Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-08-2016, 11:26 AM   #29
samman11

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurshot View Post
A car that's clean, shiney, dent free, and well maintained, always looks good. A stock looking car comes across better, to me, over the long haul. Mods generally have a dated look after a while.
I could not have said it better myself. My feelings EXACTLY! Mods come and go based on the owner's current desire. Original stock (outside of, say, a nice CAI unit) is more desirable over time.
samman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:35 AM   #30
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
To me, the 5th gen is a weird car in the sense that it's technically a concept car that went into production. It's a dated vision of the future, which makes it both old and new at the same time, if that makes sense. Look at any concept car from the past (eg: the Dodge Charger concept that never came to be), and you will see what I mean. It creates conflicting emotions of past and future, something that feels like it doesn't belong in any era.

I think a bone stock entry trim 2010 Camaro looks way more dated and crappier than an entry trim 2016 Camaro. A lot of the 5th gen's body lines are very chunky, partially due to its retro inspiration and partially due to the fact that it didn't get the benefits of the more advanced automotive manufacturing processes that let the 6th gen Camaro and other new cars have much more detail. Details that used to be reserved for only the most high-end performance cars. Today, even an economy hatchback has sporty, aggresive elements once reserved for Lamborghinis 10 years ago.

I think this has its benefits. The 6th gen Camaro seems so far to have less of an aftermarket culture to it, the market is very slow, and it's already hyper-aggresive to begin with making any additional mods make it seem totally over-the-top. For the 5th gen, with the right tasteful mods, it can end up being a very timeless car. Kind of like when you see a resto-mod done correctly and it looks nearly like a modern car built today. You just need some design elements to break up the chunkiness from those old manufacturing processes, maybe slap on a new grill, some LED accent tail lamps, and LED DRLS, and presto -- more modern looking ride. :P
RenegadeXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:25 PM   #31
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurshot View Post
A car that's clean, shiney, dent free, and well maintained, always looks good. A stock looking car comes across better, to me, over the long haul. Mods generally have a dated look after a while.
I rarely am able to drive through a parking lot without at least one person saying "nice car" or giving me a thumbs-up with a big smile.

So far, no one has said, "Nice dated car!" Well.... except Walter, but he's an ass sometimes.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:38 PM   #32
drew peacock
Banned

Drives: 2012 2SS INFERNO ORANGE
gen 1 in our village..everyone always says wow look at that car..
some cars will never look dated...all corvettes look fantastic imho except the c7 lol. i just do not like it..to buzy..
any car will look good with nice wheels..
drew peacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:46 PM   #33
PFalcon

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LT Convertible
Since the '69 Camaro was clearly the "inspiration" behind the design of the 5th gens, I will kind of take it as a compliment if my 2012 is considered a bit "dated".

To me the 6th gen looks too much like it wants to be a Mustang...
PFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:50 PM   #34
drew peacock
Banned

Drives: 2012 2SS INFERNO ORANGE
i love the new mustang..i hated it at first...now i think it looks awesome
drew peacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:59 PM   #35
PFalcon

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LT Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew peacock View Post
i love the new mustang..i hated it at first...now i think it looks awesome
I agree, I like the looks of the new Mustang as well. I just feel the gen 6 Camaros are a bit of a Mustang-wannabe.
PFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 01:10 PM   #36
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
I'm seeing more and more of the 6th Gens on the road around here. I like them. I don't know where you guys are getting this "it looks like every other car" thing, I think the design is very distinguishable and I think it looks even more aggressive than the 5th Gen. Doesn't mean I like my car any less, I just think they did a good job with the 6th Gen.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 01:27 PM   #37
Stroke9

Drives: 2015 AGM 1SS
The problem is look at past Gen Camaros compared to the Gen after it.
All Gens went through dramatic styling changes compared tho the Gen before it.
Gen1 to Gen2, Gen2 to Gen3 etc.
Gen4 to Gen5 IMO being the most dramatic.

To the every day person they really are very similar, too similar actually.

Unless you OWN a Camaro or are an avid Camaro enthusiast... Most don't even realize there is a Gen6.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:31 PM   #38
DOC52
THE U

Drives: Camaro 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroke9 View Post
The problem is look at past Gen Camaros compared to the Gen after it.
All Gens went through dramatic styling changes compared tho the Gen before it.
Gen1 to Gen2, Gen2 to Gen3 etc.
Gen4 to Gen5 IMO being the most dramatic.

To the every day person they really are very similar, too similar actually.

Unless you OWN a Camaro or are an avid Camaro enthusiast... Most don't even realize there is a Gen6.
I agree, always get asked if mine is a 2016, even had a guy yell out "nice LT1" when I was idiling at a light once...
Old 08-08-2016, 01:33 PM   #39
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
I'm seeing more and more of the 6th Gens on the road around here. I like them. I don't know where you guys are getting this "it looks like every other car" thing, I think the design is very distinguishable and I think it looks even more aggressive than the 5th Gen. Doesn't mean I like my car any less, I just think they did a good job with the 6th Gen.
The front....the back......yep every other car designer must have the same skill because it doesn't pop. Alot of cars have that choppy front end that makes them blend together. It's a nice car.....but similar to many others.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 01:42 PM   #40
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
The front....the back......yep every other car designer must have the same skill because it doesn't pop. Alot of cars have that choppy front end that makes them blend together. It's a nice car.....but similar to many others.
All in the eye of the beholder I guess.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 01:55 PM   #41
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeXR View Post
To me, the 5th gen is a weird car in the sense that it's technically a concept car that went into production. It's a dated vision of the future, which makes it both old and new at the same time, if that makes sense. Look at any concept car from the past (eg: the Dodge Charger concept that never came to be), and you will see what I mean. It creates conflicting emotions of past and future, something that feels like it doesn't belong in any era.

I think a bone stock entry trim 2010 Camaro looks way more dated and crappier than an entry trim 2016 Camaro. A lot of the 5th gen's body lines are very chunky, partially due to its retro inspiration and partially due to the fact that it didn't get the benefits of the more advanced automotive manufacturing processes that let the 6th gen Camaro and other new cars have much more detail. Details that used to be reserved for only the most high-end performance cars. Today, even an economy hatchback has sporty, aggresive elements once reserved for Lamborghinis 10 years ago.

I think this has its benefits. The 6th gen Camaro seems so far to have less of an aftermarket culture to it, the market is very slow, and it's already hyper-aggresive to begin with making any additional mods make it seem totally over-the-top. For the 5th gen, with the right tasteful mods, it can end up being a very timeless car. Kind of like when you see a resto-mod done correctly and it looks nearly like a modern car built today. You just need some design elements to break up the chunkiness from those old manufacturing processes, maybe slap on a new grill, some LED accent tail lamps, and LED DRLS, and presto -- more modern looking ride. :P
Where exactly are you getting your info from....the 5th gen didn't benefit from what again? The only difference is R@D and technology between the 2 Camaros. If the 6th gen didn't move south it would have been built on the same line with the same processes as the 5th gen. I'm not following your story regarding the production points your trying to make.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:56 PM   #42
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
All in the eye of the beholder I guess.
It funny how many debates are really just that....your right on the money.