Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

View Poll Results: What brand catch can do you want brandX to be?
Apex 6 11.11%
Elite engineering 34 62.96%
RX performance 11 20.37%
Mishimoto 2 3.70%
Cusco 1 1.85%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-16-2015, 09:16 AM   #43
AITI
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 LFX Auto
So...Brand X inline AFTER the Moroso? And it caught that much more than the Moroso after it did it's best? Can't wait to see this in reverse now to see what gets past BrandX. All of that would still be getting into your intake if just running the Moroso. This is what I have been wanting to see.
AITI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:19 AM   #44
Criticalmass

Drives: 2014 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
and I wanted to ensure I'd never have an issue with buildup again.
A catch can merely slows down the process, it doesn't eliminate it. The valves will need to be cleaned again.

The only permanent solution is port AND direct injection. or a custom methane / water injection set up. The new Ford GT (up and coming) will have both port and direct injection, and will eventually trickle down to the rest of the models. It is currently the only permanent solution they have besides including a cleaning in regular maintenance intervals. Even the catch can mechanisms on the Turbo'd ST and RS cars just delay the issue (they return the oil to the crank case, so no emptying of cans).

One thing I am glad for, 5.0 Port Injection. I'm quite happy Ford decided to delay direct injection for the 5.0 motor (even though they set it up for DI and Port, just in case they wanted to make the change at some point. I'm glad they haven't). I'd rather clean the intake once in a while (and the MAF sensor) than have to go through a valve cleaning as well. And no catch can with possible air leaks introducing unmetered air into the system that can't normally be detected without a data logger, thus causing the fuel system to run lean.

Cleaning the intake and MAF sensor takes all of 10-20 minutes. A valve cleaning like this takes a lot longer and is much more invasive. And once the damage is done, it's done.

Last edited by Criticalmass; 07-16-2015 at 09:36 AM.
Criticalmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:20 PM   #45
AITI
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 LFX Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Criticalmass View Post
A catch can merely slows down the process, it doesn't eliminate it. The valves will need to be cleaned again.

The only permanent solution is port AND direct injection. or a custom methane / water injection set up. The new Ford GT (up and coming) will have both port and direct injection, and will eventually trickle down to the rest of the models. It is currently the only permanent solution they have besides including a cleaning in regular maintenance intervals. Even the catch can mechanisms on the Turbo'd ST and RS cars just delay the issue (they return the oil to the crank case, so no emptying of cans).

One thing I am glad for, 5.0 Port Injection. I'm quite happy Ford decided to delay direct injection for the 5.0 motor (even though they set it up for DI and Port, just in case they wanted to make the change at some point. I'm glad they haven't). I'd rather clean the intake once in a while (and the MAF sensor) than have to go through a valve cleaning as well. And no catch can with possible air leaks introducing unmetered air into the system that can't normally be detected without a data logger, thus causing the fuel system to run lean.

Cleaning the intake and MAF sensor takes all of 10-20 minutes. A valve cleaning like this takes a lot longer and is much more invasive. And once the damage is done, it's done.
If only air is passing the valves, what is there to bake on and cause the deposits? Also, if you return this concentrated mix of damaging compounds to the oil, then your engine is not going to live very long...there is a ton more than oil these trap.

How would any non MAF metered air enter his setups?

Water Meth injection is only done at boost levels selected, and can't be sprayed constantly like a port injector does, so I can't see people filling a meth tank

Also, as I rebuild these engines, the valve guides are being wore out from the deposits, so cleaning valves once a year will not help prevent that wear, and then finally Ford, GM, Audi/VW, etc. all have patents on valve timing events to try and correct this with little success, and the Audi, etc. that do combine a small port injector are then running into excessive detonation due to fuel being in the chamber the entire intake and compression stroke VS the milliseconds that fuel is present in the DI engines so the higher compression ratios (11.3-11.5:1 common) are not possible with regular octane fuel so all the benefits of DI are then reduced or rendered useless.

Give me some data to support what your claim, always willing to learn but I work on DI engines daily and see everything you could imagine up close.

The OP also shows good pics of before and after his intake valve cleaning and it is night and day. The dealers dont let us do manual intake valve cleaning, they push BG, which has it's issues as well.

Thanks!
AITI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 01:12 PM   #46
Tahlee

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3
The suspense is killing us. What is Brand X, please.
Tahlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 01:16 PM   #47
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
You were likely picked for this test because your car has EXTREME BLOW-BY! Only the space shuttle Challenger had more blow-by.

some cars do have internal oil separators. My BMW 740 M62 engine has one. The later M62's in the X5's have a separate external oil separator. It can be done correctly if the OEM's spend some extra money.

One could argue that these catch cans are just changing the pressure (lowering the pressure will cool the air) and condensing oil that would normally not condense on it's way through the intake system. I bet there are lots of DI engines that don't have intake buildup. Seems the problem is compounded by extreme blow-by and crappy PCV systems.

Why can't somebody make a nice effective oil separator kit for $150? $300-$400 is just crazy for such a simple device. But I guess this is rocket science when compared to the CAI's for same price.
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 02:50 PM   #48
Black&WhiteEnvy
211 v6 m6

Drives: 2011 v6 manual white with black
Eventually I will remove my manifold and capture new images of he valves and the inside of the manifold itself like I posted recently. These are all great discussions and a very concerning topic that will effect most of our vehicles in the future. These studies and tests are being conducted to provide supporting data for future innovations. I will be able to release the brandX manufacturers in the upcoming days. these days everything is time sensitive and proving that a product performs as it states takes time. I'm about a week I should be around my next draining point (1000miles) and I will be switching the cans. Making brand x first and moroso secondary. At that point I will be alloud to release brandX manufacturers. The next weigh in is going to be huge. In drove cross country and little city for 1750 nearing 11oz of oil caught. This will be almost 50/50 highway city drive. I have been taking highway to work. Then driving through 3 townships on my way home totaling a 44mile round trip each day... Thanks for the posts, and I hope your can keep your pants on Tahlee
Black&WhiteEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 02:52 PM   #49
Black&WhiteEnvy
211 v6 m6

Sorry AITI to answer your question, yes. The brandX is hooked up as a backup or secondary catch. And just as I stated I will be switching and the cans and exposing my findings when miles due. This is the large moroso catch can as I stated before aswell... Thanks...
Old 07-16-2015, 06:25 PM   #50
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoggyusa View Post
You were likely picked for this test because your car has EXTREME BLOW-BY! Only the space shuttle Challenger had more blow-by.

some cars do have internal oil separators. My BMW 740 M62 engine has one. The later M62's in the X5's have a separate external oil separator. It can be done correctly if the OEM's spend some extra money.

One could argue that these catch cans are just changing the pressure (lowering the pressure will cool the air) and condensing oil that would normally not condense on it's way through the intake system. I bet there are lots of DI engines that don't have intake buildup. Seems the problem is compounded by extreme blow-by and crappy PCV systems.

Why can't somebody make a nice effective oil separator kit for $150? $300-$400 is just crazy for such a simple device. But I guess this is rocket science when compared to the CAI's for same price.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but HE was not chosen for his EXTREME BLOW-BY.

I pointed the OP to the TEST as I know he was looking for a catch can and would be willing to perform the test, and hopefully get some help in achieving a kit for his Camaro without much expense.

I will admit you are correct about the oil separator, which is what the 1LE does come with. But is not installed from the factory but provided as a kit that has to be added by the owner if using his Camaro in non street use.....LOL
Old 07-16-2015, 08:21 PM   #51
Black&WhiteEnvy
211 v6 m6

Your right maddoggyusa I was picked because my DI motor has an issue with buildup on my intake valves. My car was original with no aftermarket parts and hit had somewhat low miles. I drive a lot everyday and I would receive a free catchcan of choice at end of experiment. up next after these two vs one another is the Mighty Mouse catch can.
Rtcat600man did you open your PCV valve to the new spec of GM's 2014 and newer standard? Or is it still to the original specs? Perhaps that's why I caught significantly more oil than you. Unless it's beciase my drawn out extended use of driving nearly 1600 miles non stop. Well with out letting engine cool down below 100°
Old 07-16-2015, 08:33 PM   #52
Tahlee

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black&WhiteEnvy View Post
... Thanks for the posts, and I hope your can keep your pants on Tahlee
haha - no worries. I'll be patient.
Tahlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:41 PM   #53
Black&WhiteEnvy
211 v6 m6

I can hardly wait to spill the beans... I just wanna shout ____________!!!!!
I'm just glad I noticed almost approximately a 3mpg increase once I cleaned valves and installed the cans. I can't wait to drive the next 2500miles before I hit the marker point of tearing of manifold and inspecting valves again... Very exciting...
Old 07-16-2015, 11:06 PM   #54
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
Lmfao!!

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Note 4
Old 07-17-2015, 12:15 AM   #55
Black&WhiteEnvy
211 v6 m6

I see you... What's so funny? Just curious.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:07 AM   #56
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black&WhiteEnvy View Post
Your right maddoggyusa I was picked because my DI motor has an issue with buildup on my intake valves. My car was original with no aftermarket parts and hit had somewhat low miles. I drive a lot everyday and I would receive a free catchcan of choice at end of experiment. up next after these two vs one another is the Mighty Mouse catch can.
Rtcat600man did you open your PCV valve to the new spec of GM's 2014 and newer standard? Or is it still to the original specs? Perhaps that's why I caught significantly more oil than you. Unless it's beciase my drawn out extended use of driving nearly 1600 miles non stop. Well with out letting engine cool down below 100°
Yes