Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 01-07-2019, 06:11 PM   #15
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTIFIED View Post
Thank you!! Problem fixed.

As folks read the rest of my reply they should bear in mind that I had significant mods done in late May of 2018, incl. AR headers. The issue began soon thereafter and got worse during the hot Texas Summer.

Prior to mods I always noticed that it was slower than other cars (except for ZL1) to crank over. However, after the mods I noticed it cranking more slowly on hot starts and then during the Summer the problem got much worse (as in click, click, click, crank worse..). I had a new starter installed just as temps were starting to cool down. Seemed to help, but I could tell that it wasn't back to normal.

I had the 2nd ground cable installed about a month ago and and problem fixed. In fact, today it's in the low 70s. I drove the Z fairly hard and oil temp got to 210+ and had zero problem cranking over. We'll see how it does in the Summer heat, but so far, so good.
Glad to hear it!
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:39 AM   #16
jlwdvm

Drives: 17 GT350R, 13Boss302,15 Z/28
I have the opposite problem. When the car is cold, it cranks slow prior to firing off.....almost makes you think the battery is dead! It cranks fine when hot at the track.
jlwdvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:28 PM   #17
FLOW TIE

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #898
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdvm View Post
I have the opposite problem. When the car is cold, it cranks slow prior to firing off.....almost makes you think the battery is dead! It cranks fine when hot at the track.
How old is your Battery?
If it’s cold outside and you haven’t started it for a while it will crank pretty darn slow. You’re in Iowa, I’m guessing it’s colder than a Whitch’s T!!!Y up there..

My battery is now 4 yrs old. When it’s in the 40s here in DFW land, the car cranks pretty slow as well.

I’ll probably replace the battery this spring “Just because”, along w oil change, diff fluid, and my “starting to crack” Trofeos..

When I start modifying, I’ll do the extra ground wire that John (Justified) did.
I’ve seen first hand how well it works..
FLOW TIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:30 PM   #18
serviceguy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 # 89, 69 Camaro, 2013 ZL1
Anybody got details on the 2nd battery ground cable ? part number's?
pics ?
serviceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:48 PM   #19
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by serviceguy View Post
Anybody got details on the 2nd battery ground cable ? part number's?
pics ?
see here https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504199
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
starter