Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-19-2017, 11:17 AM   #15
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc615 View Post
So,they only,state it to camaro5 members? This is BS what GM is doing and not sure how you or anyone can defend them
I'm unclear of the point you are trying to make other than to be upset. Many C5 members have deep ties and are connected directly to GM through friends and family as well as employees from janitors to the board of directors. We have known since 2009 that modifying the vehicle easily has the potential of the manufacture arbitrarily voiding your warranty with no justifiable basis.

Defend them? You misread my post, your "friend who owns the 2SS" is completely at fault for not understanding how to play the mod game. Sucks completely for him, but this is like blaming the cop who wrote me a ticket because I was driving 90 in a 65. People scamper and scream "rights" this and "protected legal privileges" that until they're blue in the face in some sort of mythical fantasy land. The real life world we live in is this -> legal or not is a court date, attorneys, a few hundred thousand dollars and up to 10 years against corrupted legal system, bribes and an unthinkable monster with more money than god.

I know of many mod friendly dealers who don't give 2c that take care of enthusiasts 110%. I personally know a track racer with over $100k in aftermarket mods and the dealer that warrantied his vehicle 100% for 3 years. The vehicle was not street legal (exhaust) and had to be trailered to the dealer for warranty work, including a new transmission and push rods. I also know dealers who will flag your electrical warranty for swapping LEDs into the DRLs. Get connected and pay your sweat and dues and/or wait until the warranty is up before doing mods, anything else is basically Russian roulette.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeb View Post
They can't void ALL of the warranty based on a catch can. Maybe just something's related to the catch can
Manufactures can do whatever they want, there is no consumer protection and believing otherwise will cost you money to prove.

----------------------------------------------

If anyone believes otherwise, good luck with your court case. Seriously, good luck...maybe you can get a sympathetic State Attorney General involved or a pro-Bono lawyer with unlimited pockets and set precedence for the rest of us. We have zero protection from big business.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:23 AM   #16
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viczl1 View Post
...So if I get the rattle or WHEN I get the rattle are they going to tell me my Rotofab Intake or tank caused it? Lolol. Total BS.
Depends on dealer, but the answer is maybe.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:30 AM   #17
Gstick

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS/RS 1LE
My 15' 1LE is staying 100% stock, so when I want to buy a new Corvette, I won't lose any cash on aftermarket mods.
Gstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:40 AM   #18
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
if he trades it will probably be for a GT 350 after the way the general shafted him...shameful,IMO
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:43 AM   #19
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
https://my.chevrolet.com/home/?evar18=ch_header_link

Have your friend create an account. It may tell him if his warranty is in tact. I'm thinking there is a chance that the dealership may not have actually flagged it, maybe they did. It is possible that part of the diagnosis for a stumble involves checking the PCV system, which they cannot do with a catch can added to the system. If that's the case, they might have just said no without flagging the denial. (not to mention that if there is an issue with the can or the installation, it could actually be causing the stumble) Adding a catch can is changing the system as designed which is the system as warrantied, and that can cost you the warranty. You can fight it all day long, but this is one you will lose in the end. Don't be a victim of mis reading the MMA.

The other thing for them to try is to remove the catch can, and go to a different dealer. The worst thing that can happen is they tell him the car is flagged and he'll know for sure then.

Ladies and gentlemen, if warranty is important to you, be very careful about the modifications you do. Don't do anything without talking to a service manager first. This is especially true during the first year of ownership. It's typically in this first year that the factory installed gremlins show their faces. Do yourself a favor, ask questions and wait.

Last edited by MrChrisLS3; 03-19-2017 at 12:00 PM.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:53 AM   #20
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
did GM forget they included the catch can system as an add on in the 1LE?
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:59 AM   #21
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Why are some supporting a company that is screwing it's loyal customers lately. I don't get it. GM stop the bullcrap and return the loyalty to your most supportive customers.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 12:13 PM   #22
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
If people did the -8 nylon braided hose mod i did they wouldn't need a cleanside catch can. Absolutely no oil flows through my -8 hose from the pcv valve to the intake tube, and the engine revs way more freely because of the -8 vs 3/8th tubing.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 12:30 PM   #23
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
No, but that is system they designed, tested, and integrated into that engine. An aftermarket system is not the one they designed nor warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
Why are some supporting a company that is screwing it's loyal customers lately. I don't get it. GM stop the bullcrap and return the loyalty to your most supportive customers.
I personally am not defending GM, just stating the facts as I understand them. These engines are very complex and very expensive. The manufacturers have researched, tested, and designed these engines to drip every ounce of performance they can, safely, reliably, and meet all kinds of stringent requirements. The systems are integrated so tightly that a small change to one system effects many others.

In this example, if I'm the dealership, and the customer brings in a car with a catch can and a stumble on acceleration, I'm going to check it according to the diagnostic trouble shooting guide, up and until it goes into the PCV system. I'm going to stop there, because that is not our system and it changes the PCV system as designed. It also makes any other diagnosis unreliable as an issue with this could potentially cause problems with other systems, or cause false readings. Now, at this point, I'm going to tell you to go home, take the catch can off and put everything back to factory spec, and then take a look at it.

That whole idea of being protected under the Magnuson Moss Act is widely mis-understood. That part that many quote as a manufacturer needing to prove that an aftermarket part caused a failure is incorrect. That part of the act in regards to "aftermarket" parts is for direct replacement parts. It's called "tied in sales". This means that GM cannot void your warranty if use a Fram air/oil filter, or NGK spark plugs, or Goodyear Belts, or Hawk brake pads, etc. So long as the replacement part meets or exceeds OEM specification. They cannot force you, or threaten to void your warranty for not using "AC/Delco" replacements. MMA will not protect you if change a system, or a part that changes the parameters of, or how a manufactured designed system operates, and a catch can changes how the PCV system operates. So does and air intake system or exhaust system involving replacing the factory catalytic converters.

I don't get how people change systems on their car and then berate GM for not providing warranty service for a powertrain that is different from the one they designed.

It's really simple, if warranty is important, don't change the car.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 12:34 PM   #24
Viczl1

Drives: 2019 ZL1
I personally think it's a load of crap. I don't see how it was voided nor do I think it's his fault. GM is not loyal at all to there enthusiasts and it's all about the money. Any chance they can get to not doing repair work they will. Kind of makes me sick. I can see if a problem arose from the use of a catch can and not warranty that. But the entire powertrain? Seriously??
As far as a court case I doubt it. He like myself work 2 jobs to support our families and don't have the time and money for court.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:29 PM   #25
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
I think MrChris gave a reasonable explanation and suggestion. Take the stuff off, make it back 100% stock, then take it back and pay for the repair. If the repair is something that could not have been caused by the catch can it might be time to present his side to the service manager. He should have a clear unbiased head when he gets the bill. If something he did e.g. caused a vacuum leak and they fixed it that shouldn't be on them. As it sits stock again might also be a good time to re-address the warranty after repairs have been made.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 04:57 PM   #26
Viczl1

Drives: 2019 ZL1
The cold stumble was from day 1. It seems to be a problem on a direct injection engine. Once it warms up it's fine. I told him to take it off and go to another dealer. Possibly they didn't void anything.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:52 PM   #27
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
Remove aftermarket catch can and proceed to a new more reasonable dealer. The service advisor or tech is obviously a moron and against any modifications no matter how seemingly insignificant. Most likely the dealer has had problems with other modded cars causing headaches and their intolerance to ANY changes. Find a gear head service advisor at another dealer and this will be resolved without a hitch.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:15 PM   #28
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viczl1 View Post
The cold stumble was from day 1. It seems to be a problem on a direct injection engine. Once it warms up it's fine. I told him to take it off and go to another dealer. Possibly they didn't void anything.
If the cold start problem was from day 1, he should have had it back for service on the morning of day 2, which would have prevented this negative experience...As the other members have stated he really has only 1 option left, which is to remove the catch can and take the car to another dealer and hope that the car has not been flagged...I hope he can get it worked out in his favor but it's a coin flip now...I'm on aftermarket warranty now and it's my position that everything that's modded was on the car when I bought it, so I'm going to need you guys to honor the warranty!!!

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote