Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-01-2012, 09:48 PM   #29
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
I read your post through and through, thanks for your concern about my post!. I wanted to find out exactly what was the issue since this became a major thread of mechanical concern that you posted on. You mentioned a grommet as I recall without any specific location, system function, or repair method. Just looking for clarification since so much passion was put into the post by the OP, and to enlighten us all if it becomes a point of contention for us ZL1 owners down the road. Any attempt of an explaination was vague and unclear at best.
I'm not trying to be rude at all but the explanation was very clear.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:59 PM   #30
CAM ZL1
CAM ZL1

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
I read your post through and through, thanks for your concern about my post!. I wanted to find out exactly what was the issue since this became a major thread of mechanical concern that you posted on. You mentioned a grommet as I recall without any specific location, system function, or repair method. Just looking for clarification since so much passion was put into the post by the OP, and to enlighten us all if it becomes a point of contention for us ZL1 owners down the road. Any attempt of an explaination was vague and unclear at best.
Location: Between a metal can of the PCV system and the intake manifold. Two PCV lines connect to this can, and at periods of high engine pressure vent excess back into the intake to prevent a blowout. I asked if this can was what I think of as an oil separator but the service manager wasn't able to confirm. If someone here knows more about the ZL1 PCV system feel free to fill me in as-well as anyone else who wants a more in-depth explanation.

Occurrence: High engine RPM's as experienced by aggressive driving.

Function: As I understand it, merely a pass-through of excess pressure between this can and the intake.

Repair Method: After confirming for the second time none of the PCV lines themselves were blocked, this can was inspected. The service tech attempted to blow air through the can and a blockage was confirmed. The center portion of this grommet was not completely cleared, so the service manager said he literally just peeled it away with his finger. He brought it with him when he dropped the car back off to me and I would say it was a dime sized piece of thin rubber. It apparently was able to hold back the several PSI that was enough to cause a seal to leak elsewhere in the motor however.

Tags
engine, leak, motor, oil, problem