Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-28-2010, 06:19 PM   #1
GPD151

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS m6
Exhaust bolt in tire = bad day

Well, I left Buffalo Wild Wings and as I turned from the stop light, my tire pressure light started flashing and indicated on the screen my passenger rear tire had 6psi of air in it... I thought it was just going haywire, because prior to going to BWW, I didn't observe the tire to be low.

I pulled off and parked and sure enough, there looked to be some sort of exhaust stud maybe off of a mower or small car, stuck in the middle of the tire. I grabbed it and pulled it out (See attached pictures).

This occurred on Sunday evening. Monday AM, I called the dealership, who is an hour north of where I live, and they told me that I just needed to get the car to them, and reminded me of the "ultimate care package" I purchased when I bought the car. Unbeknown to me, that "UCP" is a bad idea. The towing they offer is only good for 25 miles, so the extra 25 miles I had to pay $2.50 a mile for to get it to the dealership via tow.

Maximus, the company that handles this care package told me that if I took my car to any other dealership, that I would have to pay for the tire outright, and submit a claim form within 10 business days, and within 10 business days after that, they would make a determination if they would reimburse for the tire and how much they will cover. Great. I went with the $62.50 in towing so I could avoid buying the tire and taking a chance of not getting the money back.

A few hours later, the dealership called me and said they did not have the rear tire in stock, and couldn't find any other dealers or retailers with the tire, and said they would have to get a new tire straight from Pirelli, and it would take time to get it from Pirelli, to the distributor, to the dealership, to me... estimated time 7-10 business days.

No bueno! I called up there again, after searching tirerack.com and discounttire.com and found that both those companies show they have plenty of inventory in stock of the same tire. I informed the dealership of this, and short of calling me a liar, they told me they use both companies as vendors and both do not have any stock and the websites are misleading. So day #2 was in the books, and aside from getting a loaner car from them (Having to get a ride up there, no less) I'm still not a happy camper.

So today, what'd I do? I called tire rack, and they confirmed that they had several Pirelli OEM 275/40ZR20's in stock and ready to ship... that the website is constantly updated, and they do not have a shortage of them...

What'd the dealership do? Nothing. Day 3--- No camaro.

I learned that the programs they sell at time of financing of new vehicles isn't always as good as it may seem. Anyone else have a similar horror story?

Hope I have it done in time for the Maple City Cruise night in MOnmouth, IL on Aug 6!
Attached Images

GPD151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:43 PM   #2
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
most things the dealer tries to sell you at the time of financing isn't as good as it seems. Good for them tho.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:32 PM   #3
KnightRiderSS
Voodoo Medicine Man

Drives: Black 2SS with RS package
How much did the warranty cost you? I purchased the tire/rim warranty and it was only $350 for 5 years...I think one polished alum rim/tire would cost more than that so that's why I opted for it.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:56 PM   #4
GPD151

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS m6
Yeah I think that's what it cost me. Considering I paid 60 something for the tow, and another 40 in gas to go up there and back, I'm only a little over a hundred bucks away from buying a tire myself and putting it on. Lessons learned, right?
GPD151 is offline   Reply With Quote