Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 06-05-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
Dean
Union Brother

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
Chassie Alignment

I installed a true track diff, cradle bushings, toe rods and trailing arms. I just mounted and aligned new wheels and tires. They are 20x11 rear (+28 offset). One of my wheels sticks out 3/8" (right rear) and drivers side sticks out 3/4".

My question is did I make an error reinstalling the cradle. I switched wheels side to side and no difference, also compared offset to insure continuity. I'm going to try and adjust the cradle and re-align rear.

The side with the 3/8" protrusion looks aggressive as hell to me. However the side with 3/4" looks to be a bit much. The fact that they are different is unacceptable as you can see the difference.

Please advise? Thanks.
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
jeremywes

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Alignment is probably way out! I would get an alignment befor trying anything else
jeremywes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #3
Dean
Union Brother

It is aligned, thanks
Old 06-05-2013, 08:21 PM   #4
Whipped416

Drives: 2010 CAMARO SS
Front cradle probably moved .
Whipped416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #5
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
The rear cradle has alignment dowels on the chassis so it is virtually impossible for it to bolted back up incorrectly. With the stock wheels and tires did it favor one side more than the other too?
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:37 PM   #6
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy
It likely has to due with where the toe and camber eccentrics are set right now, if it's not the eccentrics it may just be a build tolerance
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:04 PM   #7
Dean
Union Brother

Could the eccentrics push the wheel out an additional 3/8"?
Old 06-12-2013, 08:37 PM   #8
Bruce@raymondsperformance

Drives: 2014 Z28 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Could the eccentrics push the wheel out an additional 3/8"?
It could.
Bruce@raymondsperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:53 AM   #9
jeremywes

Like I said get an alignment from a good shop
Old 06-13-2013, 03:16 PM   #10
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywes View Post
Like I said get an alignment from a good shop
Definitely couldn't throw out a better recommendation than this. The alignment is only going to be as good as the guy/shop doing so find a good reputable place in your area.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:28 PM   #11
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Automobiles are manufactured within a build tolerance. Years ago those tolerances were HUGE. A full size sedan decades ago had a 1/2 inch or more length wise. Manufacturers generally do not publish the build tolerance numbers. That doesn't mean the don't exist. To have 2 or 3mm side to side is most likely build tolerance and quite common.

Another variable is the alignment machine and technician. The machines require service and must be checked and adjusted by the mfg to be accurate. If the tech that calibrates the machine does a poor job the alignments coming off the machine will be inaccurate. The alignment tech has control of a number of variables as well. Some as simple as tire inflation. Long story short, many that have suggested an alignment issue could be right.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:57 PM   #12
jeremywes

Quote:
I installed a true track diff, cradle bushings, toe rods and trailing arms. I just mounted and aligned new wheels and tires. They are 20x11 rear (+28 offset). One of my wheels sticks out 3/8" (right rear) and drivers side sticks out 3/4".

My question is did I make an error reinstalling the cradle. I switched wheels side to side and no difference, also compared offset to insure continuity. I'm going to try and adjust the cradle and re-align rear.

The side with the 3/8" protrusion looks aggressive as hell to me. However the side with 3/4" looks to be a bit much. The fact that they are different is unacceptable as you can see the difference.

Please advise? Thanks.
Off topic but how do you like the tru track diff? Did it eliminate the driveline slack noise issue that the 5th gen m6's have?
Old 06-14-2013, 04:54 PM   #13
Dean
Union Brother

The alignment is right. The whole wheel sticks out further than the other side by nearly 3/8". My question is - is there an adjustment that would pull (or in my case push) the entire wheel out? Is this just a matter of dialing in the eccentrics and realigning the wheels?

The shop in question told me that the alignment is only checking caster/camber etc. If one wheel had a spacer behind it, the alignment would only fix caster/camber issues not catch whether or not one wheel is sticking out further than the other side.

I really appreciate the information. If there is anyone out there that can answer my question I would really appreciate it. I will take it to an diff shop to confirm alignment spec tomorrow.

This issue has turned into a very big mess as the shop and their supplier are telling me I'm stuck with a new set of wheels and tires that rub. Not cool at all.

Thanks
Old 06-14-2013, 05:00 PM   #14
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
The alignment is right. The whole wheel sticks out further than the other side by nearly 3/8". My question is - is there an adjustment that would pull (or in my case push) the entire wheel out? Is this just a matter of dialing in the eccentrics and realigning the wheels?

The shop in question told me that the alignment is only checking caster/camber etc. If one wheel had a spacer behind it, the alignment would only fix caster/camber issues not catch whether or not one wheel is sticking out further than the other side.

I really appreciate the information. If there is anyone out there that can answer my question I would really appreciate it. I will take it to an diff shop to confirm alignment spec tomorrow.

This issue has turned into a very big mess as the shop and their supplier are telling me I'm stuck with a new set of wheels and tires that rub. Not cool at all.

Thanks
These are NEW wheels?
Only one side rubs?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote