Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-07-2018, 07:13 AM   #57
jaymoo7

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
As I watch the bids go up and think about all the ups and downs.... It will be hard to watch it roll out. I don't think I have had near as much fun in any other car....or been as frustrated.... the cars has 11,000 miles and is on the 4th motor, 3rd transmission and probably the 4th or 5th clutch, 3rd rear diff....it has been a bit of a money pit. Everything in it now is the best money can buy so it is a bargain.... the reserve price is less than what I have in the last engine build.
I've watched you and I understand. Enjoy the other cars and keep in touch.

SOLD 2013 Camaro ZL1 M6
2013 ZL1 A6- Still completely stock.
jaymoo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:38 AM   #58
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB'sZL1 View Post
Why so many engines and transmissions? I thought turbos, once properly installed, are "safer" than superchargers as they rely on exhaust rather than the cam for power.
It really depends on how much power the car is actually making. The short answer is 1400+ horsepower, over 4000 pounds and a lot of racing events. I drag raced it a lot for a while and was running consistent 10's with the clutch. I haven't checked the boards for a while but at one time it held the 60 ft record for drag radials and a manual transmission with a 1.49 60 foot time. I would take the engine to 6000 rpm and then dump the clutch then just after it launched I would put the clutch half way back in while holding throttle wide open and let it slip so it would not bog....good times but broke some transmissions and smoked some clutches....It has got a $6000 dollar clutch in it right now. The engines always let go either road racing or running the mile. I had a problem blowing the head gaskets with 1400+ horsepower and running the engine wide open at a racing events. A lot of the time, by the time I got the car shut down, what started as just a blown gasket turned into bent rods or worse once the water was in the block. It all happens pretty fast at 200 mph. The first block I had o-ringed the horsepower fractured the actual head...this was an expensive set of trickflow heads, destroyed the whole engine. Now it has some crazy custom stuff from LME, o-ringed and supposed to handle 2500hp. If you make really big horsepower and actually run the car at crazy speeds and not just zip it over the dyno it is really tough on the metallurgy. Even 1/4 mile racing for 10 seconds or less is pretty easy on engines, if you want to test a big power engine hold it wide open for a minute and see what happens....

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:49 AM   #59
farm rat

Drives: 2011 Vistory Red 1LS
Looks like the reserve has been met

2011 1LS M6 Victory Red

Sold
1967 Coupe Green and White
1969 SS 396 Hugger Orange
1969 Z/28 All original White with deluxe interior
1970 RS Blue
1978 Coupe Fugly Green
1978 WS-6 Trans-Am Factory 4 speed
1985 IROC-Z Red
farm rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 05:37 PM   #60
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
It really depends on how much power the car is actually making. The short answer is 1400+ horsepower, over 4000 pounds and a lot of racing events. I drag raced it a lot for a while and was running consistent 10's with the clutch. I haven't checked the boards for a while but at one time it held the 60 ft record for drag radials and a manual transmission with a 1.49 60 foot time. I would take the engine to 6000 rpm and then dump the clutch then just after it launched I would put the clutch half way back in while holding throttle wide open and let it slip so it would not bog....good times but broke some transmissions and smoked some clutches....It has got a $6000 dollar clutch in it right now. The engines always let go either road racing or running the mile. I had a problem blowing the head gaskets with 1400+ horsepower and running the engine wide open at a racing events. A lot of the time, by the time I got the car shut down, what started as just a blown gasket turned into bent rods or worse once the water was in the block. It all happens pretty fast at 200 mph. The first block I had o-ringed the horsepower fractured the actual head...this was an expensive set of trickflow heads, destroyed the whole engine. Now it has some crazy custom stuff from LME, o-ringed and supposed to handle 2500hp. If you make really big horsepower and actually run the car at crazy speeds and not just zip it over the dyno it is really tough on the metallurgy. Even 1/4 mile racing for 10 seconds or less is pretty easy on engines, if you want to test a big power engine hold it wide open for a minute and see what happens....
Thank you for the rather complete response.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:34 PM   #61
2NASSTY

Drives: 2014 M6 ZL1
Sorry to hear this Jess but I understand. I’ve also been following your builds when they were up and down. Also received some great input from Andy at ADM.

Appreciate all the input you provided on this platform. We basically learned what not to do with your R&D. Thank you!
06' LeMans Blue Metallic Z06, 11.726 at 127.80 MPH Motor - SOLD.
96' Impala SS LTx, 11.397 at 118.10 MPH Motor, 1st stage 10.526 at 127.46 MPH
2NASSTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:37 AM   #62
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NASSTY View Post
Sorry to hear this Jess but I understand. I’ve also been following your builds when they were up and down. Also received some great input from Andy at ADM.

Appreciate all the input you provided on this platform. We basically learned what not to do with your R&D. Thank you!
I still have my 2016 but it is much more tame than this 2013. I used to say there was no such thing as too much power but when I started going sideways at 150mph I started rethinking that a little. Always glad I could help on the boards. I'm planning on going back to road racing more and will probably keep a stock engine for a while just to prevent the big failures. I suspect I will crave the power and eventually make some upgrades.... time will tell.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote