Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Sponsors Camaro Builds / Project Cars

Old 09-20-2014, 08:52 PM   #1
jasonfichter

Drives: 2017 A10 ZL1
Pirelli World Challenge/Trans-Am Camaro Build Thread

Welcome to the build thread for our new Camaro race car. This car will be built as a Pirelli World Challenge GTS car as well as in Trans-Am race series as a TA3 car.

I currently run a Mini Cooper in World Challenge on Breathless Performance Pro Racing Team. Last season was my first ever race season and I finished in 5th place over all. This Camaro is an awesome step up from the Mini Cooper. I will be running both of these cars next season.

If you would like updates on the build please subscribe to this thread. I will try to update it frequently as things get done to the car.

If you would like updates on my racing please take a look at my racing page on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/jfichterracing

As of right now sponsorship opportunities are available for both of these cars. If anyone is interested, or you have any suggestions of sponsors I should pursue please PM me.

We are also looking for some design ideas if anyone is good with photoshop. We are looking to stick to the same colors as my other car.

This is my car I run now.

We bought the car as a theft car. The car had the engine and transmission stripped as well as most of the interior.
Its not much now but it has a lot of potential.

Sorry to keep everyone waiting.

The Arrival

The white beauty is my street car

Here is one set of racing rims that we have bought so far just to get the car rolling. The original set if rims was from an old firebird and they didn't fit over the brakes.

The Damage

Because we bought the car sight unseen we apparently missed an important detail, it had a sunroof. They also neglected to tell us that once the car had the engine and tranny removed the driveshaft was left in place while it was towed. This means that the driveshaft spun as the back wheels did and tore apart the transmission tunnel. We aren't complaining because this is the fun in building the car.

Here are some pics of the damage to the transmission tunnel. You can see the it not only destroyed the inside, but also the lip on the tunnel and the outside of the tunnel.

This is half of the shaft. The first half of the shaft fell off while we were pushing it because it was so damaged.

Here is a picture of the biggest problem right here.

The Fix

We began stripping the rest of the interior out. There wasn't a whole lot left so it didn't take long. The dash and all the bars were pulled so everything behind the dash could be removed.

The first attempts for the body shop to fill in the roof were unsuccessful. Luckily they blamed themselves and fixed it for the original price. They eventually decided it was better to replace the entire roof rather than to fill in the sunroof.

The First Attempt

The Second And Final Attempt

Transmission Tunnel Fix
It has been welded and reworked to look factory. Sorry I forgot to get pictures before it was fixed.

Tomorrow the car comes back from the body shop and thats when the real fun begins. Once it is back there will be no more repairs, only racing improvements. I promise the fun is only just starting.

The transmission pieces were delivered to the builder 2 weeks ago meaning it should be done in about a week and a half.

The pieces for the engine builder have just started arriving.

Update 1:

Steering Wheel Has Arrived

All of the wires have been removed. This is only 1/4 of it.

The doors have been trimmed down to fit the roll cage door bars. They will be trimmed much more later on.

Front crash bars have been removed and will be custom fabricated to be lighter
We are in the process of putting some heat reflecting material on the firewall and the transmission tunnel. This is what we have done so far.

Last edited by jasonfichter; 09-27-2014 at 09:36 PM.
jasonfichter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:06 PM   #2
jasonfichter

Update:

Seat has been mounted. It is ready to go to get the cage put in tomorrow.

Last edited by jasonfichter; 09-30-2014 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:07 PM   #3
jasonfichter

For other post
Old 09-21-2014, 06:53 AM   #4
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfichter View Post
For other post
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:13 AM   #5
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

Drives: A 2016 Challenger R/T M6 STP

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010, Stolen October 3rd 2016.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 03:41 PM   #6
Moreno1

Drives: G5.R
Jason, cool pics. thanks

What are the rules for WC GTS?

Are you allowed to mess with the suspension much, like pick up points, and geometry? apparently the CTSCC cars are not allowed to do much with suspension geometry. I wonder if you guys will raise RC after lowering the car, or just leave it lower and use a bigger bar?
Moreno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 03:59 PM   #7
jasonfichter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Moreno View Post
Jason, cool pics. thanks

What are the rules for WC GTS?

Are you allowed to mess with the suspension much, like pick up points, and geometry? apparently the CTSCC cars are not allowed to do much with suspension geometry. I wonder if you guys will raise RC after lowering the car, or just leave it lower and use a bigger bar?
The rules are very similar to CTSCC. To my knowledge, we aren't allowed to do any of that stuff.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:38 PM   #8
MJanowich
Door ding magnet

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Good luck in the new class Jason. It's good to see that your street car is a Camaro too! I get the feeling that a lot of drivers don't care what car they are in, as long as they can race.

I'm assuming that you'll replace the engine with a stock LS3? Do you have to run restrictors, or will you be able to boost the HP?

As for the livery, you could always do some sort of contest on the Forza forums. Some of those artists are extremely creative and talented.

"When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."
MJanowich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:19 PM   #9
jasonfichter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJanowich View Post
Good luck in the new class Jason. It's good to see that your street car is a Camaro too! I get the feeling that a lot of drivers don't care what car they are in, as long as they can race.

I'm assuming that you'll replace the engine with a stock LS3? Do you have to run restrictors, or will you be able to boost the HP?

As for the livery, you could always do some sort of contest on the Forza forums. Some of those artists are extremely creative and talented.
Thank you. I had the option of getting a mustang or a Camaro. It was an obvious choice. The car will have a race ls3 engine built. It will make about 430 hp. In World Challenge I will have to run a restrictor. In trans-am i will also have to have one but i can choose to run a bigger restrictor and more weight or a smaller restrictor and less weight.

The forza idea sounds great. Im sure plenty of people will want to design the car. Thanks for the advice
Old 10-27-2014, 09:42 PM   #10
jasonfichter

Update

Not sure why some pics are upside down. Sorry about that.

The cage was put in last week as well as the window net and steering wheel.
This weekend the dry sump was mounted and a custom box was fabricated to cover it up. We also made a floor pan with a custom dead pedal. Next thing is to have the radio delete panel built. Also a panel needs to be made to cover up the access from the passenger compartment to the trunk. The tranny is completely built and ready but the engine has taken slightly longer than expected to build. Hopefully it will be done in 2 weeks.
Attached Images

Old 10-28-2014, 03:03 PM   #11
Burt
Cone Killer

Drives: 2012 SS
Wow, I'm really excited to see this come together, thanks for letting us follow along. About what weight are you shooting for?

Selling off my remaining wheels, tires, 27mm front sway bar, and MGW shift knob. Get them out of my house before my wife puts me out!
Burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 03:14 PM   #12
45thAnniversary2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS LS3
Awesome!

Fishing rods in the shop? Get back to work!
Old 11-08-2014, 06:25 PM   #13
vatechguy3

Drives: 2014 ZL1 M6
Nice thread.

tony

2001 Z28 M6
!cags, !air, FTP 85mm Lid, Z06 85mm MAF, P&P TB
!4x4, Strano Springs, Strano Sways, Koni 4/4s, Watts Link
ARH LTs, ARH catted Y, SLP catback with Dual/Dual Muffler, SLP CME and Valance
OE Wheels Machined Face C5 DDs, 18x10.5s, with 295/35-18s on all 4 corners!
352rwhp and 366rwtq
vatechguy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:26 PM   #14
jasonfichter

Update

Car is getting closer to being ready for next season. Still some minor issues with the tranny and engine being built but hopefully it will be done this week. We should be done painting tomorrow.

All of the glass was pulled from car to get ready for paint

Excess metal was removed and bondoed

Car was prepped for paint

Cage was painted black