Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-25-2018, 03:26 PM   #1
Thefoodman52

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Looking to do suspension upgrades.

Howdy, still fairly new the 5th gen scene. Coming from '98 Z/28 that I spent a few years doing a little restomod to.

As by description, I've got a 2010 2SS. I've read that these have the FE3 style suspension and that the sway bars are basically useless on the rear end, and the bolts on the front end links can shear in half when the car is lowered.
I'm looking to do BC Racing coilovers but I worry that I'll cause some kind of premature failure on the sway bars/bolts if I don't convert the car to FE4 suspension parts first.

Is this a major issue, or would I be alright with just throwing coilovers at it?
I have no intention of track-driving or "mexico racing", this is my daily driver. Just not a fan of half-assing things.
Thefoodman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 12:45 PM   #2
K's Speed & Sound

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss rs
First off I would upgrade your swaybars, you will see better results then just coilovers. Then Do coilovers. But good swaybars will make a WOLRD of difference
K's Speed & Sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 12:18 AM   #3
TWOFORTYZ

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS 6M
Start with an ALIGNMENT. Best bang for your buck hands down. Keep it toed in unless you live on the track.

As a budget oriented individual, I started with a square wheel setup, then rear swaybar, then alignment. The square wheel change made the most difference, swaybar was noticeable but not significant, alignment woke the car up.

Last edited by TWOFORTYZ; 06-03-2018 at 12:33 AM.
TWOFORTYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 01:29 AM   #4
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
JPSS spec alignment, rear swaybar/FE4 conversion, then coilovers/springs. After or when you add coilovers/springs do the rest of the rear. I highly recommend solid subframe bushings.
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 12:26 PM   #5
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
I went with BC Racing ER Series, because I wanted to adjust both rebound and dampening. Shop around and research CO's and general suspension info on this forum and elsewhere. Justice Pete (JPSS) is the most knowledgeable dude on this forum when it comes to Gen5 suspension systems, and he will not steer you wrong. There are many options, depending on your budget. I really like my BC's, but there are others that will suit your needs.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 01:20 PM   #6
drago

Drives: 2015 1le
talk to pete at jpps..he will hook you up
drago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 02:18 PM   #7
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Look at my mod list... I've got a ZL1 rear sway and 1LE rear shocks to throw on too...just waiting to install.

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:35 PM   #8
TWOFORTYZ

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_SS10 View Post
JPSS spec alignment, rear swaybar/FE4 conversion, then coilovers/springs. After or when you add coilovers/springs do the rest of the rear. I highly recommend solid subframe bushings.
I agree with the JPSS alignment but you have to run the front toed in. Toe out gains nothing on a street car and nothing to the peak cornering forces, only makes the car dodgy so it wants to turn ALL THE TIME. Also, how many of us are actually outperforming the cars? With many years of road racing experience I have no need for more than what my car can do currently, all I need to add is sticky tires and the car will be well beyond my (fast) capabilities.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:46 AM   #9
WarDaddy376

Drives: 2013 SS Camaro
I just talked to Pete at length last week and based upon my conversation I am going to do what he says. My car came with Eibach lowering springs, they are cold rolled and worthless. Going with Detroit Speed hot rolled springs and about 6/7 other suspension mods to make everything work in tandem. He does know his stuff and that alone saves you many dollars and tons of frustration. Maybe I will have my own version of a Z28 after all
WarDaddy376 is offline   Reply With Quote