Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-09-2014, 02:56 PM   #1
ss/rs/378

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Camaro Victory Red
Kooks headers

I ordered 2 inch Kooks headers thru Maryland Speed back on the 15th of May they just told me it was going to be at least another week to 2 weeks before I see them do not order them thru Maryland Speed they don't stock any Kooks headers find a dealer that stocks them save yourself a lot of headaches I just hope they get here before my scheduled tune and install I have ordered so much stuff over the internet and it has never taken this long very very disappointed with Kooks and Maryland Speed!!!!!!!!!!
2.55 UPPER PULLEY,100MM IDLER PULLEY,160 STAT,PORTED TB,PORTED SNOUT,MSD PLUG WIRES,NKG PLUGS,KENNE BELL EXTERNAL FUEL PUMP,2"KOOKS HEADERS,HIGH FLOW CATS,3"CORSA 60LB DEKA INJECTORS TUNED BY FROST 580RWHP,571RWTQ.
ss/rs/378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:31 PM   #2
Drbormd

Drives: 13 F150 Eco 14 ZL1 650 RWHP
If you have to change or get them soon give Tyler at JDP Performance a call. Had mine in stock. Shipped out that day.
Drbormd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:42 PM   #3
ss/rs/378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbormd View Post
If you have to change or get them soon give Tyler at JDP Performance a call. Had mine in stock. Shipped out that day.
I wish I could go else where but they have been paid already or I would they should at least give me a steep discount or something!!!!!!!!
2.55 UPPER PULLEY,100MM IDLER PULLEY,160 STAT,PORTED TB,PORTED SNOUT,MSD PLUG WIRES,NKG PLUGS,KENNE BELL EXTERNAL FUEL PUMP,2"KOOKS HEADERS,HIGH FLOW CATS,3"CORSA 60LB DEKA INJECTORS TUNED BY FROST 580RWHP,571RWTQ.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:44 PM   #4
AMCBimmer

Drives: 2002 BMW M5
Be prepared for a CEL. Kooks nor Maryland speed will help but leave you out to dry and play dumb
Old 06-10-2014, 04:54 PM   #5
2013 ZL1 #7860

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6 #7860
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMCBimmer View Post
Be prepared for a CEL. Kooks nor Maryland speed will help but leave you out to dry and play dumb
How is a CEL from installing long tube headers the fault of Maryland Speed or Kooks?

EVERYBODY said it would happen and a CEL related to long tube headers is expected on ANY vehicle or brand and with any header. This is common knowledge when modding and can be found in 30 seconds of searching online.

If you get long tube headers, you need a tune to avoid the CEL. Period. Pretty sure Maryland speed told you that because I read the post...

Also a month wait for basically custom parts is not horrible. Annoying yes, but not the end of the world.

I hope you enjoy them and post videos! I have my eye on the stepped version.
2013 ZL1 #7860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:02 PM   #6
AMCBimmer

Drives: 2002 BMW M5
When you advertise kooks headers and green cats are guaranteed for no codes it's called false advertising. I was one of the first with this setup .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 ZL1 #7860 View Post
How is a CEL from installing long tube headers the fault of Maryland Speed or Kooks?

EVERYBODY said it would happen and a CEL related to long tube headers is expected on ANY vehicle or brand and with any header. This is common knowledge when modding and can be found in 30 seconds of searching online.

If you get long tube headers, you need a tune to avoid the CEL. Period. Pretty sure Maryland speed told you that because I read the post...

Also a month wait for basically custom parts is not horrible. Annoying yes, but not the end of the world.

I hope you enjoy them and post videos! I have my eye on the stepped version.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:14 PM   #7
ss/rs/378

I wouldn't had been upset when I ordered them if they would have informed me at the time I placed my order with them if they would have told me they don't stock the 2" headers they have to be built then I would have understood and to tell you the truth that is the only reason I started this thread I still have till the middle of July before my tuner guy flies in to retune my car the bad thing is all my other parts are in and I could be installing the rest of my exhaust ,injectors, fuel pump,im just getting a little nervous the closer it gets to my tuner day.I have read enough reviews to know that Kooks headers are some of the best out there so I wasn't worried about them it was Maryland Speed that pissed me off.I also know about the possible cel but that happens with modding but I use one of the best tuners around so I'm not worried about throwing a cel never did with my first round of mods.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:29 PM   #8
2013 ZL1 #7860

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMCBimmer View Post
When you advertise kooks headers and green cats are guaranteed for no codes it's called false advertising. I was one of the first with this setup .
That is probably why I knew right away that you had them. (seen you in another thread about them)

They never were advertised to me as being guaranteed to be CEL free.
Less likely for a CEL maybe but the main reason to get the green cats is to be more likely to pass emissions. (the green means EPA Certified)

You can't move the cats (whether they are "green" or not) down stream and not have the computer think something is wrong when it reads the second O2 sensor readings. The solution is and always will be to tune it out.

And there are no guarantees in the aftermarket...

Maryland speed so far has been nothing but great to me. Ships faster than expected and cheaper than the competition...
Old 06-10-2014, 07:31 PM   #9
2013 ZL1 #7860

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss/rs/378 View Post
I wouldn't had been upset when I ordered them if they would have informed me at the time I placed my order with them if they would have told me they don't stock the 2" headers they have to be built then I would have understood and to tell you the truth that is the only reason I started this thread I still have till the middle of July before my tuner guy flies in to retune my car the bad thing is all my other parts are in and I could be installing the rest of my exhaust ,injectors, fuel pump,im just getting a little nervous the closer it gets to my tuner day.I have read enough reviews to know that Kooks headers are some of the best out there so I wasn't worried about them it was Maryland Speed that pissed me off.I also know about the possible cel but that happens with modding but I use one of the best tuners around so I'm not worried about throwing a cel never did with my first round of mods.
I hear ya! Just be patient and if it makes you feel any better. I have waited 4 weeks for an OEM rear wheel that is a stock item from another vendor. Now that is crazy to me.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:21 AM   #10
ss/rs/378

Quote:
I hear ya! Just be patient and if it makes you feel any better. I have waited 4 weeks for an OEM rear wheel that is a stock item from another vendor. Now that is crazy to me.
Yes that is why I went with Maryland Speed because of price and very good reviews and my local speed shop highly recommended the Kooks.I am going with the hi flow cats but not the green cats we don't have emissions testing here where I live so I didn't see the need to spend the extra coin on them.Well I hope you get your rear wheel soon that would suck so I take it you can't even drive your car till then did you see if anyone on here might have taken there stock rims off for aftermarket?
Old 06-11-2014, 04:44 PM   #11
2013 ZL1 #7860

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss/rs/378 View Post
Yes that is why I went with Maryland Speed because of price and very good reviews and my local speed shop highly recommended the Kooks.I am going with the hi flow cats but not the green cats we don't have emissions testing here where I live so I didn't see the need to spend the extra coin on them.Well I hope you get your rear wheel soon that would suck so I take it you can't even drive your car till then did you see if anyone on here might have taken there stock rims off for aftermarket?
We used to have no emissions in our county but we are being slowly invaded by the people from Kalifornia and the crazy ideas they have. So now I get to deal with emissions again... Yay!

I got my wheel yesterday and got the Mickey Thomspon 305/35/20 ET Street 2's mounted an hour later. These are a spare rear set so I can switch between Dr's and Streets without much appearance change. It was definitely worth the wait!

Post a video of your headers when you get them. I would love to see it.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:22 PM   #12
ss/rs/378

Quote:
We used to have no emissions in our county but we are being slowly invaded by the people from Kalifornia and the crazy ideas they have. So now I get to deal with emissions again... Yay!

I got my wheel yesterday and got the Mickey Thomspon 305/35/20 ET Street 2's mounted an hour later. These are a spare rear set so I can switch between Dr's and Streets without much appearance change. It was definitely worth the wait!

Post a video of your headers when you get them. I would love to see it.
Have you ever or heard of anybody running the Nitto NTO5R im think about running those on the street and strip?Oh by the way Maryland Speed has shipped my Hi Flow cats should get them Thursday and hopefully the headers early next week getting stoked!!!!!!!!1