Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 08-30-2021, 09:58 AM   #15
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I found a channel, from a Member here I believe, on YT and noticed they track what looks like a Callaway ZLE. At any rate, the car is not stock, but I noticed they did some trimming on the panel that holds the extractor itself. I think that's along the lines of what I'm thinking about doing. I'm not worried about water or anything, so maybe I'll just take the plunge and do it. lol.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 11:09 AM   #16
kramard

Drives: 2012 BMW 135i
Mine is fully opened like the GT4 Camaro. I JB welded two studs to open it up. Can't say its helped or hurt but it is opened up and allows the rad to exit hot air at much larger rate than could have been possible with the OE plastics in place.
kramard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 07:06 PM   #17
radz28
Petro-sexual

So I priced-out the panel and figured I wouldn’t cry too hard if I hated it. Fortunately- I don’t.

I pretty much trimmed to the edge of the rain catchy-thingy-gutter, along the top. I didn’t want to loose too much strength, so I left as much as I thought would be beneficial and still not look entirely crap. I don’t think I’ll actually see an improvement in any PIDs, but I can feel a little better I might get a little more air flow.

I must say the attention to detail GM put into the area is cool. There were seals on the gutter (which I never noticed before) and around this support panel. There is no way I would leave the actual extractor unsupported by this panel though. It was neat to see the actual CF sheets underneath though.

Also - for all the sheet I gave Edelbrock for having to cut the hood to clear the 2650 on this car, this wasn’t too bad. There’s definitely some loss of support cutting this panel as much as you need to, but it’s probably not as big a deal for most people.
Attached Images

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 08-31-2021, 09:37 PM   #18
Motor Fast

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I found a channel, from a Member here I believe, on YT and noticed they track what looks like a Calloway ZLE. At any rate, the car is not stock, but I noticed they did some trimming on the panel that holds the extractor itself. I think that's along the lines of what I'm thinking about doing. I'm not worried about water or anything, so maybe I'll just take the plunge and do it. lol.
I think you may be referencing the Hendrick Callaway cars? Someone caught the one in my signature was a modified hood. I didn't catch that Hendrick / Callaway changed that until it was pointed out. There is a guy on here who bought one and added the 1LE package to it, he races it.
Old 09-01-2021, 06:51 AM   #19
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor Fast View Post
I think you may be referencing the Hendrick Callaway cars? Someone caught the one in my signature was a modified hood. I didn't catch that Hendrick / Callaway changed that until it was pointed out. There is a guy on here who bought one and added the 1LE package to it, he races it.
BINGO!!! Exactly right! It wasn't yours exactly, but similar around 4:41:

That's some mean stuff going on in those videos that's so cool to watch. The latest troubleshooting video was super-cool! It kinda' inspired me, too.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 09-01-2021, 01:44 PM   #20
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Has anyone removed the panel under the hood extractor and left it off, at least semi-permanently? That metal panel that has to be trimmed for some blowers/modifications? I think it's the same panel that has the openings for the hood extractor, too. I'm not talking about the CF-extractor itself, but the panel between it and the actual hood panel.

I don't drive in the rain or inclimate weather, and don't wash the car with water much, so I don't have much need to protect the engine compartment like the factory does from water intrusion. I'm wondering if it's possible to remove that panel, or maybe trim some away, to allow for more air to pass through the actual hood extractor opening for better cooling. Or - maybe just trimming it away enough for more air to pass?

Has anyone done this, given it much thought, or have comments that I'm not thinking of? Is this a good idea? Would it even matter that much?
I took it off and trimmed the inside layer (metal) of the hood originally I did see some flex in the carbon insert from wind while driving while not having the black cover on. I was careful not to cut or widen to much because i knew i was gonna run the LPE insert later on so I watched the SEMA build LPE continental car and paused it and saw just where to cut for the clearance.

Later I removed the plastic part glued on the back side of the oem carbon insert. Its like a stand of and hold 2 or 3 of the bolts for the metal cover.

I then reinstalled the metal cover and layed the template down over it to make the final cuts for the insert. Now I run part of the metal cover and the carbon lpe cover.

I love carbon but I can't stand that its 1 x 1 weave prepreg material and its not that glossy. I bought an extra insert and I'm having some made out of 2 x 2 weave carbon and it will be glossy vs there semi gloss also there part has a lot of imperfection. not in the weave but in the resin or epoxy it has some air bubbles or holes.

I have never used the rain channel covers ever.
Attached Images

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 01:57 PM   #21
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
I ended up selling my trufiber part I could not bare to cut it also since the carbon didn't match it would look stupid. I think I'm going to get another one and cut since I'm having the insert made in the proper weave and sheen.

I'll have to cut the carbon cover on these lines..
Attached Images

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 09:16 AM   #22
radz28
Petro-sexual

Considering you were one of the first I noticed doing that I definitely commend you on bravery AND the foresight in being conservative in your trimming. So far as I can tell, you kept it as tight as necessary and didn’t waste much, if any trimming. Many KUDOS.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"