Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 12-21-2018, 11:12 AM   #1
Mongojoe

Drives: '14 2SS/RS 1LE NPP, NAV, Recaros
Stock Motor Damage / GM Crate Engine Options?

My stock '14 1LE with 38K just had a low oil pressure warning, and advised shutting the motor down. Towed to the dealer, and they think there is an internal issue with the motor (no details yet, but looks like hopes for just a bad oil pump are dashed).

If it needs to be replaced, I'm thinking about trying to replace it with a crate LS376/525 motor and pay the difference over a stock LS3 since the overall replacement is covered under warranty. Anyone tried this before or know if the stock 1LE Tremec can handle the extra power?
Old 12-21-2018, 11:32 AM   #2
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
Same trans as ls7 z/28 so it ll handle it. But dont much above it. Do you mind me asking how much for the crate engine?
Old 12-21-2018, 11:53 AM   #3
SSMY1LE

Drives: '14 1LE RS NPP Recaro
I'm basically running the same thing as the 525 HP crate.
Only difference is my ASA cam is the Howards Cams version. Same specs with a slightly faster ramp on the lobes.
Made an amazing difference in the 1LE with the 3.91's and Tremec ratios.
I would certainly go for it !!
Old 12-21-2018, 12:48 PM   #4
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongojoe View Post
My stock '14 1LE with 38K just had a low oil pressure warning, and advised shutting the motor down. Towed to the dealer, and they think there is an internal issue with the motor (no details yet, but looks like hopes for just a bad oil pump are dashed).

If it needs to be replaced, I'm thinking about trying to replace it with a crate LS376/525 motor and pay the difference over a stock LS3 since the overall replacement is covered under warranty. Anyone tried this before or know if the stock 1LE Tremec can handle the extra power?
Have they replaced the oil pump yet and started the engine to determine if there is other internal engine damage?

My 2013 1LE just had this very same issue this past August. I had started the car up to move it and load it onto my trailer to bring it home after a track day and that's when the low oil pressure light came on (it had run fine all day on track thank goodness). So I shut the engine down right away. Checked the oil level. Then restarted it once more to see what the pressure gauge would read and it was near zero so I shut if off right away.

I replaced the oil pump on my own at home with a Melling M295 stock replacement oil pump, started the engine after reassembly and it only had some valve train ticking for the first 10-15 seconds and then quieted right back down to normal once all the oil started flowing again.

I do know that the service manual had recommendations for diagnosis in it that involved running the engine until it reached operating temp and then checking oil pressure again. I DID NOT do that since it seemed like the exact wrong thing to do if there is a possibility of a not having any oil pressure.

Once I removed the OEM pump I took the front cover off to see if the pressure relief valve was stuck open and sure enough that is what it was. It wasn't stuck fully open but it was stuck open far enough that the pump couldn't build any oil pressure.

So it would be interesting to learn more about why the dealer feels there is something else wrong with the engine internally. If they followed the service manual recommendations and ran the engine up to operating temp in order to check oil pressure then maybe the engine was damaged internally from the diagnosis procedure more than the initial oil pump failure.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:13 PM   #5
Mongojoe

Drives: '14 2SS/RS 1LE NPP, NAV, Recaros
No updates yet from the dealer. They asked for my oil change history (did the last couple at Jiffy Lube, which they said shouldn't be an issue). I asked about the oil pump, but they think it's the engine. Still troubleshooting. Probably won't know more until after Christmas.

Thanks for the advice on the motor replacement. Will let you all know what I go with (if they'll let me). Thinking that LS376 or maybe an LS7. Just need it to be a fairly reliable DD.

Last edited by Mongojoe; 06-16-2019 at 07:20 AM.
Mongojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 04:05 PM   #6
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
I've had the LSX376 B-8 in my car for 6 years. Very reliable platform but heavy. I've added a lot of stuff to it over the years without any issues.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 04:30 PM   #7
DSMer1

Drives: 14 and 15 SS's
If it's covered by GM powertrain warranty they will not let you deviate from the stock parts. If warranty is covering your engine replacement, you will get a oem replacement. Hopefully you have never had any sort of a tune.

As far as your tr6060, they have handled much more power with great success.
Old 12-22-2018, 07:34 AM   #8
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Hopefully they did not try to start it with no oil pressure. If shut down when the warning came on, may just need a pump. Easy way to tell is cut the oil filter open and spread the media accordion out. If the media is full of metal - needs a complete overhaul or replacement. Nothing in the filter, should just need a pump. I'd tell them --- do not start that car and I'll be there when you cut the filter open.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote