Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 07-12-2018, 10:23 AM   #1
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Exclamation Is there another top with this problem?

Each time the top is lowered/raised, it detaches from the moldings at the quarter windows & is completely loose. There doesn't seem to be a way of securing it. Additionally, when the top is up, it appears that one side of the same spot, sits about 1/4" further back than the molding beneath it. As if it's too short on that side.
I've done my best to explain the issue. The attached picture shows the area to which I'm referring. Hopefully, someone who also experienced it found a solution to share, because I'm beyond frustrated.
Attached Images

Old 07-12-2018, 01:28 PM   #2
GodWentPunk

Drives: 2015 2SS White Convertible CE/INDY
What model/year is that red one?

joe...
Old 07-12-2018, 01:55 PM   #3
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodWentPunk View Post
What model/year is that red one?

joe...
I don't know, it's an online 5th generation picture to show the location of the problem. My car is a 2015, if that's why you asked.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:42 PM   #4
GodWentPunk

Ok... Our 2014/2015 tops so far have worked flawlessly and I've not heard of any complaints for those years. We know the 2010-2013 have issues and if the pic is from one of those years, then I wouldn't worry about it happening to our rides.

joe...
Old 07-12-2018, 02:49 PM   #5
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Quote:
Ok... Our 2014/2015 tops so far have worked flawlessly and I've not heard of any complaints for those years. We know the 2010-2013 have issues and if the pic is from one of those years, then I wouldn't worry about it happening to our rides.

joe...
I'm experiencing the issue on my 2015. It's the reason I'm asking if someone knows of a solution.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:18 PM   #6
GodWentPunk

Hopefully your warranty is still in place.. maybe have the dealership look at it?

joe...
Old 07-12-2018, 07:08 PM   #7
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
This happened on my first 2012 when the top was replaced. Instead of getting the top in the grooves correctly, most installers use a rubber mallet to get them in there. That in turn breaks the tabs and the top is ruined. Looks like your top was probably replaced at some point or it was defective from the factory. Bring it in to the dealer and get it checked out and documented.
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:23 PM   #8
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95birdible View Post
This happened on my first 2012 when the top was replaced. Instead of getting the top in the grooves correctly, most installers use a rubber mallet to get them in there. That in turn breaks the tabs and the top is ruined. Looks like your top was probably replaced at some point or it was defective from the factory. Bring it in to the dealer and get it checked out and documented.
To what tabs are you referring? I'm unable to find something online about them. I'm not doubting you, I simply wish to understand it. What was finally done to resolve the issue with your top?
Old 07-15-2018, 06:54 PM   #9
DaddySS
Kept The Faith

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
There's a TSB for the rear moldings coming loose. Don't remember the fix but have a look.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:02 AM   #10
GodWentPunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySS View Post
There's a TSB for the rear moldings coming loose. Don't remember the fix but have a look.

Are these the TSBs you were talking about? http://www.chevroletproblems.com/veh...aro/tsbs/2015/

I didn't see anything regarding the window but I'm going to look to see if there is anything else that might effect my car.

joe...
Old 07-17-2018, 10:43 AM   #11
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

The following message was in my inbox when I returned from dropping the car off at the shop again:

"I have had this issue before, the molding adhesive failed, go to the auto part store and get some trim/ window adhesive. put the top down roll the rear window up and then simply pull of the rubber piece and put a little of the adhesive in the slot, then put it back on and then secure it with some tape overnight and it will be fine. if i was at home i could give the part number."

I didn't name the forum member out of respect for his privacy, since he didn't post it in the thread & instead chose to send his assistance, for which I'm extremely grateful, in a message.
It's exactly what the shop said was going to be done, with windshield adhesive, so it was good news. I picked the car up yesterday & will post a follow up to confirm the result, in case someone else should unfortunately encounter the problem.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:58 AM   #12
taf21979

Drives: 2013 2ss vert
Quote:

joe...
Really 13s having convertible top issues that's news to me and I have been around the 5th gen game from the beginning. I think you should check your info 11s and some 12s yes 13s no. Not to mention the issue is regarding the 5th bow not the window separating from the window.
taf21979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 08:42 AM   #13
18LTLoveIt

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue LT RS
My experience with the dealers is 'deer in the headlights'. "We don't see many convertibles" and that was at 2 dealers! Undaunted, I went to the Top Shop for final diagnose and they said top was in perfect shape. That ride home I was done.

As for 2013, the original top issues that plagued 2011 & 2012, also effected early 2013s too. Build dates after Feb 2013 should be much better.

One quirky problem was a rubber stopper just above the plastic trim. Passenger side preformed as should, aka lined up. The driver one would be miss aligned and had to be manually adjusted as my wife dropped the top. I guess a glue issue. This went by all three shops. Again I moved on to a hardtop Gen 6. I was soo done.

I do miss the Gen 5 and enjoy seeing ones out on the road. The Gen 6 is a marvel too. I love the 8 inch infotainment with glass like surface. A pet peeve was the wear marks by preset stations.. the treatment on the surface worn off.

Best of luck on your Vert.
18LTLoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote