Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 05-04-2012, 09:11 PM   #1
Buck Heard

Drives: 2012 Victory Red 1SS/RS
Engine oil low - Add oil warning...

Today on my 2012 SS with 1200 miles I get in the car after picking up some stuff at Walmart. I crank the car and immediately get this message on the DIC saying "engine oil low - add oil". It was about 5:30pm and the closest dealer had already closed for the day. I checked the oil and the dipstick said I was only a pint low. It was at the middle dot in the crosshatched area. I called onstar to see if anything was showing up out of the ordinary and they said the car should be safe to drive but should have a dealer look at it. They also asked me few other questions like did the car give me any other warnings (which I responded with no) and if I noticed any puddles of oil (no again). Also any weird sounds. (nothing again). Again they said I should see a dealer about the car possibly needing an early oil change. I was like at 1200 miles??? Anyway I decided to stop off at Advanced Auto and get some Mobil 1 5w-30 and adding some to the engine to get the warning message to go away. So I did that and the dang message will not go away. I called onstar again and they had me try the reset method of turning the key to the on position and tapping the accellerator 3 times in 5 seconds but that failed to remove the message. I have checked the oil like 10 times since I got home and it shows full but the message remains. My plan is to do what onstar recommended and take it first thing at 7am to the dealer and get my first albeit premature oil change. Anyone have any advise or experience with this problem?
Buck Heard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
acowherd

Drives: 2010 2ss/RS 4l80. 2009 2500 HD
Could just disconnect the battery. Wait 10-15 min, then hook it back up. Start car, and go for a drive. If it goes away good. If not, gonna have to take it in. Most likely just a bad sensor. If it went away, just keep an eye on the oil level for a few. If it does it again, you might have bigger issues!!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/FNSS-...75028626000379

FNSS Racing!
acowherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:29 PM   #3
Buck Heard

Took it by the dealer first thing this morning. Had oil changed and mechanic showed me the oil sensor(that was giving me the low oil warning)on the oil pan. I asked him to remove the connector and reseat it just to be sure. Cranked it and the warning was gone. Let's hope it stays that way. Thanks.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:26 AM   #4
davidcroft
Sellin Chevy's since '06

Drives: 18ZL1 02Z-28
glad to hear it was your oil level sensor and your 1200 mile 2012 is in good health!
SOLD! '18 ZL1 Mosiac Blk
SOLD!'16 SS Sedan-Forgestars/ARH/rotofab
TRADED!2014 SS Sedan
SOLD! 2013 Blue Ray1SS/1LE 1of20.
TRADED! 2012 White 1SS/RS
davidcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:25 PM   #5
Buck Heard

Well just when i thought all was good I got in it this morning to get my wife a Sunday paper and low and behold the message was back. Looks like I'll be back at the dealer first thing tomorrow morning to have that sensor replaced. I'm beginning to miss my vw gli. Thanks for your posts though guys.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:39 AM   #6
Buck Heard

Well they had to order the sensor. Will be in late today. Scheduled doctor's appointment for the car is first thing tomorrow morning. Funny thing is the dang warning message didn't come on this morning when I cold cranked it. I think I'm chasing ghosts. Good news is that I finally finshed my break in period. 1501 miles on the odometer whn I parked the car at work this morning. A little good news.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:45 PM   #7
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Congrats on your Camaro being broken in! I would just like to know if everything is now okay with your Camaro? Please let us know! We would love your feedback.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:45 PM   #8
Buck Heard

Hi Brandon,

All is well now. New sensor seemed to solve my problem. Thanks for the follow up. GM/Onstar followed up with me during and after the repair as well and sent me a nice coupon to use for my troubles. I'm happy with how I was treated.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:36 AM   #9
dragon22

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SIM
I have this message appearing in my DIC as well. The oil level is fine and the oil pressure is good. Took it into the dealer today and they had to order the sensor and the connector. Both are badly corroded so they are replacing both. They tried to clean the corrosion out, but to no avail. Hopefully get parts by the end of the week.
dragon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:30 AM   #10
mlafevre

Drives: Black/Black 2SS w/ 1LE, Recaro seat
I had this issue on my 2015 LS3 just a few weeks ago. It did not appear until the dealership changed the oil on its first oil change. My oil level was fine and the pressure was normal. I took it back to the dealer, but they could not duplicate the message on the DIC. I asked if they checked the sensors and they said they did. They told me to bring it back in when the message reappears. With only 6k on the motor, this should not be happening. Living in NC and the car being a 1LE, I do not get to drive too much in the colder temps for this message to reappear.
mlafevre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:56 AM   #11
MosesBarkley

Drives: 2014 Camaro RS/2SS 1LE
Took 4 years, a cam swap, & first oil change at dealership after cam swap for me to get the dreaded "low oil level / add engine oil" warning on the DIC.

I'm going to order a new sensor & have the dealership install it during my next oil change... that's if they don't want to charge something outrageous to install it. If so, I'll just do the next oil change myself.

Anyone know the part #?
MosesBarkley is offline   Reply With Quote