Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 02-06-2013, 04:19 PM   #1
350 HRSS
GM Toyz Lover

Drives: GM Toyz
Question ABS/TC issue with 17" Bogarts and tires...fix???

Ok everyone.

I have a set of 17" Bogarts on my 2010 Camaro. The front are 17x4.0 and the rear are 17x10.

Right now I have M&H Racemaster tires on there, the front being bias ply (which I want to replace) and the rear having the drag radials, which I love.
The front tires are 28 x 4.50-17 and the rear tires are 325/45-17. On Summit, it says both have a tire diameter of 28.00"

SO, why the heck am I getting the ABS/TC/Brake lights and codes? Shouldn't they be correct? We have tried very hard to have this tuned out, and it can not be done. I don't want to damage anything driving with the ABS stuff on.

So, can I get a replacement front that will work? Like a 185 or 205??

This is a real spot I am in, and I want that bias ply tire off the front. Even if it is DOT approved, it just doesn't work well.

I have seen where others on here have had no issues with this combo, and I want to know HOW.

Looking forward to the replies.

Will it cause damage to anything if those lights are on?

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-06-2013, 04:31 PM   #2
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
I had those exact same tires on 17" Weld wheels and never had any light problems at all. Not sure why you are having such a bad problem. All I can think is maybe a damaged (or malfunctioning) wheel speed sensor or damaged sensor cable???? But you're right, the tire heights are close enough to being the same that they should NOT cause malfunction lights. And no, the lights won't cause any damage....just annoying!!!
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:36 PM   #3
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350 HRSS View Post
Ok everyone.

I have a set of 17" Bogarts on my 2010 Camaro. The front are 17x4.0 and the rear are 17x10.

Right now I have M&H Racemaster tires on there, the front being bias ply (which I want to replace) and the rear having the drag radials, which I love.
The front tires are 28 x 4.50-17 and the rear tires are 325/45-17. On Summit, it says both have a tire diameter of 28.00"

SO, why the heck am I getting the ABS/TC/Brake lights and codes? Shouldn't they be correct? We have tried very hard to have this tuned out, and it can not be done. I don't want to damage anything driving with the ABS stuff on.

So, can I get a replacement front that will work? Like a 185 or 205??

This is a real spot I am in, and I want that bias ply tire off the front. Even if it is DOT approved, it just doesn't work well.

I have seen where others on here have had no issues with this combo, and I want to know HOW.

Looking forward to the replies.

Will it cause damage to anything if those lights are on?

Thanks in advance!

Hey, I got your pm. Those tires are fine. I'm not sure why you don't think the skinny bias up front doesn't work. You must do a ton of street driving. So you can rule the tire combo out. Many of us have run that same setup. Have you checked for kinked or broken wires? Maybe something got pinched while the ebrake cable was being tied back. If it's not that you may have a bad ABS sensor. I've seen that happen. Sometimes they get messed up when someone installs the wheel on the car. A Tech 2 should pinpoint it for you.

Gd luck
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:11 PM   #4
350 HRSS
GM Toyz Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
Hey, I got your pm. Those tires are fine. I'm not sure why you don't think the skinny bias up front doesn't work. You must do a ton of street driving. So you can rule the tire combo out. Many of us have run that same setup. Have you checked for kinked or broken wires? Maybe something got pinched while the ebrake cable was being tied back. If it's not that you may have a bad ABS sensor. I've seen that happen. Sometimes they get messed up when someone installs the wheel on the car. A Tech 2 should pinpoint it for you.

Gd luck
Thanks for your replies, both of you!

I know that I can put a set of stock SS wheels and tires on the car and get no ABS/TC issues. So, I don't think there is a wire or sensor issue. Plus, if the light is on, and I turn the car off, start again after a few minutes, the lights are NOT on, and do not come on again, until I reach about 35mph or so. So wouldn't that still mean there is a height issue, or the car doesn't know what's going on? It also has 3.73's in it, but I know that shouldn't/couldn't have anything to do with it. I drove it with the stock wheels and tires on it before installing these wheels...it has been well looked at, and we have had it inspected on a lift, and nothing has been damaged.

It doesn't make sense to me either, which is why I posted, to see if I was missing something :(

We had the tech at the dealership (very good friend of mine) hook up his comp to the car, guess it's a Tech 2, and he cleared all the codes. It did show a wheel sensor code, but he was able to clear it all out, none of them reappeared after the car was off for a while-until it was driven and got up to a certain speed.

I am going out there to do a circumference check on them now.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:36 PM   #5
350 HRSS
GM Toyz Lover

I just went out there and measured those tires while the car was on the ground.

The front are standing right at 27" and the rear right at 28". But the tire on the front clearly says 17x4.5x28.0

So this must be my issue. The tires says it's a 28.0, but measures at 27".

Also, they have 27lbs of pressure in the front, and about 28 in the rear.

So now what?

Do I have some kind of freak tire? If it says the tire diameter is 28.0, why isn't it???????
Old 02-06-2013, 07:43 PM   #6
350 HRSS
GM Toyz Lover

Spoke with the tech at Summit, and they claim the reason for the 27" on the front is because the tire is a bias ply, and the rear are radials. He said the tire is a true 28.0" but since it doesn't 'sit' the same as a radial.

He could NOT find a radial tire to replace mine, the size of 17x4.

He said I needed to call Bogart and have them make a 6" wheel for the front, and then I could run a true radial on the front, a 215/65, that would make it 28" and would have no issues.

He also said I have no business driving those M&H bias ply on the street. I know what he meant by that, but this car is just a pleasure driving car, and doesn't see the road all the time. I explained to him this was NOT a daily driven car

So.

I am ready for yall's suggestions.

Do I leave it as it is and deal with the ABS lights? Or do I just give up and put stock wheels and tires on it That, IMO, ruins the car for the 'look' I am going for.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:08 PM   #7
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Spoke with the tech at Summit, and they claim the reason for the 27" on the front is because the tire is a bias ply, and the rear are radials. He said the tire is a true 28.0" but since it doesn't 'sit' the same as a radial.

He could NOT find a radial tire to replace mine, the size of 17x4.

He said I needed to call Bogart and have them make a 6" wheel for the front, and then I could run a true radial on the front, a 215/65, that would make it 28" and would have no issues.

He also said I have no business driving those M&H bias ply on the street. I know what he meant by that, but this car is just a pleasure driving car, and doesn't see the road all the time. I explained to him this was NOT a daily driven car

So.

I am ready for yall's suggestions.

Do I leave it as it is and deal with the ABS lights? Or do I just give up and put stock wheels and tires on it That, IMO, ruins the car for the 'look' I am going for.
What's the air pressure in the fronts?
Old 02-06-2013, 08:15 PM   #8
350 HRSS
GM Toyz Lover

Quote:
What's the air pressure in the fronts?
It showed right about 26-27 psi in the front and about 28 psi in the rear.

So I have a 3.7% difference in the tire height now.

Would I have any luck calling bogart and seeing if they will make two 6" wheels for my front? That way, I could get 2 radials that are 215/65 that would sit differently and be closer to the right height. Thing is, would hate to spend that money and not know for sure if that would work.

This is just not a good situation.

Would air pressure make a difference? It says max of 35 on the front and rear tires. I wondered if it would, but thought it would be minuscule.

What tire pressure are you running in your fronts?
Old 02-06-2013, 08:19 PM   #9
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
It showed right about 26-27 psi in the front and about 28 psi in the rear.

So I have a 3.7% difference in the tire height now.

Would I have any luck calling bogart and seeing if they will make two 6" wheels for my front? That way, I could get 2 radials that are 215/65 that would sit differently and be closer to the right height. Thing is, would hate to spend that money and not know for sure if that would work.

This is just not a good situation.

Would air pressure make a difference? It says max of 35 on the front and rear tires. I wondered if it would, but thought it would be minuscule.

What tire pressure are you running in your fronts?
45 psi in those tires on my car. Yes, the max is 35 but I've run 45-50 for 3 years. It's worth a try. You'll gain overall height. May trigger the light off. It won't cost anything. Rich will make water you want. Right now he's making me a one off, bullet proof drag wheel.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:31 PM   #10
350 HRSS
GM Toyz Lover

Quote:
45 psi in those tires on my car. Yes, the max is 35 but I've run 45-50 for 3 years. It's worth a try. You'll gain overall height. May trigger the light off. It won't cost anything. Rich will make water you want. Right now he's making me a one off, bullet proof drag wheel.
You mean 45 psi in the fronts only, correct? Think it would raise it a 1" or so?

Have you run on the street with that much psi in the fronts with NO problems? No dangers? Just freaks me out seeing it say max 35psi and going over 10

BUT, I trust your suggestions, and have no problem trying it. I would jump a million feet in the air with joy if it worked.

So let me know if its what you are running in just the fronts to make it even, or if you are running that amount in the rear as well
Old 02-06-2013, 09:25 PM   #11
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
You mean 45 psi in the fronts only, correct? Think it would raise it a 1" or so?

Have you run on the street with that much psi in the fronts with NO problems? No dangers? Just freaks me out seeing it say max 35psi and going over 10

BUT, I trust your suggestions, and have no problem trying it. I would jump a million feet in the air with joy if it worked.

So let me know if its what you are running in just the fronts to make it even, or if you are running that amount in the rear as well

I've run them on the streets at 45 psi.
I've run them on the highway at 45 psi.
I run them at the track going 9.81 @ 141.

In 3 years I've had no problems. Yes, just the fronts. I run 25-30 in the M & H rears. I think if you bump the fronts up it may clear your problem since with the stock set-up you get no lights.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:44 PM   #12
350 HRSS
GM Toyz Lover

Quote:
I've run them on the streets at 45 psi.
I've run them on the highway at 45 psi.
I run them at the track going 9.81 @ 141.

In 3 years I've had no problems. Yes, just the fronts. I run 25-30 in the M & H rears. I think if you bump the fronts up it may clear your problem since with the stock set-up you get no lights.
The next nice day outside, I am going to give this a shot. If it works, YOU will be the first to know, and you will hear my joyish shouts all the way from VA

I can not WAIT to try this out. I hope and pray this is the easy fix.

Thank you VERY much for taking to time reply to me, and being patient. It's people like you that keep my hope alive in modified cars
Old 02-06-2013, 09:49 PM   #13
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
The next nice day outside, I am going to give this a shot. If it works, YOU will be the first to know, and you will hear my joyish shouts all the way from VA

I can not WAIT to try this out. I hope and pray this is the easy fix.

Thank you VERY much for taking to time reply to me, and being patient. It's people like you that keep my hope alive in modified cars
No problem. Hopefully it works. I know of a guy, who has since sold his car, put over 20k miles on the setup you have. I left that front tire on my car for a year and a half and never got one light besides the tpms one.

Good luck
Old 02-06-2013, 09:52 PM   #14
350 HRSS
GM Toyz Lover

Quote:
No problem. Hopefully it works. I know of a guy, who has since sold his car, put over 20k miles on the setup you have. I left that front tire on my car for a year and a half and never got one light besides the tpms one.

Good luck
The TPM system was challenging, but we fixed it with the pipe bombs, with the sensors in them. Worked like a charm. I had Alvin with PCM of NC do the tune and make the TPM pipe bombs.

The guy that had that car for 20k miles, he was running his at 45 psi in the front as well??

Last edited by 350 HRSS; 02-07-2013 at 08:02 AM.
350 HRSS is offline   Reply With Quote