Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 01-24-2009, 11:07 AM   #15
liquidfire350

Drives: 2010 Black SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeTwentyFour View Post
Well a turbo does have more potential when it comes down to it. There is a great tv show on the subject where they were talking to Gale Banks. Here is the link There are 2 parts, the second part is on the right side. I found this very helpful and suggest watching it. What I took from it is that a supercharger is good while a turbo is great, there is more potential with a turbo, but for street cars I don't think it will get to the point where a good blower will be maxed out, so it's a personal choice.
it only has more potential because its exhaust driven apposed to belt driven, so theres no parasitic loss from using it. the more boost you make in a blower makes it harder to turn, making the engine have to work harder just to turn the blower. high boost in a turbo just makes more lag, which is why people run twin turbos, if you want say 12psi, you just run 6psi from each and then only have the lag associated with 6psi

but ive never seen a car thats maxed out a blower, they just start getting belt slippage, which then all you need is a wider cog belt
liquidfire350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:57 PM   #16
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
Also alot of people kill their turbos by not letting the car run at idle for about 1 minute before shuting of the engine. You have to remember to do that or you will ware it out.
Urban myth. If that were true then factory cars would come standard with turbo timers. Yet there are Saabs and Volvos that have been turbo for 20 yeas and still run fine. Now if you just went balls-to-the-wall long enough to get your EGTs way up there, then yeah you want to let it cool, but as long as you didn't shut it off immediately after a run there's nothing to worry about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidfire350 View Post
it sounds like a sneeze to me
There are tons of aftermarket valves and they all sound unique.
Quote:
...high boost in a turbo just makes more lag, which is why people run twin turbos, if you want say 12psi, you just run 6psi from each and then only have the lag associated with 6psi
Nope. More boost does not mean more lag. If the turbo makes 12 PSI at 1800 RPM, it will make that no matter how much you are going to boost. There is a happy medium that can easily be attained by a streeted machine that would offer next to no lag and plenty of power. If you slap a T78 on a Honda...yeah that little squirt isn't going to makt boost quickly...it makes no sense. But throw a T76 or twin T60s on a V-8 and you will have very usable power immediately.
Quote:
but ive never seen a car thats maxed out a blower, they just start getting belt slippage, which then all you need is a wider cog belt
It's just as easy to max a blower as a turbo. Once you get to the point that a compressor (SC or TC) can't keep pressure up because a larger engine is sucking it in faster than it can compress it, you will have maxed it out. They are equal in that respect. The difference is, once you have maxed a blower out (smallest pulley possible, etc) there's the expensive task of completely replacing it. Once you max a turbo out, all you do is unbolt it and throw a bigger one on (or just change the compressor, which saves more costs). THAT'S why turbos are considered to be more potential...and bang for your buck. There's an unlimited amount of combinations of housings/compressors/exhausts that can fine tune the response of an application.

Not attacking you, I'm just a boostaholic, and I love turbos....I dislike misinformation.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:06 PM   #17
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
I live right by Gale Banks Engineering. In fact I've met the man and he's on good terms with my father-in-law. I think I'll see what they can do with their turbos.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:36 AM   #18
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
I live right by Gale Banks Engineering. In fact I've met the man and he's on good terms with my father-in-law. I think I'll see what they can do with their turbos.
At least 1 hp improvement.

Personally, I'm going to wait for a good kit to come out before I consider anything seriously.
- Xanthos

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 01:57 AM   #19
Tal

Drives: Old
I agree, just wait and see what kits are released and then evaluate them when you are ready to buy. It's easy to want to look ahead but there's not much point to that unless you are wanting to do something custom, which is not a very practical idea for most people. Just comparing generic supercharger vs generic turbo is a debate that goes in circles, with no real purpose or end.
Tal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:50 PM   #20
ZeeTwentyFour
Does not have a Camaro

Drives: 99 silverado Z71/66 Chevelle SS
Send a message via AIM to ZeeTwentyFour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tal View Post
I agree, just wait and see what kits are released and then evaluate them when you are ready to buy. It's easy to want to look ahead but there's not much point to that unless you are wanting to do something custom, which is not a very practical idea for most people. Just comparing generic supercharger vs generic turbo is a debate that goes in circles, with no real purpose or end.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:53 PM   #21
Ject
aka Patrick

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS '04 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to Ject
Okay noob question... Pro Charger.. Isn't that the same concept as Turbo.. it takes HP to do.. ? Or is Pro Charger just a version of a super charger.. ?

Sorry don't mean to toss another thing into the mix.
<-- is a noob when it comes to Pro Chargers / Super Chargers.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:04 PM   #22
ZeeTwentyFour
Does not have a Camaro

Drives: 99 silverado Z71/66 Chevelle SS
Send a message via AIM to ZeeTwentyFour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ject View Post
Okay noob question... Pro Charger.. Or is Pro Charger just a version of a super charger.. ?
'

Thats a procharger, it kinda looks like a turbo but it's still belt driven like a supercharger.

Quote:
Isn't that the same concept as Turbo.. it takes HP to do.. ?
And you have the concept of a turbo and supercharger mixed up. A supercharger requires some ammount of horsepower to spin the pulley. A turbo works off the exhaust gas from the car, which requires much less energy to spin.

I could be wrong on this so please chime in If I'm wrong.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:53 PM   #23
Ject
aka Patrick

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS '04 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to Ject
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeTwentyFour View Post
And you have the concept of a turbo and supercharger mixed up. A supercharger requires some ammount of horsepower to spin the pulley. A turbo works off the exhaust gas from the car, which requires much less energy to spin.

I could be wrong on this so please chime in If I'm wrong.
Nah you're right, i just said the wrong thing, super charger is what i ment since its belt driven.

I just never have understood what a procharger is... Is it like a mix of the 2, super/turbo..?
Old 01-26-2009, 09:01 PM   #24
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Nah you're right, i just said the wrong thing, super charger is what i ment since its belt driven.

I just never have understood what a procharger is... Is it like a mix of the 2, super/turbo..?
procharger is a brand name.

centrifugal superchargers. basically take a turbo, remove the exhaust driven turbine side and put a belt driven gear setup on it instead.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:04 PM   #25
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
procharger is a brand name.

centrifugal superchargers. basically take a turbo, remove the exhaust driven turbine side and put a belt driven gear setup on it instead.
He's right....for once.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:09 PM   #26
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerF View Post
He's right....for once.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:23 AM   #27
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Quote:
Isn't that the same concept as Turbo.. it takes HP to do.. ?
Superchargers require an amount of power to spin the pulley, yes.

Turbochargers, however, are operated by the kinetic energy that is wasted in the exhaust flow. Basically no parasitic loss like that of the supercharger.
- Xanthos

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:56 AM   #28
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
all this talk about turbo lag...
when you've got 6 or 8 cylinders, you really lose most of the lag because you're creating more exhaust gas than a 4-banger, so it spools up at lower RPMs.
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote