Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Vendor and Seller review / feedback / experiences

Old 02-15-2010, 04:16 PM   #43
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 GTO View Post
Have to watch out for the Octane police.
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:13 PM   #44
VinceTrifecta

Drives: 2013 Cadillac ATS4 2.0L Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrray13 View Post
I'd just like to find some premium fuel in my area with no ethanol. I've seen the knock sensors just as active running the higher E10 blend we get compared to the straight gas lower octane stuff.
That's how it is in Seattle (and many other places in the US), too - E10 also requires a richer mixture for full power because its stoichiometric ratios are lower.

This is why custom tuning has to involve a feedback process of datalogging, to be sure the tune is optimized for a given fuel quality, for a given engine's build, for a given, unique engine, and for a given operating environment.
VinceTrifecta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:19 PM   #45
Beauwulf

Drives: '10 LT RS A6 & '04 Acura RSX Type S
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceTrifecta View Post
My apologies, many of our customers are waiting for updates from our being closed for three weeks.
Thank you for that Vince... BTW, your stuff is at at top of the V6 "Fast List"! Now, if you could just find another tenth in the tune somewhere....

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61392
Old 02-15-2010, 08:20 PM   #46
nallen00

Drives: '09 Coby SS/TC
Send a message via Skype™ to nallen00
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceTrifecta
That's how it is in Seattle (and many other places in the US), too - E10 also requires a richer mixture for full power because its stoichiometric ratios are lower.

This is why custom tuning has to involve a feedback process of datalogging, to be sure the tune is optimized for a given fuel quality, for a given engine's build, for a given, unique engine, and for a given operating environment.
This is a great point. Every state sells some E10. Problem is some states do not require pump labeling (Indiana), others only require labeling above 1-2%, while the majority of states require it (WA up to 10%, IL 1% or higher). Max is 10%. E85 is a flex fuel, and is regulated differently. The equivalence ratios are very close to gas, so ball-parking the AFR's is fairly straight forward. For consistency's sake, if you're state requires labeling, just make sure it reads "WITH 10% Ethanol" and not "Contains UP TO 10% Ethanol". The "up to" blends are all over the map between 1-10%.

Precisely why Kent will be taking an EZ Flash cable home for further refinement of the tune.

Last edited by nallen00; 02-15-2010 at 08:33 PM.
nallen00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:06 PM   #47
tstpierre

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT
Guess I'm the first "production" car tune

I've been running 91 octane in my logs im sending Vince. Since day one, I noticed the feel of the car is better with 91 than 87.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:58 AM   #48
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by nallen00 View Post
This is a great point. Every state sells some E10. Problem is some states do not require pump labeling (Indiana), others only require labeling above 1-2%, while the majority of states require it (WA up to 10%, IL 1% or higher). Max is 10%. E85 is a flex fuel, and is regulated differently. The equivalence ratios are very close to gas, so ball-parking the AFR's is fairly straight forward. For consistency's sake, if you're state requires labeling, just make sure it reads "WITH 10% Ethanol" and not "Contains UP TO 10% Ethanol". The "up to" blends are all over the map between 1-10%.

Precisely why Kent will be taking an EZ Flash cable home for further refinement of the tune.

Awesome! I guess I'll need to tune for the higher octane, E10 blend. It's also, on average, $.05 cheaper per gallon then straight gas 87.

Beauwulf, I'm closing in on your fast v6! I've done a best, unofficial of 14.22 @ 102mph. Maybe the tune, LTs , hi flows and possibly a CAI will get me there! Then I've gotta go find a track and make it official! My times are on my DashHawk.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:24 AM   #49
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
I have saying this for MONTHS!! Every one thinks I'm crazy... everyone says that the LLT can't benefit from running premium fuel because it's not tuned for it.... I tend to disagree and what I've found, which is basically what Vince found is the knock sensors are a lot less active when I run higher octane fuel...

Now, i've never tested on the dyno or the track... but I think I will try it this spring at the track and see what happens!
I know I've said that it was a waste of money in other threads to get the higher octane fuel, but it's good to see that we have real data now to prove that it's not a waste. I know I will be using higher octane fuel from now on. Thanks for providing us that data.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:45 AM   #50
nallen00

Drives: '09 Coby SS/TC
Send a message via Skype™ to nallen00
Any engine capable of adapting to varying quality/octane will show a marked improvement in tractability and mileage via KR and enhanced timing, with a slight increase in power. Depends on the actual improvement made when moving to the higher octane. Just keep in mind the E10 issues described above.
nallen00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:47 AM   #51
ROD1
Retired

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS V6 #1301 DOB 3/23/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceTrifecta View Post
The first 2010 LLT car we did produced a gain of 23HP and around 17TQ on the dyno, and I'll post the dyno sheet if I can find it. The reason it gained this much power was because the equipment that had been installed by the owner caused the WOT fuel mixture to be incorrect (very lean).
But, wasn't his after tune dyno 272 hp? Ide call that a definate increase over stock HP.
ROD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:01 AM   #52
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROD1 View Post
But, wasn't his after tune dyno 272 hp? Ide call that a definate increase over stock HP.
But the car WASN'T stock... it had an aftermarket CAI which according to Vince's post was causing the car to run lean. When they dyno'd the car without the tune it was only at 248 RWHP... that's what my car dyno'd at 100% stock... so it would appear the aftermarket CAI wasn't helping the car, in fact it might actually have been hurting it... Vince straightened out the A/F and that's when they seen the nice gain!

So the thing is on a stock car the A/F is fine and there really isn't anything to "fix" to get any noticeable gains... which is why Vince posted what he did... that a tune for this car is not for the masses but rather for guys who have modded there cars and need some tweaking..
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:12 PM   #53
ROD1
Retired

[QUOTE=scrming;1491778]But the car WASN'T stock... it had an aftermarket CAI which according to Vince's post was causing the car to run lean. When they dyno'd the car without the tune it was only at 248 RWHP... that's what my car dyno'd at 100% stock... so it would appear the aftermarket CAI wasn't helping the car, in fact it might actually have been hurting it... Vince straightened out the A/F and that's when they seen the nice gain!QUOTE]

So are you expecting somewhere in the 280s for your car when you get your cai installed?
Old 02-17-2010, 06:23 PM   #54
ROD1
Retired

This is the Dyno for Hanover fist. Went to Vince untuned with a CIA, ran a stock tune dyno then a dyno with the trifecta tune. Most impressive gains.Note how the CAI took out the hp dip from 5000-5500 rpm even before the tune.
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2010, 01:52 PM   #55
esperman
You Can Call Me Jay

Drives: 2010 1LT RJT Manual w/CAI & Solo
Rod, what other mods do you have other than the Airaid? Sorry it you already had posted that info.

how does the car respond now that you've been running this tune?
esperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:12 AM   #56
BLK2LT
BLK2LT

Drives: JBA's, Injen, Trifecta, Magnaflows
I have ordered a trifecta tune as of two days ago and was wondering if i should pay to keep the ez flash cable so that i can do data logs or just get the tune done send it back and then wait and see if there will be anymore available options to tune on our v6's?
Anybody's thought?
Also i will be happy to inform yall of my results as soon as i do my tune. I have JBA shorties and a G5CR CAI.
Thanks,
Mark
BLK2LT is offline   Reply With Quote