Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 01-21-2018, 07:10 PM   #1
Parts Peddler

Drives: 2014 1LT/RS
I can't get my gas tank full.

No matter how hard I try, when filling my car with gas, the pump clicks off before the tank is full. This just started happening within the last couple of months. The reason I believe it's not full is twofold. 1st, my gas gauge will be just before the full line after a fill. Even if I continue to attempt to pump gas after the nozzle clicks, indicating it's full. 2nd, I use the dashcommand app on my smartphone to read various gauges. Immediately after filling my tank, it won't go past about 94% full. I have it set 19 gallon capacity. Prior to a couple months ago, the gauge would go all the way and dashcommand would go to 100%.

Anyone with thoughts on what could be causing this?
Parts Peddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:16 PM   #2
silver.ice18

Drives: 2014 2LS
I sometimes get this problem too
silver.ice18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:01 PM   #3
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
You said that it just started happening within the past two months... and, about two months ago, CA gas stations changed out the fume- recovery nozzles on their pumps, at least here in Southern CA.

For me, removing that goddawful spring loaded ("nozzle ejection unit!") 10- inch boot from the pump handle, and replacing it with a new, much smaller boot, has made it vastly easier for me to pump gas, and to fill the tank. With the old one, I had a very difficult time keeping the nozzle in place... it really would completely eject that thing, throwing the nozzle to the ground, generating a lot of curse words from me. The new one is not quite so "spring- loaded;" I can place it into the fill hole, lock the nozzle to "on," and have a smoke while I'm waiting (just kidding... not having a smoke... but I CAN relax while the tank fills up now, instead of having to throw 220 pounds of body weight into holding that spring- loaded piece of shlit in place).

I wonder if the different nozzle is somehow NOT working as an improvement over the old design, in your case?
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:30 PM   #4
alexlj92

Drives: 2014 Black 2SS
Mine has been doing this as well. It stopped 3-4 times in the process of a 13 Gal fill up last night. This was a QT pump.
alexlj92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 01:14 AM   #5
samgray20

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
I have started to run into this problem over the last few months. I always fill my car up at BP and have yet to have any issues there. I also have a good feel for how much it will take to fill up. On the other hand, I fill up my work vehicle wherever is handy and have literally had to "top off" the last 5 gallons of the tank on multiple occasions at different locations. It seems to be a location specific problem. I haven't noticed any obvious changes at these locations, so I'm really not sure what is causing it. IIRC Marathon pumps seem to do it most.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6 - Comp 227/243 .620/.612 | Nitrous Outlet Plate Kit - 100 Shot | ARC Bottle Bracket/Heater | NOS Progressive Controller | AEM Wideband | Kooks 2"x3" LTs | 3" Custom Catback | CAI Intake | Bo White PTB | Billet Motor Mounts | Hurst Short Throw | McLeod RXT | RAM TOB | 3.91 W/ Eaton Truetrac, LPW Cover, Poly Bushings, GForce 850HP Axles | Eibach Pro-Plus Kit | Whiteline End Links | Hotchkis Tower Brace | ZL1 Front End | Blue Powder Coated Calipers | Vorsteiner V-FF 101 - 20x11 and 20x10 | M/T Street Comp - 305/35 and 275/40 | 2 JL Amps | Diamond Audio Speakers | JL Stealthbox
samgray20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:38 AM   #6
Parts Peddler

Drives: 2014 1LT/RS
Update.

I switched brands and filled up at Mobile, today. I had been using Chevron. Filling at Mobil, I was able to get my gauge to cover the full line, and dashcommand reported my tank at 98.5% full. Scalded Dog, you may be onto something. I'll update again after my next fill.

Last edited by Parts Peddler; 01-26-2018 at 11:31 PM.
Parts Peddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 06:47 PM   #7
TWOFORTYZ

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS 6M
Try a spot with your car leaning to the driver side, it may help keep the air on the filler side. My Bronco would stop at about 1/3 tank every time unless it was leaning. I've also noticed pumps kicking off way early lately, I just "top it off" and get 3 more gallons in.

Tags
fuel, full, gas, tank