Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 09-09-2010, 12:12 AM   #1275
meanmike
Account Suspended

Drives: FIRST ON RACE DAY
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc8411 View Post
Wow that first video was real clear. You couldnt even tell who won or by how far. The second 2 were complete jokes LOL. I hope you dont expect a mustang to pull like that on a camaro every time like the 3rd video shows. The driver looked like he was 13.
I thought the same thing about the first video until I seen the Mustangs sign lit before the Camaros did wich I assume indicated a win for the Stang.
meanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:41 AM   #1276
x626xBlack
ARMY of one.

Drives: 2011 Black SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
Dude, the only differences between a 10 and 11 Camaro are colors and hving HUD on 2LTs and 2 SSes, NOTHING that would affect this review.
With all due respect.. Or probably none at all. Your an idiot. Where did I mention anything about an incorrect year model of the Camaro? He stated a 2010 Mustang GT. It was a 2011 Mustang GT.

Difference?
2010 Mustang GT: 4.6-liter V8 with 315 hp and 325 lb-ft of torque.

2011 Mustang GT: 5.0-liter V8 with 412 hp and 390 lb-ft of torque.

His entire post is misleading if you read the title. Comparing a 2010 Camaro SS to a 2010 Mustang GT would have led to the Mustang being blown off the face of the earth in regards to performance. Here is the title for you since you can not read "2010 SS Camaro vs 2010 5.0 Mustang GT".

Your reply is like Forum Drone.
x626xBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:42 AM   #1277
GMRULZ

Drives: 2010 SS & 2008 C6
[QUOTE=RichieFlorida;2306320This nail in the coffin.

Drone-Drone & Drone. I am shocked that when driving around the town the amount of noise(drone if I may) that the Chevy displays inside the cabin. I would say it is 3 times worse then any Gen III Viper. Plus the Camaro’s comes from the front which makes it worse. This kills the music that this muscular V8 emits. You would think those heavy cast iron manifolds chevy uses would keep it quiet. The Ford is all about refinement. Give the car a little more gas and you hear all engine and no drone. The conversation go unaffected by partial throttle where it is interrupted in the Camaro. The Ford also has tubular headers vs the Chevys cast iron GMC crap. After jumping in and out of each car the Ford’s drive train is several rungs up the ladder better the Chevy.[/QUOTE]

You do realize ford added a pipe that goes from the intake to inside of the cabin so you Could hear the engine noise better.. As far as drone, I did not notice that when mine was stock. I would agree that Fords new drivetrain is slightly better stock for stock than the current GM, but it is a brand new motor, where as the LS motors have been around since 1997, however the difference is minimal in my opinion. The cars are so close in my opinion it comes down to personal taste. Also I see you were driving the L99 w/ AFM, its is very unresponsive until you get the car tuned. Its a whole nother animal w/ a tune. Thats really all the car needs and you won`t beleive the difference. W/ the torque management removed, AFM disabled and firmer shifts it screams. GM is just more conservative w/ their tunes, I would assume its to save from having more warranty work. Plus NA you can make more power w/ a cam than the 5.0 can w/ cams, displacement diff 6.2 vs 5.0. You can run more boost since the GM has a lower compression ratio. So they both have their benifits. The Ford benifits also from being lighter which to me is a huge plus.

The final decsion for me was styling, I think the Camaro blows the Mustang out of the water in this dept. Plus there are how many Stangs on the road since 2005 w/ that very similar body style? I see them everywhere...Not so w/ Camaro and Challenger. So in the end its up to you and what fits you the best, I personally think performance wise the cars are almost too close to call, w/ a slight edge given to the stang.
2010 SS L99, 536rwhp 10.843@126.72. Whipple Supercharger stock pulley, ARH 1 7/8 longtubes w/ catted xpipe, magnaflow 3" mufflers, ADM Race CAI, 3:70 gears, lightweight wheels and nitto drag radials. Stock internal L99, stock converter.

Bolt on best before blower 12.22@113.29 w/ nothing but ARH headers, catted x-pipe, ADM CAI and a tune on stock Pzero`s!

Other car 2008 C6 Ls3, z51, A6, Npp Exhaust, best bonestock pass 11.80@118.82, Number 2 on the Corvette Forums Bonestock fastest list..
GMRULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:53 AM   #1278
GMRULZ

Drives: 2010 SS & 2008 C6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbt View Post
Here is one for you:

Just takes a simple search.
The driver of that SS was a dumb@ss. He backs up into the water box gets his tires real wet then rolls forward and does a 1/2 second burnout... Yeah that really heated the tires.. and now he drags water to the starting line. Not only screwing his run but those after him as well. I hate stupid people like that. I`ve been behind a few too many times to count at the track. I just want to get out of the car walk up to their window at the line, knock on it, he rolls it down, I smack him on the back of the head and say" thanks for ruining my run azzhole". I`ve had time to think about this...
2010 SS L99, 536rwhp 10.843@126.72. Whipple Supercharger stock pulley, ARH 1 7/8 longtubes w/ catted xpipe, magnaflow 3" mufflers, ADM Race CAI, 3:70 gears, lightweight wheels and nitto drag radials. Stock internal L99, stock converter.

Bolt on best before blower 12.22@113.29 w/ nothing but ARH headers, catted x-pipe, ADM CAI and a tune on stock Pzero`s!

Other car 2008 C6 Ls3, z51, A6, Npp Exhaust, best bonestock pass 11.80@118.82, Number 2 on the Corvette Forums Bonestock fastest list..
GMRULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:25 AM   #1279
wbt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanmike View Post
I thought the same thing about the first video until I seen the Mustangs sign lit before the Camaros did wich I assume indicated a win for the Stang.
He is in denial however....blinded by the light.
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:40 AM   #1280
REEFBLUE93
Account Suspended

Drives: 1993 Rustang
[QUOTE=Gangster;2310412]
Quote:
Originally Posted by REEFBLUE93 View Post

Theres always one in the bunch that cant read. You just made my point, I said loaded it was 5 grand more, you said they were 15-20 depending how they were optioned, i said a loaded mustang was 14 and a stripper was 10. therefore you proved my point, 5k difference. How old were you in 86? me and my buddy bought both cars loaded brand new so I am well aware of the prices. I also priced both before choosing the camaro and to me for the same money I chose the camaro. I have had plenty of mustangs and loved them all, I currently have a mustang I race and a few camaros. To me if you are interested in the whole package and not just the e.t. for the same money the camaro was the better way to go. I wanted to own a piece of history, not a 7th year improvement of the s197. already had a s197 all done up, no thanks.

im not a mustang hater but this car cost me 5000 less than they want now, having a 5.0 isnt worth 5k to me.
I misread your original post, I thought you were comparing a Mustang to an Iroc of that year. You're one of those that just tosses grammar and punctuation out the window with your posts and expects everyone else to decipher what you're trying to convey. You're correct, the stripped down base LX's have been replaced by the V6 model Stangs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangster View Post
my mustang will and it doesnt have a super charger....oh yea I cheated and put a chevy motor in.
I also drive my 93 Mustang to work 4 days per week. It has a/c and cruise control as well. I could've easily gone the opposite route and stuffed a stroked out SBF into my car but I prefer the method I've chosen. Do you daily drive your Chevy powered Mustang? One of our Mustang club sponsors, who is also my mechanic, has a friend that runs a Chevy powered Fox at the track. He's running high 9's with his set up. I think that's awesome, whatever works for you.

Last edited by REEFBLUE93; 09-09-2010 at 08:52 AM.
REEFBLUE93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:56 AM   #1281
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by x626xBlack View Post
With all due respect.. Or probably none at all. Your an idiot. Where did I mention anything about an incorrect year model of the Camaro? He stated a 2010 Mustang GT. It was a 2011 Mustang GT.

Difference?
2010 Mustang GT: 4.6-liter V8 with 315 hp and 325 lb-ft of torque.

2011 Mustang GT: 5.0-liter V8 with 412 hp and 390 lb-ft of torque.

His entire post is misleading if you read the title. Comparing a 2010 Camaro SS to a 2010 Mustang GT would have led to the Mustang being blown off the face of the earth in regards to performance. Here is the title for you since you can not read "2010 SS Camaro vs 2010 5.0 Mustang GT".

Your reply is like Forum Drone.
Let me quote your post
Quote:
No he was not honest. He compared a 2011 Mustang to a 2010 Camaro. Why do you think there was no picture...?
If you meant something different, great, but this sounds like you arecomplaining because the Camaro was a 10 model and the Mustang an 11 model. Also, since he put 5.0 in the post, it was easy to figure out he was actually referring to an 11 GT.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:59 AM   #1282
dmiller66
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: '13 2SS/RS, Blue Ray Metallic, Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by xLoGiK1 View Post
Camaro > Mustang in the looks department.

enough said.
Absolutely. Chicks LOVE the Camaro, and after all, that's what it's all about.
dmiller66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:03 AM   #1283
ViperTomcat
Banned

Drives: 2011 Avenger Heat
Quote:
Unless they were doing bracket shootouts with dial in adjustments..you are correct.

In a straight heads up race..first to trip the boards is the winner.
ViperTomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:10 AM   #1284
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by brycerichert View Post
I took my 5.0 to the track last week for the first time 100% stock (and 100% loaded btw at a tick under 40k) Did I feel the glass roof and leather seats slowing me down? who knows...... By the second session it was at the limits of what the PZeros could handle. If anyone is familiar with the NW's Pacific Raceways in Auburn Washington, it's a 2.3 mile technical elevation changing course. By the end of the second session I was easily keeping up with the 911's and e92 M3's. Is the handling as good as my VF sc'd bimmer? no.. but damn, out of the box, all I'm going to have to do is change a little of the dampering on this for 5A and 5B for it to be a serious track rat.

the rear live rear axle actually had me scared before I got there... after the first session all the fear was gone.. it just felt right, not like the IRS of my bimmer, but it wasn't kicking out at all like I thought it would based on horror stories from the 80's and 90's. Turn in is great and right on the edge of the apex is has just enough understeer that I can use the throttle to steer it to track out and just gun it... the LSD just keeps it planted all the way out of the corner and the track sport mode was great... allowed for about 15% back out.

the brakes?? it could use more for serious tracking. I felt a little tremble in them digging in really deep down the back hill into 3A.. that is about a 110 mph to 30 mph stop... 2a is 140-5 mph down to 60, depending how deep you want to do.

I'd love to have an SS guy come out to one of our track days and skip back and forth with the guy and have some fun. Next up are R comounds and real pads... but then I'm certai I'll need bigger brakes.

I haven't "raced" an SS on the road yet, so have no idea how it would do.. sounds like it would be a drivers race. I love the black and red ones.. the yellow ones are a little too cartoonish for me, but hey, to each their own.

Do the SS guys have track days like BMW and some of the stang groups?

Edit: here's a link of the only footage at the track my camera retained.. it went on the fritz.. I let a Porsche go by me and I played with him for a few laps but the *(&)(* camera turned off...

Cool vid!!

Quote:
That's what I thought, maybe a .1, maybe .2 for the Mustang? And it sure seemed like a couple of auto cars too, although I'm not for sure.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:21 AM   #1285
RichieFlorida

Drives: 69 SS Camaro Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMRULZ View Post
You do realize ford added a pipe that goes from the intake to inside of the cabin so you Could hear the engine noise better.. As far as drone, I did not notice that when mine was stock. I would agree that Fords new drivetrain is slightly better stock for stock than the current GM, but it is a brand new motor, where as the LS motors have been around since 1997, however the difference is minimal in my opinion. The cars are so close in my opinion it comes down to personal taste. Also I see you were driving the L99 w/ AFM, its is very unresponsive until you get the car tuned. Its a whole nother animal w/ a tune. Thats really all the car needs and you won`t beleive the difference. W/ the torque management removed, AFM disabled and firmer shifts it screams. GM is just more conservative w/ their tunes, I would assume its to save from having more warranty work. Plus NA you can make more power w/ a cam than the 5.0 can w/ cams, displacement diff 6.2 vs 5.0. You can run more boost since the GM has a lower compression ratio. So they both have their benifits. The Ford benifits also from being lighter which to me is a huge plus.

The final decsion for me was styling, I think the Camaro blows the Mustang out of the water in this dept. Plus there are how many Stangs on the road since 2005 w/ that very similar body style? I see them everywhere...Not so w/ Camaro and Challenger. So in the end its up to you and what fits you the best, I personally think performance wise the cars are almost too close to call, w/ a slight edge given to the stang.

Excellent post. I do not know much about Ford's. We have a large GM dealership and the Stang was borrowed from my buddy who has a Ford dealership. I called him earlier and he chuckled and said of course it was a 2011 GT. GM cars I drive daily and know them well. I just wanted to compare and see what the big deal is with the new GT and I came away impressed. I would love to drive a modded NA Camaro to see the difference.

In 06 when the ZO6 first came out I didn't think Chevy could ever build a better powerplant until I drove the ZR1. This car makes the ZO6 look dated. This motor is now being used in a detuned form on the Cadillac. Another great choice for the Camaro.

2012 model year should be very interesting.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:47 PM   #1286
427Carl
427CARL

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6speed
Send a message via Yahoo to 427Carl
Interesting comparison I have just traded, a 2010 White Mustang GT Prem Convertible (BlackTop) for a Inferno orange 2SS/RS!! and I loved the Mustang! High tech, well appointed muscle car.. BUT it did not turn heads! I am 61 and still want visual "pop" Looks like my 11th Camaro will do it Both cars well done Carl
Old 09-11-2010, 09:51 PM   #1287
427Carl
427CARL

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6speed
Send a message via Yahoo to 427Carl
Visual

Here "my cars" last week, as I was shopping.... see the difference in visual wow or pop?
Attached Images

Old 09-12-2010, 12:20 AM   #1288
96z
Youngest z28 owner.

Drives: 1996 Camaro z28
My 96z vs 2010 v6 mustang and 2005 mustang gt.

All cars are stock. I pretty sure I can beat the 2010, but what about the gt?
This is on the drag, of course..5
96z is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro, camaro vs mustang, cobra, faster, mods, mustang, race