Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-11-2022, 06:45 PM   #1
ChrisLydia

Drives: Camaro 2LT RS
Replacing compressor kit with spare tire

My car came with a compressor kit in the trunk. I'd prefer a spare tire. Anyone out there replace their kit with a spare tire....and is the room provided work. In other words, are the kits and spare tires interchangeable?
ChrisLydia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 06:49 PM   #2
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
The 20” wheel and tire will not fit. If you’ve got 18’s they will fit.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 07:38 PM   #3
CPCNY

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, VR ext/Blk Int
I just use a stock wheel. The spare kits can only be used on the front since they are smaller diameter tires.
Attached Images

CPCNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 09:34 PM   #4
oldman14ss

Drives: 2014 1ss camaro
yeah I put a full size 20 in mine eats up the trunk space. oh well. when I bought my American racing wheels. I took one of my stock front wheels and use it as a spare. it will fit the front and back.
oldman14ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 11:48 PM   #5
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
The space will accommodate a 18" wheel and tire, but an 18" will not clear the brakes if you have the optional Brembo brake package. To clear those, requires the 20" wheels and tires , but the 20" wheels won't fit in the spare tire well. Thus instead of a 20" spare, they give you the inflator/fix-a-flat combo.

I belive some have found a source for a mini-spare that will fit, but I have no idea what it was they found. Perhaps a search might find an old thread about a mini-spare?
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 04:31 AM   #6
acutron42

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS AGM
Here is a full kit. You would also need a 2" spacer to clear the front calipers. They also offer different package options.

https://modernspare.com/product/2010...ncluding-z-28/
acutron42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 04:35 AM   #7
George-CZ

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 and 1978 STROKER 383
I bought a spare wheel from a BMW X5 and put it directly in the trunk under the carpet.

Given how many times I will or likely will not need it, so instead of a full with full wheel trunk, I will swap the front wheel behind the rear wheel and put the spare wheel on the front axle.

There is no need for spacers and it will fit through the Brembo brakes.

Name:  WP_20180324_011.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  51.7 KB

Name:  WP_20180323_006.jpg
Views: 793
Size:  99.3 KB

K&N CAI, Stainless Power longtubes, high flow cats, modified Ragazzon High Performance axle back, Soler Performance ported throttle body, Soler Performance throttle controller, RAM clutch adjuster, modified LS7 clutch kit, Tick Performance billet bearing support, Tick Performance remote bleeder, separate clutch reservoir, BMR trailing arms, BMR toe rods, Pedders Suspension cradle bushing inserts, Control Arm Bushings, Strut tower brace, oil catch can, Hurst T-handle shifter, 20mm wheel spacers, DBA brakes, QTP Cutouts, Dynosteve tune.
George-CZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 04:53 AM   #8
acutron42

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS AGM
Slick idea George!
acutron42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 05:09 AM   #9
George-CZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by acutron42 View Post
Slick idea George!
Thank you

K&N CAI, Stainless Power longtubes, high flow cats, modified Ragazzon High Performance axle back, Soler Performance ported throttle body, Soler Performance throttle controller, RAM clutch adjuster, modified LS7 clutch kit, Tick Performance billet bearing support, Tick Performance remote bleeder, separate clutch reservoir, BMR trailing arms, BMR toe rods, Pedders Suspension cradle bushing inserts, Control Arm Bushings, Strut tower brace, oil catch can, Hurst T-handle shifter, 20mm wheel spacers, DBA brakes, QTP Cutouts, Dynosteve tune.
Old 01-12-2022, 08:52 AM   #10
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by George-CZ View Post
I bought a spare wheel from a BMW X5 and put it directly in the trunk under the carpet.

Given how many times I will or likely will not need it, so instead of a full with full wheel trunk, I will swap the front wheel behind the rear wheel and put the spare wheel on the front axle.

There is no need for spacers and it will fit through the Brembo brakes.

Attachment 1089154

Attachment 1089155
Man George, you just always amaze us all the time with awesome ideas and info!! Rock on sir!!
Old 01-12-2022, 09:46 AM   #11
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPCNY View Post
I just use a stock wheel. The spare kits can only be used on the front since they are smaller diameter tires.
Nice job securing the wheel properly. An unsecured wheel can cause serious injury in a collision.

This is exactly the setup I had for a while (including shop rags) on long road trips. Frankly, I gave it up at my own peril after about 7 uneventful years.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 10:44 AM   #12
George-CZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
Man George, you just always amaze us all the time with awesome ideas and info!! Rock on sir!!
Thanks Bro

This forum has given me a lot.
The Camaro5 community accepted me, even though I from somewhere on the other side of the globe and I still don't speak English properly .

So I try not only to obtain information, but also to return it, as much as possible

Old 01-12-2022, 12:00 PM   #13
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by George-CZ View Post
Thanks Bro

This forum has given me a lot.
The Camaro5 community accepted me, even though I from somewhere on the other side of the globe and I still don't speak English properly .

So I try not only to obtain information, but also to return it, as much as possible
Lol don’t worry George, a Camaro lover is my brother no matter where they are from. Oh and don’t feel bad about English, most of us here in the states don’t speak it right either haha. I grew up in the Appalachian mountains, we make up our own English there
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 12:04 PM   #14
CPCNY

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, VR ext/Blk Int
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Nice job securing the wheel properly. An unsecured wheel can cause serious injury in a collision.

This is exactly the setup I had for a while (including shop rags) on long road trips. Frankly, I gave it up at my own peril after about 7 uneventful years.
The last thing I want is for that wheel to come crashing forward in a front end collision. The first law of motion in physics can be a killer.
CPCNY is offline   Reply With Quote