

City: 14
Hwy: 19
Pedal to the metal: Whoo hoo! Who Cares!?!?!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:58 AM   #47
GONMAD510

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
I have never once cared about the MPG I get. Barely get double digits and I am loving it.
Fast 850cc Injectors, ATI Balancer, 8.66 Lower Pulley, 2.55 Upper Pulley, Lingenfelter CAI, Kooks LT with cat delete pipes, Noweeds Exhaust Cutouts (extremely loud under full throttle), BTR Stage 3 Cam, BTR Platinum 660 Valve Spring Kit, TR7ix Iridium Spark Plugs, Lingenfelter Solid Isolator, 160 Degree Thermostat, Larger SC Coolant Reservoir with Hose Relocation Kit, BMR 1.25" Lowering Springs, MGW Short Throw Shifter, Racing Brake 2 piece rotors front and rear, Starkweather Performance Custom Dyno Tune on 91 Octane.

691.38 RWHP
630.35 RWTQ
GONMAD510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:14 AM   #48
z28lt1

Drives: 2014 ZL1
The only time I give any thought about the gas mileage is if I get any sessions at VIR with minimal traffic, and I realize I then have to fill up between every session.

Then I wish it was good enough to at least get through 2 sessions....
z28lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:32 AM   #49
VRZL113

Drives: 2013 VR ZL1, M6
Like others in here....

I didn't buy my ZL1 for gas mileage, but mine has hit 23-25 mpgs on the highway during longer trips. Around town I'm constantly at 14-14.5 mpgs no more no less.

I'm more than satisfied with that, because the fun factor out weighs the gas mileage.
#3257 | 485whp 526wtq | K&N 63-3079 | Gates K080660HD (Green Belt) | ACDelco UPF48R | ZL1 Addons Wicker Bill | Mild2Wild
VRZL113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:50 AM   #50
1Willy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRZL113 View Post
Like others in here....

I didn't buy my ZL1 for gas mileage, but mine has hit 23-25 mpgs on the highway during longer trips. Around town I'm constantly at 14-14.5 mpgs no more no less.

I'm more than satisfied with that, because the fun factor out weighs the gas mileage.
23-25 on the highway is great , if I could et close to that at cruising speeds id be happy.

I only drive V8's, been that way for 10-11 years so im used to them, but even my 4500 pound LS460L gets 26-27 mpg's on the highway, so im hoping the zl1 is not as bad as it looks on paper.

Thanks guys
Old 11-09-2018, 10:18 AM   #51
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
23-25 on the highway is great , if I could et close to that at cruising speeds id be happy.

I only drive V8's, been that way for 10-11 years so im used to them, but even my 4500 pound LS460L gets 26-27 mpg's on the highway, so im hoping the zl1 is not as bad as it looks on paper.

Thanks guys
People have told you over and over the mpg is bad. I suggest you do not get the 2012 ZL1 you propose buying in the other thread.
I am no different than everyone else. I see my avg mpg reading saying 16mpg mixed driving. With e85 its more like 13mpg.
I am not saying an ideal 23mpg can't be achieved on a flat stretch of highway at say 65mph without ac. Do not think you'll be anywhere close to that with your "lots of daily driving" requirement. I don't think a ZL1 is the best primary daily driver car for you.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:05 PM   #52
1Willy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
People have told you over and over the mpg is bad. I suggest you do not get the 2012 ZL1 you propose buying in the other thread.
I am no different than everyone else. I see my avg mpg reading saying 16mpg mixed driving. With e85 its more like 13mpg.
I am not saying an ideal 23mpg can't be achieved on a flat stretch of highway at say 65mph without ac. Do not think you'll be anywhere close to that with your "lots of daily driving" requirement. I don't think a ZL1 is the best primary daily driver car for you.
Im not looking for advice on whether or not I should buy one, im here discussing the mpg's on an already existing mpg thread.

16mpg in a mix city and highway also isn't THAT bad , its similar to what I get in my 460L , and if I can squeak out 20+ on the highway then really it should be tolerable.

My car does extremely well on highway driving but falls flat in city , so my average is not much better then what your getting.

Here in Canada we pay almost double what you guys pay for gas , about $1.30 per litre, or $5.20 a gallon.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:39 PM   #53
silversleeper
Big Crow

True, you didn't ask for my advice. You're just a few months short of a year debating buying a camaro vs hellcat or supercharged z06 or aftermarket supercharged camaro's or callaway's etc.
In this thread alone you've said "I know gas mileage seems like a trivial thing to some people but it matters to me I drive a lot and daily drive any car I have so the gas will start to bother me after a while. in Canada we pay almost double what you guys pay for gas , about $1.30 per litre, or $5.20 a gallon" Along with warranty concerns.
There a prudent amount of thought in making a decision. Ideally it is neither impulse buying e.g. not even considering a Camaro and knowing nothing about it then driving it home after a trip to the dealer or taking a year to try to convince yourself to get something.

I predict buyers remorse.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:53 PM   #54
1Willy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
True, you didn't ask for my advice. You're just a few months short of a year debating buying a camaro vs hellcat or supercharged z06 or aftermarket supercharged camaro's or callaway's etc.
In this thread alone you've said "I know gas mileage seems like a trivial thing to some people but it matters to me I drive a lot and daily drive any car I have so the gas will start to bother me after a while. in Canada we pay almost double what you guys pay for gas , about $1.30 per litre, or $5.20 a gallon" Along with warranty concerns.
There a prudent amount of thought in making a decision. Ideally it is neither impulse buying e.g. not even considering a Camaro and knowing nothing about it then driving it home after a trip to the dealer or taking a year to try to convince yourself to get something.

I predict buyers remorse.
man your an idiot , do you feel like a BIG MAN because im concerned over mpg's and you aren't? Is that how pathetic you are ?

Let me make it clear to you, you are NOT a big shot, and you are not an authority here or anywhere else.

This is a car forum, where people discuss cars , specifically the 5th gen camaro platform. If you got a problem with any of my posts or threads then go cry about it somewhere else.

This site is pretty much dead anyways, given the amount of camaros on the road I don't know where all the owners are going but it surely isn't here, sometimes its easy to see why.

With that aside ive just put down my deposit on the 2012 zl1, I will be flying out and driving it back (16 hour drive) , so ill find out real quick how good or bad the mileage is.

Last edited by 1Willy1; 11-09-2018 at 08:11 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:01 PM   #55
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
I get 9.3 for the last 3 years.. Love it..
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:12 PM   #56
silversleeper
Big Crow

Quote:
man your an idiot , do you feel like a BIG MAN because im concerned over mpg's and you aren't? Is that how pathetic you are ?

Let me make it clear to you, you are NOT a big shot, and you are not an authority here or anywhere else.

This is a car forum, where people discuss cars , specifically the 5th gen camaro platform. If you got a problem with any of my posts or threads then go cry about it somewhere else.

This site is pretty much dead anyways, given the amount of camaros on the road I don't know where all the owners are going but it surely isn't here, sometimes its easy to see why.

With that aside ive just put down my deposit on the 2012 zl1, I will be flying out and driving it back (16 hour drive) , so ill find out real quick how good or bad the mileage is.
Quote:
how does the suede inserts age compared to leather?

Are they holding up well so far in most peoples case ?
There you go whining again about a car you don't own. This isn't the first time you came unglued from people trying to help you.