Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-14-2018, 05:15 PM   #15
punk5150

Drives: 2014 SS/RS CRT
Get a set of long tube headers with off road pipes and be done with it. The long tubes will give you the sound and performance that your looking for. You will need a tune after you Install the LT
punk5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:18 PM   #16
Vespane
Camaro Love

Drives: 2017 Camaro - 2SS
Reaper that would be amazing, haha.

I have an update kind of a ground breaking the most recent muffler shop I took it too the guy raised it up and he said "Where did this car come from?" "I bet I already know"

I bought it here in Texas but the car came from California. I have these huge disgusting California Cats on here, they are twin chambered at a 90 degree angle and rusted to all hell.

Mechanic was like yeah.... We are definitely getting these California cats off here.

This coming Monday they are taking them off.

Last edited by Vespane; 06-14-2018 at 05:21 PM. Reason: picture
Vespane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:42 PM   #17
Yellow Bullet

Drives: 2017 Chevy Sonic RS 1.4T
You have solved your problem, get those ugly things up and you will hear the difference

2017 Sonic Mosaic Black RS 1.4T
Yellow Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:01 PM   #18
Kajun

Drives: 2013 1SS L99
Not all mechanics are car enthusiasts. Plenty just do it for a living and they aren't the people you need to ask for advice on your high performance car. Pick your opinion source carefully. Ask the person your considering to work on your car a couple of questions. What do you drive? What do you drive for fun? I'm a service manager at a dealership and would rather hire enthusiasts over a guy looking for a paycheck. They will understand you better.
2013 1SS/RS L99-GPI VVT SS1 - TSP 1 7/8 headers with Borla Touring exhaust - ESS Tuning YSI V7 - Fore Innovations Dual pump fuel system - 1" BMR lowering springs - BMR toe rods and trailing arms - Prothane rear cradle bushings - Yank 3400 Stall -
Kajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:05 PM   #19
Vespane
Camaro Love

Very good advice im finding out very quickly that who you know is very important with these things. I plan on continuing to try to build reliable contacts.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:11 AM   #20
WheelMan69

Drives: 2015 SS/A6
I had speed engineering headers, off road pipes (They look like cats but they are straight thru ) X- pipe and nothing else here is my review of that.

Car was the loud that I wanted, At full throttle holy shit it was freaking stupid The rasp was horrible at low speed especially when the car would switch the AFM on it sounded horrible, Sounded like a angry 4 banger mix with a tractor.

Since then I have added a Magnaflow Catted X-pipe to the system and it sounds good but it quieted it down a lot im contemplating putting back the straight thur Xpipe and letting it rip tater chip now that its tuned and the AFM is turned off.

*VMAX Throttle Body
*Speed-Engineering Headers / No Cats
*Catted Magnaflow X-Pipe
*BMR Toe Rods
*BMR Xtreme Ant-Roll Kit
*BMR Trailing Arms
*CAI Cold Air Intake
*TUNED BY JAY @ KRAFTSWORKS EXCELL
WheelMan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:19 PM   #21
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Just a heads up, those aren't Cali only cats. They are the standard cats on every LS3/L99 Camaro.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:38 PM   #22
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
You don't have California cats, you have Camaro SS cats. They are doubled up on both sides of the engine and are why you are not getting much sound out of the car. As others have stated the factory cats are the biggest choke point of the factory exhaust system. If you can afford them go with long tube headers as they will give you the best gains and you can get high flow cats at that time instead of buying some that will bolt to the factory manifolds and then ones that will bolt to the long tube headers, or just skip cats all together and go catless. Running catless will be very loud, but also rather raspy. there's some good brands out there for either option you go.
Long tubes:
Higher priced: Kooks, ARH, Stainless Works
Mid priced: OBX, Texas Speed, Stainless Power
Budget: Speed Engineering (no cat option available from SE)

High flow cats to factory manifolds:
Solo Performance
JBA
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 05:13 PM   #23
Vespane
Camaro Love

You guys are all great,
Really good info here.
The next thing I want to target is that damn Active Fuel Management.

I want it to go away, not only can I feel it when it turns on and off, but it sounds horrible, When Im driving to work It just bounces back and forth between this highly annoying vibration and rasp to a higher pitch hum.

I've been watching videos on AFM still trying to wrap my head around it and ways to get rid of it.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:40 PM   #24
BT96SS

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS/SS
I just recently had Texas speed longtubes with high flow cats installed. I’m l99 so I kept the factory resonator and had muffler deletes. The car was very loud but I’m my opinion sounded better than a straight pipe car. It had deep tone. I thought it was to loud for me so I found a good deal on a complete Magnaflow catback. It was the resonator and dual muffler setup. It very Quiet now. I don’t know if I like it or not. I think I might put the muffler delete back on and see how it sounds.
BT96SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:55 PM   #25
Ashen2SS

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespane View Post
You guys are all great,
Really good info here.

I want it to go away, not only can I feel it when it turns on and off, but it sounds horrible, When Im driving to work It just bounces back and forth between this highly annoying vibration and rasp to a higher pitch hum.

I've been watching videos on AFM still trying to wrap my head around it and ways to get rid of it.
Where are you in Texas?
Ashen2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:55 AM   #26
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespane View Post
You guys are all great,
Really good info here.

If you’re looking to get rid of AFM, I’d recommend going with long tube headers because you’ll need a tune to get rid of AFM so you might as well tune for your headers at the same time because without a tune you’ll throw a CEL with long tubes.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:06 AM   #27
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
If you’re looking to get rid of AFM, I’d recommend going with long tube headers because you’ll need a tune to get rid of AFM so you might as well tune for your headers at the same time because without a tune you’ll throw a CEL with long tubes.
Op Pyro nailed it. Get long tube headers and a tune..it will solve your sound issue and Afm problem.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:52 AM   #28
Hitrodslp

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS m6
Long tube headers and a tune. Hi flow cats to keep the rasp down. No cats if you want more sound.
Hitrodslp is offline   Reply With Quote