Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 10-15-2017, 07:24 PM   #1
SS Performance

Drives: 02 Camaro B4C
Looking for new tires and need some advice!

So this weekend I failed tech. My front left tire had a broken belt. These were my F1's

So I am now in search of some new tires. These are my track tires but will see LIMITED street use. I have a different set of tires and wheels I run on the street.

So these are the tires I thinking about.

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2
Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R
Nitto NT01
Toyo Proxes R888R
Proxes R888

I'm not looking at the F1's because I thing there is better out there.

My car is stock. This year I did 7 track days, next year I am going to try to make 12-14 track days.

I'm looking now as opposed to the spring because I have another track event coming up in a couple of weeks.

Thanks
Craig

1969 Camaro SS
1970 Camaro SS
2002 Camaro B4C
2014 Camaro SS Dedicated Track Car
2015 Camaro 1SS 1LE
2008 HHR SS
1996 Silverado Crew Cab Long Bed Dual Rear Wheel
SS Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:44 AM   #2
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
I've considered the RE-71R's because they are THE autocross tire this year, but after seeing a girl shred a brand new set of them on a Mini Cooper S in one autocross day (9 runs) because she was over-driving the car, I knew that I'd tear them apart in short order with my 3900 lb Zumwalt.

I've run the R888R's before on a previous track car and loved them. If I was going the dedicated tire route, I'd likely try them. Though I've never had them on a 3900 lb car before.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 01:51 PM   #3
Notilloc

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Performance View Post
So this weekend I failed tech. My front left tire had a broken belt. These were my F1's

So I am now in search of some new tires. These are my track tires but will see LIMITED street use. I have a different set of tires and wheels I run on the street.

So these are the tires I thinking about.

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2
Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R
Nitto NT01
Toyo Proxes R888R
Proxes R888

I'm not looking at the F1's because I thing there is better out there.

My car is stock. This year I did 7 track days, next year I am going to try to make 12-14 track days.

I'm looking now as opposed to the spring because I have another track event coming up in a couple of weeks.

Thanks
Craig
I can't figure out why nobody likes the Goodyears. They are fantastic on the track for a street tire and they're reasonably priced. I think they are a great track tire but a kind of crappy street tire. In my experience, autocross tires are terrible track tires. The whole point of an autocross tire is to heat up as fast as possible to get max grip as fast as possible. This works great on the street and autocross course but it leads to tires falling off after 1 or 2 hard laps on the track. The Goodyears need some heat in them to stick well and they handle heat better than most street tires. If you're only doing autocross then the Goodyear isn't a very good tire but if track days are your thing I think you'll have a hard time finding a non r comp tire that will be as good. I switched to the Goodyear supercar 3 before going to an r comp for the track and it was a great tire. The supercar 3 heats up faster than the g2 so it might not even be a bad autocross tire. Of the tires, you listed the only tire that I think would be an upgrade from the Goodyear is the Nitto but only if it's a track only tire that isn't being driven to the track because they heat cycle out pretty fast.

Last edited by Notilloc; 10-16-2017 at 02:22 PM.
Notilloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 03:29 PM   #4
SS Performance

I trailer the car to the track.

As I stated above the reason for the change is the tires are predominately for the track I don't autocross this car and it will see LIMITED street use. I have other tires for the street.

I looked into the Supercar 3's aren't made in the proper size for the 5th gen 1LE.

1969 Camaro SS
1970 Camaro SS
2002 Camaro B4C
2015 Camaro 1SS 1LE
2008 HHR SS
Old 10-16-2017, 05:45 PM   #5
Notilloc

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Performance View Post
I trailer the car to the track.

As I stated above the reason for the change is the tires are predominately for the track I don't autocross this car and it will see LIMITED street use. I have other tires for the street.

I looked into the Supercar 3's aren't made in the proper size for the 5th gen 1LE.
I brought up autocross tires because you were looking at the Bridgestone and as stated above it's all the rage on the autocross scene right now so I just assumed. The Michelin I have no experience with but it's on a lot of cars right now (Porsches) and I'm sure it's a great tire but for the money, I don't know why you wouldn't just go with an r comp and I highly doubt it's that much better than the Goodyear. Neither of the 888s have gotten good reviews with heavy cars, I had the 888 on an RX-8 and thought they were okay but I didn't love them, hard to explain but felt greasy all the time and the classic pain in the ass that r comps are known for when pushed to the limit. I don't want to mess with them with a 1000lb heavier car. The Nitto is kind of the gold standard of entry-level r comps. It's not as moody as most r comps but it still sticks quite a bit better than a street tire.

The supercar 3 comes in a 285/30/20 which is my current street tire but I used it as a street/track tire for a couple events and it was pretty good. I'd say it's definitely a pretty good chunk of why the new gen 6 1LE is quite a bit faster around a track than the gen 5. The size difference isn't that much, my speedo is off by 3 or 4 mph at 80mph and it did give me a little extra drive out of corners with the smaller diameter.

I don't know anything about your experience as a driver so it's hard to make recommendations or understand what "limited" driving on the street means because everyone is different. If I was to guess I'd say that you're still pretty new to high performance driving and I'd recommend a street tire because it's easier to learn on.

If you're seriously thinking of going to the Nitto or the Toyo just make sure that you have a track oriented alignment and lots of cooling to your brakes and race brake pads with Castrol SRF.
Notilloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:21 PM   #6
3rdGenAg2010

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Im using the Michelin pilot sport 4S. I have four autocross events and one drivers school in my 1LE on them. Great tires. Highly recommend.
3rdGenAg2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 09:37 AM   #7
SS Performance

Well I bit the bullet and ordered the NT01's. Can't wait to try them out.

I'm going back to the G2's for the street.

1969 Camaro SS
1970 Camaro SS
2002 Camaro B4C
2015 Camaro 1SS 1LE
2008 HHR SS