Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-08-2011, 07:46 PM   #57
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratt View Post
CAI insulates the inside of their box and it makes a BIG difference. They both use coated aluminum tubes that get hot when you drive them. I just put pipe insulation on the outside of my coated aluminum tube and could tell a difference when I was driving home. I will pull the tube off and take a temp reading tonight when I get to work and post it.

The insulation CAI uses on the inside of their box keeps all the heat from the engine compartment from coming through. I haven’t taken a temp reading but you can put your hand on it and it feels cool after driving for an hour.
Until it starts falling off and the plastic cover gets old and not clear anymore. Other than that it's a great unit...
Old 11-08-2011, 08:54 PM   #58
Ratt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Until it starts falling off and the plastic cover gets old and not clear anymore. Other than that it's a great unit...

I would say it’s time for a new one by then. Hopefully by that time we can get some type of high tech cooling insulation. Wouldn’t that be nice? I’m not really into the window for it or against it, I would rather have a cup holder for when I’m working under the hood.

The insulation they use on the inside of the box looks pretty strong to me. It has a bubble wrap back and air makes the best insulator, I think that’s why the air going in stays cold. I would not want an aluminum box without it. I don’t have much faith in the coatings they put on metals. After seeing it on my CAI I’m glad I didn’t pay extra to have it on my headers.
Ratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:01 PM   #59
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
I would say it’s time for a new one by then. Hopefully by that time we can get some type of high tech cooling insulation. Wouldn’t that be nice? I’m not really into the window for it or against it, I would rather have a cup holder for when I’m working under the hood.

The insulation they use on the inside of the box looks pretty strong to me. It has a bubble wrap back and air makes the best insulator, I think that’s why the air going in stays cold. I would not want an aluminum box without it. I don’t have much faith in the coatings they put on metals. After seeing it on my CAI I’m glad I didn’t pay extra to have it on my headers.
Or you could just get the ADM that looks so much better under the hood... and was also at the top of the JRE list
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2011, 09:01 PM   #60
Ratt
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchargemyride View Post
Thanks for the feedback. The only negative that I had heard on the CAI piece is the filter is not the best. I heard it was a overseas filter not a K&N or Airraid filter. I think that might be true on the ADM as well. A high qulity filter is very important to me. I do drive my car a 1/2 mile in and out of gravel roads. It sucks.

I bought an AFE Inverted Top filter to replace the CAI filter. You cant beat the Inverted Top design. The customer service at AFE sucks so prepare yourself if you buy one from them.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:09 PM   #61
Ratt
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Or you could just get the ADM that looks so much better under the hood... and was also at the top of the JRE list

Is the ADM box insulated? I do like the way the top of the ADM box is screwed on. The half screws of the CAI are not built to last.

Is the 90 degree elbow out of the throttle body and the piece going into the box carbon fiber? The center section I take it is aluminum?

I don’t see a cup holder? I guess you can’t have everything.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:11 PM   #62
510SS

Drives: 2010 1SS Silver Ice Metallic
I just ordered my CAI
510SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:31 PM   #63
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Is the ADM box insulated? I do like the way the top of the ADM box is screwed on. The half screws of the CAI are not built to last.

Is the 90 degree elbow out of the throttle body and the piece going into the box carbon fiber? The center section I take it is aluminum?

The elbow is a thick rubber material... the filters is also a good one... LMR uses the same filter on theirs. It's not insulated but the box is air tight and fits very tightly in place. The MAF is also located inside the box..

Mine came w/ 2 tops so I could keep my washer bottle if I wanted to...
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2011, 06:58 AM   #64
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
Quote:
Is there any major difrence between the ADM and CAI intake? Matareial, cost, Filter, our both tubes heat coated on the inside etc?

Thanks, Greg
Major engineering difference!
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:09 AM   #65
aj2ssrs

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:

The ADM box isn't insulated. I insulated mine pretty much the same way the CAI intake is insulated and saw no change at all in the IAT's. The box without insulation does a very good job of keeping the air temp in check.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:13 PM   #66
superchargemyride

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS 6M
What is the advantage or disadvantage of having the MAF inside the box on the ADM? Are they the only ones that put the MAF inside the box?

Order Date 5/27/11-Invoice Date 6/30/2011- Delivered to Dealer 7/20/2011- I Purchased 10/14/2011
superchargemyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:32 PM   #67
aj2ssrs

Quote:
What is the advantage or disadvantage of having the MAF inside the box on the ADM? Are they the only ones that put the MAF inside the box?
As far as I know they are the only one. I imagine they put the MAF sensor in the box to keep it in a cool environment away from the heat of the engine and radiator. This location is also at the beginning of the intake tube so I guess this keeps the sensor from reading higher temps from the intake air being heated by the tube.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:24 PM   #68
Ratt
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj2ssrs View Post
The ADM box isn't insulated. I insulated mine pretty much the same way the CAI intake is insulated and saw no change at all in the IAT's. The box without insulation does a very good job of keeping the air temp in check.

Try insulating the tube from the throttle body to the box. I insulated mine and I can’t believe the difference it’s made. I used Armaflex pipe insulation if you have someone in your area who handles it, tell them you need a long 90 degree elbow with 2’ of straight. Cut off the extra after you stretch it over the tube.

The OEM plastic tube isn’t as good at keeping temps down as these tubes are insulated.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:25 PM   #69
aj2ssrs

Quote:
Try insulating the tube from the throttle body to the box. I insulated mine and I can’t believe the difference it’s made. I used Armaflex pipe insulation if you have someone in your area who handles it, tell them you need a long 90 degree elbow with 2’ of straight. Cut off the extra after you stretch it over the tube.

The OEM plastic tube isn’t as good at keeping temps down as these tubes are insulated.
Thanks for the tip. Was actually trying to figure out a way to wrap the tube with the same insulation I used inside the box but figured it would look like crap. I'll check out the Armaflex.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:22 PM   #70
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
Quote:
Our Filters are not made in China or anywere overseas.They are made by S&B FILTER to Lingenfelters Performance Engineering specs.

We put the maf in the box to eliminate heat soak data sent to the computer thus allowing more power on a stock car.
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote