Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 10-21-2009, 01:09 PM   #1
SNV

Drives: 2014 RRM 2ls
Halogens

Has anybody swapped theirs out yet? Looking for something a little brighter. I was thinking about checking out the Silverstar Ultra's. Any feedback?
Old 10-21-2009, 04:57 PM   #2
shad2009
"Cassie"

Drives: 2007 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT
Send a message via AIM to shad2009 Send a message via Yahoo to shad2009
i know of a couple people that are switching theirs with HID's(the one's that didn't get the RS package) some are still switching because they want blue or purple headlights...i've seen a couple and they r bright, if you do decide to switch to HID's then stick with white or a bright blue...the darker blue into purple you go, the less you can see when it's pitch black out

Future Wheels - 2014 Ford Mustang GT & 2014 Chevy Camaro
shad2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:00 PM   #3
GreyGhost

Drives: Custom CGM/Pearl White 2010 Camaro
Planning to switch from halogens to HIDs (Xenon) from AAC while I have them adding halos to my non-RS headlamps. (Having the dealer pull the headlamps for me when the car arrives, sending them to AAC for halo install, then back to the dealer for re-assembly before I take delivery).

The result will be halos and HID's without the RS wheels and tires.

CGM w/ Pearl White and Kandy Kopper FlexPaint wrap, matching bow ties and brake covers, amber halos & fogs"
Awesome image by: Hazman
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:50 AM   #4
SNV

Thanks for the replies. I'm not really worried about having halos in it. Just want a little brighter for some of the backroads I drive. Always an ass load of deer lined up lol. I might go hid down the road. Right now was just looking for a brighter bulb.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:09 AM   #5
superb7714

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss black on black
Send a message via Yahoo to superb7714
how much did the charge u for the halos i have an 2ss without the the rs package what should i do to get the halos on my car
superb7714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:23 PM   #6
HaveBlue

Drives: CTS/CAMARO
Just an FYI,

GOVERNMENT CLAMPS DOWN ON HID CONVERSION KITS NHTSA Does Not Recognize “For Off-Road Use Only” Disclaimer

As SEMA has reported in the past, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is targeting high intensity discharge (HID) conversion kits for enforcement actions.
NHTSA has concluded that it is impossible to produce HID conversion kits (converting a halogen system to HID) that would be compliant with the federal lighting standard, Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 108. The noncompliant kits frequently include an HID bulb, ballast, igniter, relay and wiring harness adapters. NHTSA believes this equipment presents a safety risk to the public since the kits can be expected to produce excessive glare to oncoming motorists. In one investigation, NHTSA found that an HID conversion headlamp exceeded the maximum allowable candlepower by over 800 percent.

Halogen equipment uses an electrical current to heat a metal wire coil filament to incandescence, while the HID conversion kit’s light source incorporates a discharge arc to produce light. HIDs require a ballast for operation. Under FMVSS No. 108’s Section S7.7 (Replaceable light sources), each replaceable light source for headlamps must be designed to conform to the dimensions and electrical specifications for the headlamp source it is intended to replace. For example, if an HID kit is marketed as replacing an H1 light source, then it must match the H1’s wire coil filament size and location, the electrical connector size and location, and the ballast design for use with an H1 light source (which is impossible since there is no ballast). Consequently, companies that are manufacturing HID light sources (e.g., D1S, D1R, D2S, D2R, 9500, etc…) with incandescent light source bases (e.g., H1, H3, H7, H8, H9, H11, H13, HB1, HB2, HB3, HB4, HB5, etc…) should be aware that this light source design would not be a design that conforms to FMVSS No. 108, and could not be imported and sold in the United States without violating Federal law. (The importer is treated as the manufacturer and subject to the same fines and penalties that apply to a domestic manufacturer.)

NHTSA has also determined that a commonly-used disclaimer “for off-road use only” has no legal meaning and is not recognized by the agency as the manufacturer, importer and retailer are not in a position to control use once a product has been sold. Any equipment offered for sale which is covered by FMVSS No. 108 (headlamps, taillamps, side markers, etc.) must comply with the standard.

SEMA PICTURES-PARTS & CARS
http://www.pbase.com/haveblue/sema_2009
HaveBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:32 PM   #7
8ty8 ls1
Resident Engineer

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 1988 GMC S-15
i've installed the silverstar ultras and love them! takes away the yellowish color of the stock bulbs, plus is a decent upgrade in vision...now its time to get those oracle led fogs!!

12.68 @ 109: LSR cai, Borla S-type axle-back, Tunes
8ty8 ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:21 PM   #8
BLACK10

Drives: 2010 CAMARO. 10.04@133mph, 1.4 60'
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ty8 ls1 View Post
i've installed the silverstar ultras and love them! takes away the yellowish color of the stock bulbs, plus is a decent upgrade in vision...now its time to get those oracle led fogs!!
i did also, took the yellow out and a little brighter.
BLACK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:44 AM   #9
SNV

Well went to a local shop to get my wife's remote start done. We talked about bulbs and HID's. Guy gave me a package deal price to do wife's remote start and HID's for my car. I said the hell with it and had the HID's done today. Only went with 6k lights. I will say the little blue tint coming off the bulbs look great with the IBM . Now I have to do something with the fogs lol. Color of fogs are way off now. Not sure if I'm going to go with ACC's leds or try out Putco bulbs for the fogs. They look to be the only ones sell replacement bulbs for fogs.