Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-06-2019, 02:40 PM   #43
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
So in the most simplistic terms, the bolt is big enough to withstand a second use, but don't push your luck and use new ones?
Thank you for such an informative explanation, I truly have a much better understanding of WHY not to use the TTY bolts a second time, even though I never have!

Last year I installed a new set of powder coated calipers with all new TTY bolts. Couple friends told me I was nuts to spend the money for the 8 bolts seeing the ones that were on the car were there less than 3 months. Bolts are less expensive than a new car.

I will add a comparison picture though its difficult to see the difference in the picture!

Next time I change a caliper I will try and torque one of the used bolts a second time, just for measurements sake!

Larry
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2019, 11:57 AM   #44
Sunburninaz

Drives: 2011 RS Convertible
I've changed a lot of brakes in my time but, for whatever reason, before I started to do the brakes on my daughter's 2011 (V-6), I thought I'd check out a video or two just to see if there was anything to keep an eye out for. First video up refers to the one time use bolts. Now I've read all the discussions and have decided that, especially since it's my daughter's car, I'm going to go ahead and replace the bolts.

Here's my question though:

All the discussions seem to refer to the caliper bolts themselves and talk about replacing (or not) all 8 of them - 2 per wheel. I'm assuming these discussions regard the bolt securing the caliper to the bracket via the caliper pins. One of the videos I ended up watching indicated that not only the caliper bolts needed to be replaced, but also the caliper bracket bolts. I've seen no one talk about replacing these too? If these are, in fact, also TTY bolts, should they not also be replaced?
Sunburninaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 05:21 PM   #45
SummitWhite11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
I have never replaced my caliper bolts in all my life of owning vehicles and have not had any issues. Nor do I use loctite. I have reused them and get them to the point where they are torqued per specs. No issues. If I see they look worn whatsoever - then I would replace them - but have yet to see that.

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:33 AM   #46
Marty Z

Drives: 2015 Bright Yellow 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunburninaz View Post
I've changed a lot of brakes in my time but, for whatever reason, before I started to do the brakes on my daughter's 2011 (V-6), I thought I'd check out a video or two just to see if there was anything to keep an eye out for. First video up refers to the one time use bolts. Now I've read all the discussions and have decided that, especially since it's my daughter's car, I'm going to go ahead and replace the bolts.

Here's my question though:

All the discussions seem to refer to the caliper bolts themselves and talk about replacing (or not) all 8 of them - 2 per wheel. I'm assuming these discussions regard the bolt securing the caliper to the bracket via the caliper pins. One of the videos I ended up watching indicated that not only the caliper bolts needed to be replaced, but also the caliper bracket bolts. I've seen no one talk about replacing these too? If these are, in fact, also TTY bolts, should they not also be replaced?
Everyone on this thread is referring to the caliper bracket bolts for the Brembo Calipers. If you have the 1LS or 2LS, with the single piston floating caliper then that translates to the caliper bracket bolts. The Brembos screw directly onto the knuckle, like the caliper bracket on the V6. So yes, on the V6 with the single piston floating caliper, it is the caliper bracket bolts. The caliper bolts themselves for the floating caliper I replaced with aftermarket, non-TTY bolts, so those will get re-used.
Marty Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:48 AM   #47
Bertha II

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitWhite11 View Post
I have never replaced my caliper bolts in all my life of owning vehicles and have not had any issues. Nor do I use loctite. I have reused them and get them to the point where they are torqued per specs. No issues. If I see they look worn whatsoever - then I would replace them - but have yet to see that.
I was exactly just like SummitWhite11 in regards to never replacing nor using Loctite when installing my caliper bracket bolts - at least until yesterday came along..... I have changed out my pads/rotors on my 2010 SS at least 15-18 times through the years as I occasionally track my car and have a different brake set up for those events, and then return my car to stock afterward. After taking a cruise through The Dragon yesterday, I felt a distinct ‘grinding’ noise in my brakes and then found the top bracket bolt had left the car and took up residence in some unknown place alongside the roadway. And yep, that bolt had been torqued to 30 lbs plus 90 degrees, but it came loose anyway. Then we found that a replacement bolt couldn’t be found in the Robbinsville/Bryson City area, especially on New Years Day, and the vehicle had to be towed home.

So......I’m off to the Chevy dealer to get some 11570788 & 11515781 bolts (including extras) so this doesn’t happen again. Don’t let this happen to you - I never thought it would happen to me - at least until yesterday!
TSP Stage 3 Cam, BBK SS/Ceramic Headers, Solo Cats, Borla Exhaust/Deletes, K&N CAI, Lethal Performance Tune, Carbotech Brakes, Phastek Braided Brake Lines, Brake Ducts, BMR/Eibach Springs, Hotchkis Sway Bars & End Links, BMR Chassis Connectors, Vorshlag Camber Plates, 1LE 3.91 Gear, Hurst Shifter, 2017 ZL1 Wheels, ZL1 Grille and Ground Effects, SLP Splitter, MPD1 Spoiler, Oracle Interior Lighting, Gen5DIY Headlight/Halo/DRL System
Bertha II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 09:34 AM   #48
wernergmhtp

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS/RS A6
I always replace with new bolts! But this time, I ordered what I thought were a correct set of GM caliper bolts from RockAuto. What was sent were actually Dorman equivalents.

They still have a 10.9 stamped on top but I have no idea whether they're the correct TTY design or whatnot. Has anyone used non-GM replacement bolts on calipers?
wernergmhtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 01:43 PM   #49
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
I used the Dorman when I upgraded to the CTSV calipers.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 08:41 PM   #50
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss_No competition View Post
i had to bump up this with a simple question.
Why no Loctite on the Rear bolts?

i have just got these bolts from GM shipped to sweden so these where not cheap in the end
i also got the front bolts with RED Loctite on but the rear bolts has nothing.
To be safe should i add Loctite to the rear bolts also?
or is there a reason that they dont have any?
i can only think of one reason for this and it would be that you have much more pressure on the front brakes compared to the rear brakes.
There's less heat generation at the rear, so less expansion/contraction. Add Loctite if you wish, no harm in that.
Old 03-16-2023, 10:18 PM   #51
Leo72793

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
I went with the bolts from screaming chicken (im sure i couldve paid less local) and they are non TTY bolts. Ill use a bit of loctite and torque to spec without the degree.
•Speed Engineering Longtube Headers w/ Magnaflow HF Cats
•Bo White PnP Stage 2 TB
•GPI SS2 VVT Cam w Cometic thin gaskets 10.69 compression
•Xpipe w/ Res Delete and NPP Exhaust
•Tuned By Anonymous Calibrations
•Gen5DIY Mylink Conversion W/ Backup Cam
•Morel 3 way custom speakers, Infinity 860w Subwoofers in trunk baffle
•Helix P6 6ch amp w/ 8ch DSP and P1 Sub amp
Leo72793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 05:55 AM   #52
bsn

Drives: 2013 ZL1
One benefit to Loctite that is often overlooked is that in addition to preventing the bolt from loosening it also seals the threads to keep out corrosion ultimately making future removal easier. To me its like Franks hot sauce "I put that sh__ on everything".
bsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 09:45 AM   #53
larry_g

Drives: 2014 1SS/1LE
Loctite doesn't dry in the air, you'll be waiting a long time. It's an anaerobic fluid meaning the lack of air is what makes it solidify once the bolt is tight. That's your science lesson for the day.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
830 WHP 700 WTQ, Whipple 2.9 @ 13lbs Boost, Flex Fuel Tune by Blevins Tuning, LSA SBE, 3.5 GripTec, ATI LS3 Damper, AFR 260cc Mongoose, ARP Studs, Yella Terra Ultralites, Johnson 2110R, BTR PDS Stage 3, Melling 10355, Improved Racing Baffle, ID1050X, DSX Triple Fuel Pump, RotoFab CAI, NW 103mm TB, Stainless Works 1-7/8" LTH to 3" Speed Eng w/ X-pipe to NPP, Powermaster 9509 XS, Detroit Speed Motor Mounts, MGW, Monster LT1-S, ZL1 Calipers, DBA Rotors & Pads, Bilstein B6 Struts & Shocks, BMR 1.25" Drop Springs & Adj Rear Bar, Pegasus Solid Bushings, Z/28 Wheels, other misc parts.
larry_g is offline   Reply With Quote