Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-19-2014, 11:59 AM   #1
BGKBCK

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Perspective!

Thinking back to my days as an M5 owner and the mods I dropped coin on. Jesus H do they pale in comparison to the ZL1. I mean, not only in price but gains as well.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved my M5 as a daily cruiser; 7 years total, but I was so over the exclusive cost of ownership BS and insane prices you'd pay for aftermarket performance parts.

Any F10 M5 owners out there or former E39/E60 M5 owners?? Be curious of your thoughts since I was sooooo close to buying an F10 but knew the mod addiction I have might have led to a divorce
BGKBCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:21 PM   #2
Paladinjc
AC Pickles!

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGKBCK View Post
Thinking back to my days as an M5 owner and the mods I dropped coin on. Jesus H do they pale in comparison to the ZL1. I mean, not only in price but gains as well.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved my M5 as a daily cruiser; 7 years total, but I was so over the exclusive cost of ownership BS and insane prices you'd pay for aftermarket performance parts.

Any F10 M5 owners out there or former E39/E60 M5 owners?? Be curious of your thoughts since I was sooooo close to buying an F10 but knew the mod addiction I have might have led to a divorce
I just traded my 2010 M3 in for my 2014 ZL1 and I couldn't agree more! What I got on trade in for the M3 covered 85% of the cost for the ZL1, and the M3 had 29k miles on it. My M3 was very nice and I loved it, but it was VERY expensive. I couldn't be happier with my ZL1 for a multitude of reasons.

example: My Corsa exhaust cost $2800 not including the X-pipe, or the high flow cats, or the test pipes or even the install. It was $2800 just for the part.

I also looked at the M4 and almost got one. The many reason I didn't go with the M4 over the ZL1 was cost. The M4 in the config I would have wanted would have been 74k without tax, and as you know being a previous BMW owner BMW offers no incentives!
Attached Images

Last edited by Paladinjc; 06-19-2014 at 12:41 PM.
Paladinjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:48 PM   #3
ScottsLZL1

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
I do miss the Cobb Accessport Tuner... Quick 100hp increase...for my twin turbo with the handheld.

ScottsLZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:50 PM   #4
Paladinjc
AC Pickles!

Nice.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:16 PM   #5
boondocksaint
Cartoon Maus

Drives: White ZL1, Chevroyota Prizolla
Quote:

I've had M-cars (E36, Z4 M Coupe), plus an authentic 540 M-Sport. I focused solely on suspension mods, when I modded at all.

Cost of mods and gains from them are pretty much determined by the engineering of the car. In my opinion, it's hard to squeeze any more power of the BMWs V8 because 1) it leaks like a sieve stock and 2) the tolerances that remain from the factory don't leave much on the bone. I was always chasing leaks. Territorial cars...

That means the mods themselves have to be quite well engineered to get anything at all, short of forced induction, and even if it is a turbo or SC kit, they have to engineer it to work around the BMW design.

An American short block and the gopping engine bays they usually come in are ripe for modification. No VANOS nonsense. No ridiculous valley pans and plastic timing chain guides. So mod away. 'Murica!

boondocksaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:55 PM   #6
BigBoyBlue
Go NY Giants & NY Rangers

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
I've been an M3 guy for over 20 years and 3 of the last 4 cars that I had before my ZL1 were M3s. I had E46 and E90 in the last 8 years. I've taken BMW's M Performance driving courses in Spartenburg, SC, so I am a real M connoisseur. I've tracked M6s, M5s, M3s, and M's (Z4 M's). I liked them all, but none have been as well rounded as my ZL1. They had nicer interiors than my ZL1, but their powerplants were not as pleasing to me as my ZL1. BTW, the M3 is a much better track car than any M5 or M6. Everyone in my M performance classes agreed that the M3 was superior to the other cars.

Everything on the M cars was so much more expensive to replace or mod. Other than saying that you have a BMW M, I'm not sure why anyone would spend an extra $15k-$40k on an M car. I'd much rather pick up a ZL1 or Corvette and save the extra cash. I'd even rather a Shelby than any M car in just about every driving regard.

Getting much more from the M engines is hard. They are already tuned very high when it comes to horsepower per liter displacement. I believe my E90's V8 was 4.0 liters and had 414hp for 103.5 hp per liter. Anything over 100hp per liter is insane. With the big V8s from Detroit, there is more room to work with getting more horsepower out of the powerplant. Our ZL1 makes 93.55hp per liter.

After the 2008 financial crisis I promised myself that I would never again pay up for a foreign car or any label that did not warrant the premium charged. That said, I love BMWs and they are built great.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:46 AM   #7
AMCBimmer

Drives: 2002 BMW M5
Sold my 2002 BMW M5 with frame straightened 3 months ago for $15000. KBB was saying $6500-$9500. Best decision I ever made.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:10 PM   #8
BGKBCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladinjc View Post
I just traded my 2010 M3 in for my 2014 ZL1 and I couldn't agree more! What I got on trade in for the M3 covered 85% of the cost for the ZL1, and the M3 had 29k miles on it. My M3 was very nice and I loved it, but it was VERY expensive. I couldn't be happier with my ZL1 for a multitude of reasons.

example: My Corsa exhaust cost $2800 not including the X-pipe, or the high flow cats, or the test pipes or even the install. It was $2800 just for the part.

I also looked at the M4 and almost got one. The many reason I didn't go with the M4 over the ZL1 was cost. The M4 in the config I would have wanted would have been 74k without tax, and as you know being a previous BMW owner BMW offers no incentives!
Yeah, sounds about right lol...exhaust to the tune of $3k. I'm with you though, really enjoying the ZL1 and everything it has to offer.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:11 PM   #9
BGKBCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMCBimmer View Post
Sold my 2002 BMW M5 with frame straightened 3 months ago for $15000. KBB was saying $6500-$9500. Best decision I ever made.
Nice. Always loved Lemans blue!
Old 06-20-2014, 07:13 PM   #10
BGKBCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoyBlue View Post
I've been an M3 guy for over 20 years and 3 of the last 4 cars that I had before my ZL1 were M3s. I had E46 and E90 in the last 8 years. I've taken BMW's M Performance driving courses in Spartenburg, SC, so I am a real M connoisseur. I've tracked M6s, M5s, M3s, and M's (Z4 M's). I liked them all, but none have been as well rounded as my ZL1. They had nicer interiors than my ZL1, but their powerplants were not as pleasing to me as my ZL1. BTW, the M3 is a much better track car than any M5 or M6. Everyone in my M performance classes agreed that the M3 was superior to the other cars.

Everything on the M cars was so much more expensive to replace or mod. Other than saying that you have a BMW M, I'm not sure why anyone would spend an extra $15k-$40k on an M car. I'd much rather pick up a ZL1 or Corvette and save the extra cash. I'd even rather a Shelby than any M car in just about every driving regard.

Getting much more from the M engines is hard. They are already tuned very high when it comes to horsepower per liter displacement. I believe my E90's V8 was 4.0 liters and had 414hp for 103.5 hp per liter. Anything over 100hp per liter is insane. With the big V8s from Detroit, there is more room to work with getting more horsepower out of the powerplant. Our ZL1 makes 93.55hp per liter.

After the 2008 financial crisis I promised myself that I would never again pay up for a foreign car or any label that did not warrant the premium charged. That said, I love BMWs and they are built great.
Did it take some time getting used the extra heft of the ZL1?? Those M3s are pretty damn nimble...
Old 06-20-2014, 07:31 PM   #11
BigBoyBlue
Go NY Giants & NY Rangers

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Did it take some time getting used the extra heft of the ZL1?? Those M3s are pretty damn nimble...
You can definitely tell it's a bigger car. You feel like you're in an M-60 Patton tank. Once you take a few tight turns you are amazed that the car was on rails. "How could such a big car be so nimble?", you ask yourself. GM's done wonders with the suspension. You'll love it.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:16 PM   #12
Paladinjc
AC Pickles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoyBlue View Post
You can definitely tell it's a bigger car. You feel like you're in an M-60 Patton tank. Once you take a few tight turns you are amazed that the car was on rails. "How could such a big car be so nimble?", you ask yourself. GM's done wonders with the suspension. You'll love it.

agreed.