Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 11-09-2021, 07:51 PM   #1
neil4374

Drives: Camaro SS 2011 L99
Leak!

Sorry for posting this here. But when I post them in the lesser read forums they don't seem to get read!

I have a leak from rainwater in my trunk. Now I have read the posts on here as I had a leak before. That time the leak was coming from those badly designed pipes that carry water through the trunk. (Why they carry water through the trunk makes me wonder wtf they were doing!) Well one had come apart. Fixed it and leak had gone!

This time the pipes both sides are intact and water doesn't seem to be leaking from there. However I have a damp patch on the right side and strangely on the trunk lid where the escape sign is.

So after reading up on here I did a water test starting with the sunroof. I poured water in the channel and it drained out into the trunk surround. No problems there.
Secondly I poured water around the trunk surround and it all poured under the taillight onto the ground.
That seemed ok.
HMM! could it be the rubber seal around the trunk?
Also the group(coil of wires on the right side was wet.

Any guidance would be much appreciated!

Please see the photos.
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2021, 08:42 PM   #2
Camaro2ss2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS M6
The wire could be getting caught between the seal and the trunk lid when it’s closed. I would have someone use a hose pipe while you get in the trunk with a light and look for water.
ECS supercharger, custom ground cam, ported throttle body, long tube headers, aeromotive fuel pump, fic injectors, ATI super damper, Corsa Extreme exhaust, elite engineering catch can and many other things.
Camaro2ss2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 08:45 PM   #3
neil4374

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro2ss2010 View Post
The wire could be getting caught between the seal and the trunk lid when it’s closed. I would have someone use a hose pipe while you get in the trunk with a light and look for water.
That's seems a strong possibility! I will try that. Thanks man
Old 11-09-2021, 09:07 PM   #4
Camaro2ss2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil4374 View Post
That's seems a strong possibility! I will try that. Thanks man
NP, let us know how it turns out.
ECS supercharger, custom ground cam, ported throttle body, long tube headers, aeromotive fuel pump, fic injectors, ATI super damper, Corsa Extreme exhaust, elite engineering catch can and many other things.
Old 11-09-2021, 10:24 PM   #5
neil4374

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro2ss2010 View Post
NP, let us know how it turns out.
Sir I salute you! I didn’t have time to do the water test yet. But I did look at the wire and I could see it was getting trapped in the trunk seal. I could even see the imprint from the wire on the seal! Thanks man

I will water test in the morning and hopefully after drying out the inside that’s it
Old 11-10-2021, 01:43 PM   #6
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
That trunk wire harness can and will break, it's very common on our cars. One day I had lost the ability to pop the trunk with the fob. The loom looked fine on the outside but when I pulled the tape, the wire had a clean break on the inside from frequently getting trapped on the trunk seal.

I solder-sealed it and rewrapped it with Tesa Tape (black fleece fabric tape), then re-routed the harness to not get stuck in the trunk seal. If you don't have any Tesa tape do yourself a favor and get a few rolls. That stuff is awesome and is exactly what GM and other manufacturers use on our interior and some underhood harnesses.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XPDVER2...I&sprefix=tesa
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 03:10 PM   #7
neil4374

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
That trunk wire harness can and will break, it's very common on our cars. One day I had lost the ability to pop the trunk with the fob. The loom looked fine on the outside but when I pulled the tape, the wire had a clean break on the inside from frequently getting trapped on the trunk seal.

I solder-sealed it and rewrapped it with Tesa Tape (black fleece fabric tape), then re-routed the harness to not get stuck in the trunk seal. If you don't have any Tesa tape do yourself a favor and get a few rolls. That stuff is awesome and is exactly what GM and other manufacturers use on our interior and some underhood harnesses.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XPDVER2...I&sprefix=tesa
Thanks man
Old 11-10-2021, 06:48 PM   #8
Camaro2ss2010

Quote:
Sir I salute you! I didn’t have time to do the water test yet. But I did look at the wire and I could see it was getting trapped in the trunk seal. I could even see the imprint from the wire on the seal! Thanks man

I will water test in the morning and hopefully after drying out the inside that’s it
Anytime. That’s what this forum is for.
Old 11-10-2021, 07:00 PM   #9
neil4374

Thanks all.
I did a water test this morning and climbed into the trunk. There were no leaks!
When the inside is dryer out and the cable that caused the problem, I will wrap it in the black fabric tape mentioned above and try and keep in permanently away from getting caught on the trunk and seal again!
Eternally grateful.
Old 11-11-2021, 02:25 PM   #10
zz430camaro

Drives: 2015 1LE
this should be posted in another section,
Old 11-12-2021, 10:14 PM   #11
neil4374

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz430camaro View Post
this should be posted in another section,
I really don't understand why you felt the need to comment.
Yes, you are right, it is in the wrong section.
But If you had read my original post I apologized for putting it in the incorrect section but gave a valid reason for doing so. If I put it in the smaller forums they don't get the same viewing. At least from my experience.
The help I got from the people ahead were awesome in the fact they were so helpful and they didn't give a rats ass if the post was in the wrong place. They very quickly helped me fix my problem and saved me money.
That's what I like about this forum. It's full of people who just want to help.
Admin please move this to the correct section so people with too much time on their hands don't cry about it.
Thanks
Old 11-13-2021, 04:34 PM   #12
zz430camaro

Drives: 2015 1LE
its all good
Old 11-15-2021, 07:30 AM   #13
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Quote:
I really don't understand why you felt the need to comment.
Yes, you are right, it is in the wrong section.
But If you had read my original post I apologized for putting it in the incorrect section but gave a valid reason for doing so. If I put it in the smaller forums they don't get the same viewing. At least from my experience.
The help I got from the people ahead were awesome in the fact they were so helpful and they didn't give a rats ass if the post was in the wrong place. They very quickly helped me fix my problem and saved me money.
That's what I like about this forum. It's full of people who just want to help.
Admin please move this to the correct section so people with too much time on their hands don't cry about it.
Thanks
On a very slow day at work, and knowing I had replied to many of your posts, I checked out your post history and I didn't really see anything of yours that wasn't answered in a timely manner. You may get more of the "yes I agree" in the some of the sections, but it usually won't change the answer.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 07:38 AM   #14
neil4374

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
On a very slow day at work, and knowing I had replied to many of your posts, I checked out your post history and I didn't really see anything of yours that wasn't answered in a timely manner. You may get more of the "yes I agree" in the some of the sections, but it usually won't change the answer.
I beg to differ. Anyway I got the answers so lets leave it there.