Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 07-07-2013, 11:08 AM   #1
bigssc
Account Suspended

Drives: Black 2013 Camaro 2SS (auto L99)
tuning a ZL1

so my uncle has a ZL1 and he trying to figure out if he can do any types of tunes without the dealer finding out... i told him no, but i said i would ask fellow ZL1 owners to see what they said. but what tunes would you recommend if he was to do one? he just wants a hand held tuner he doesnt want a dyno tune yet because he wants to be able to un-tune it if need be. he already did the intake, a carbon fiber roto-fab (freaking beautiful) any help would be great thanks guy!
bigssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
bigssc
Account Suspended

Drives: Black 2013 Camaro 2SS (auto L99)
ZL1 tuning

(posted this in the ZL1 section but its a ghost town in there lol) so my uncle has a ZL1 and he trying to figure out if he can do any types of tunes without the dealer finding out... i told him no, but i said i would ask fellow ZL1 owners to see what they said. but what tunes would you recommend if he was to do one? he just wants a hand held tuner he doesnt want a dyno tune yet because he wants to be able to un-tune it if need be. he already did the intake, a carbon fiber roto-fab (freaking beautiful intake) any help would be great thanks guy!
bigssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
There is no way of hiding a tune on the SS and ZL1, the ECM keeps a log updates (flashes) .
Old 07-07-2013, 02:09 PM   #4
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
There is no way of hiding a tune on the SS and ZL1, the ECM keeps a log updates (flashes) .
This. No way around voiding your warranty if you tune.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:02 PM   #5
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Uh uh uh, not so fast guys, find an SLP dealer and have them do the SLP air filter, shorty headers, and SLP download tune, won't void the warranty.

Here might be the list of Dealers I'm talking about
http://slpcars.com/?page_id=1069

Then again that page says SLP parts are available through any GM dealer
Old 07-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #6
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
ALL tunes are detectable... whether you lose your warranty over it is a whole different story.

And none of this is specific to just a ZL1. If he's not going to do any other mods then a tune is worthless IMO.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:33 PM   #7
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-1822 View Post
Uh uh uh, not so fast guys, find an SLP dealer and have them do the SLP air filter, shorty headers, and SLP download tune, won't void the warranty.

Here might be the list of Dealers I'm talking about
http://slpcars.com/?page_id=1069

Then again that page says SLP parts are available through any GM dealer
Not true - the tune will void your GM powertrain warranty. SLP then has their own powertrain warranty.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:34 PM   #8
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Not true - the tune will void your GM powertrain warranty. SLP then has their own powertrain warranty.
just like Hennessey and some large shops, except this work is done at the dealership.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #9
armysig
Catch me if you can

Drives: 2012 IOM ZL-1
GM can see how many times an ECM is flashed (tuned) If the count does not match the official records for the vehicle they will void the drive train warranty no questions asked.
Some dealerships will look past the mods and tune, but GM could still request a data pull on the vehicle if it looks like the customer is trying to pull the wool over their eyes.
If you're worried about a warranty, then mod after it has expired. If not, you have to pay to play.
Sorry about being blunt, but don't expect GM to fix an issue that could be caused by a modification that is not OEM.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:24 AM   #10
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigssc View Post
so my uncle has a ZL1 and he trying to figure out if he can do any types of tunes without the dealer finding out... i told him no, but i said i would ask fellow ZL1 owners to see what they said. but what tunes would you recommend if he was to do one? he just wants a hand held tuner he doesnt want a dyno tune yet because he wants to be able to un-tune it if need be. he already did the intake, a carbon fiber roto-fab (freaking beautiful) any help would be great thanks guy!
There is no way to hide the fact that the ECM has been flashed more times than GM has on Record, but it is Very Unlikley that the warranty would be voided simply from a tune.

I have tuned over 1400 Gen5 Camaros and Not one time has anyone told me they're warranty was voided.

I provide Remote Custom Tuning Via the SCT hand held tuner and send tune files over email.

I have tuned over 100 ZL-1s to date.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #11
AMCBimmer

Drives: 2002 BMW M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
There is no way to hide the fact that the ECM has been flashed more times than GM has on Record, but it is Very Unlikley that the warranty would be voided simply from a tune.

I have tuned over 1400 Gen5 Camaros and Not one time has anyone told me they're warranty was voided.

I provide Remote Custom Tuning Via the SCT hand held tuner and send tune files over email.

I have tuned over 100 ZL-1s to date.

Ted.
That's great to hear. What about the CTS-V's?
Old 08-07-2013, 08:08 PM   #12
JANNETTYRACING

Yes many CTSV ALSO
Old 08-07-2013, 08:48 PM   #13
AMCBimmer

Drives: 2002 BMW M5
I still need my ZL1 to get tuned by you for Kooks headers and cats and Rotofab. I'm so worried about blowing the motor.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:37 AM   #14
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMCBimmer View Post
I still need my ZL1 to get tuned by you for Kooks headers and cats and Rotofab. I'm so worried about blowing the motor.
I can put those worries to Rest my Friend.

Ted.