Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 01-02-2024, 09:11 AM   #1
RalphGuevara
ZeusRS

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT|RS
Question PAC Head Unit / Radio Recommendations

Hey all! I've been wanting to get a new head unit for my car. My Link just ain't it anymore for me lol

I am looking for some recommendations or maybe some advice on getting a new unit for the Camaro.

The Features
  • Wireless Carplay
  • Integrated Camera Features
  • Between 6.5in - 7in screen
  • Compatible with Boston Acoustics Audio System
  • Customization
  • No Volume Knobs
  • Flush / Modern look

The Units (that interest me so far)
  • Sony XAV-9000ES
  • Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX

Side note looking at the Sony XAV-9000ES - I can see that the screen somewhat comes out or pops out, which is pretty cool because if you look back at the PAC kit, the screen is recessed inside of the kit itself. Take, for instance, this review - taken from Amazon.

This person is using the Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH although it had a 7in screen it did not fit. So that is also my worry as well.

I am also a little confused / lost on the little popup i get from Crutchfield stating:
An iDatalink-ready car stereo is required to retain your vehicle's personalization settings menu. does this mean the PAC?

Google brought me to Maestro after looking up iDataLink so if i need to get that then i don't mind it, i'm just trying to get all the items that i need for the install.

if any additional information, advice, or your thoughts on how it would look best is greatly appreciated.
As for the install itself, sadly i don't have any experience on installing radios of the sort so i might take it to Custom Sounds or somewhere to get it installed.

Sorry for the long post.
RalphGuevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 10:43 PM   #2
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I have had the exact system you’re considering for several years now - PAC with the Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX - and it’s been great. The only problem is that it started a spiral of other purchases - rear camera, new front speakers, new amp, and the best of all, a power sub. I haven’t touched the rear speakers because I like a front stage plus they’re supposedly a pain to replace. Each item I added made a nice noticeable upgrade in sound and the wireless CarPlay is awesome. I went with PAC because it comes closest to stock look, especially when I did it a few years ago.

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts - Current
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 01:56 PM   #3
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE AKA V1LE
Check this one out, I just ordered it. https://www.hamiltonmotorcompany.com...fth-generation
Old 01-05-2024, 03:52 PM   #4
RalphGuevara
ZeusRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheap Guy View Post
I have had the exact system you’re considering for several years now - PAC with the Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX - and it’s been great. The only problem is that it started a spiral of other purchases - rear camera, new front speakers, new amp, and the best of all, a power sub. I haven’t touched the rear speakers because I like a front stage plus they’re supposedly a pain to replace. Each item I added made a nice noticeable upgrade in sound and the wireless CarPlay is awesome. I went with PAC because it comes closest to stock look, especially when I did it a few years ago.

Yeah it’s so weird, like I want it to look stock still, but upgraded. And I feel like adding just a double DIN in there with a radio doesn’t do it justice, I went with both those suggestions because I personally feel aesthetically it looks pleasing and techwise it’s wonderful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-05-2024, 03:54 PM   #5
RalphGuevara
ZeusRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinman View Post
Check this one out, I just ordered it. https://www.hamiltonmotorcompany.com...fth-generation

Oh dang that looks interesting I’m going to look more into that for sure, kinda giving off the Digital Octopus vibe, but I hope the UI isn’t sluggish lol
Old 01-08-2024, 03:50 PM   #6
SS_Dave

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphGuevara View Post
Oh dang that looks interesting I’m going to look more into that for sure, kinda giving off the Digital Octopus vibe, but I hope the UI isn’t sluggish lol
It's the same thing. They're just another reseller like Digital Octopus. You can also find that and other variants on Alibaba.
SS_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote