Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-20-2018, 09:29 AM   #15
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I bought my Corvette from a dealership outside Columbus Ohio. Drove it back here to Fort Lauderdale.All the paperwork was emailed to me and I did my own financing. They collected Broward county Florida local tax amount and gave me the approp paperwork. I walked in And handed them a check, no screwing around with the F&I department. They took my 13 Camaro SS on trade, gave me exactly what they said they would via email, and I was out of there in 45 minutes. Coughlin Chevrolet , Columbus Ohio.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:34 AM   #16
warren3537

Drives: 2019 Red Hot ZL1 1LE: 2012 RAM 2500
I drove 3 hours to South Houston, test drove it, did the paper work then went back to pick it up, I was thinking about hauling it back with my 20ft gooseneck but I don't trust Houston traffic so I had a buddy take me back to go get it.
warren3537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:04 AM   #17
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Thanks for everyone’s responses, I really appreciate them.
I’m assuming all/most of you inspected or had the car inspected?
Ty for the lemon squad referral.

Right now I’m looking for used 1le’s close to Phoenix, but with little to no options , will have to expand distance filter.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:25 AM   #18
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Out of State Purchase

Purchased mine from Michigan and had it shipped to Indiana. Only seen pictures and the car had 3 miles

Smoothest vehicle transaction I ever had.

The BMV was a different story

Ryan B.
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:30 AM   #19
Goldfish

Drives: 18 2SS 1LE
I bought my car through GearheadSS here on the forums and rented a car to drive to Greenville, TX. It was the easiest car buy I've ever made and well worth the trip.
Goldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:31 AM   #20
CCS71
LFX to LT1

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty 2SS M6
Dealer trade. Out-of-state dealer had the car I wanted, local dealer had a vehicle that the out-of state dealer wanted. They swapped vehicles at no extra expense to me or driving time on my part. Down payment, negotiations and financing done once both parties agree to the trade.

Local dealer still gets credited with the sale, tax title and registration are done upon the car's arrival.
2017 Camaro Fifty 2SS; Sequence #270 - Sunroof/Nav/NPP/MRC/6speed

CCS71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:43 PM   #21
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee View Post
What about taxes from Canada to US? Do you pay them in dealer’s state/province and pay again at the border?

I am interested on the other way around: Detroit to Toronto, which are very close for a road trip, but I am not sure what taxes to pay and where.

Nothing special in terms of taxes. Did not need to pay import taxes (since the car was originally sold in the US before being sold in Canada).

Simply paid my local state taxes and registered the car. Seamless process in the Virginia DMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 10:15 AM   #22
CCG Garnet Red

Drives: 2017 RS Garnet Red Tintcoat A8
Our MS. dealer got the exact car we wanted on a transfer from a dealer in Arkansas. Picked it up for us and we just paid MS taxes. The dealers split the hold back that helped seal the deal. Purchased 10/30/17, for less than supplier cost, $6200 off sticker.
CCG Garnet Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 10:25 AM   #23
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
detroit to toronto will void the US warranty , and canada will not have it in their warrany system. Ask Becky for details.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 10:45 AM   #24
18LTLoveIt

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue LT RS
Bought an 18 yr old Buick in 2003 in Atlanta via eBay from Phoenix. It really helped have one earlier from an overall knowledge point.

I asked a bunch of questions before purchase. He offered to pick me up at the airport & drove me to his house. Upon inspection, it needed work, nothing I couldn't address. I handed over the Cashier's check. He had the belts changed & general inspection & off I went to VA to charge the air, visit sister & then off to AZ. Went smoothly.

Just replaced the battery today. As time goes on I love the 1985 even more.
18LTLoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 10:56 AM   #25
ecko04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
detroit to toronto will void the US warranty , and canada will not have it in their warrany system. Ask Becky for details.

Not totally true. Depends on the original selling location. If it was sold in Canada then brought to the US and returning to Canada the warranty is in-tact. Furthermore, if it is imported properly the warranty is transferable. There are cases where the warranty is not transferable as well, that you’ve already eluded to.
Old 11-22-2018, 11:03 AM   #26
ecko04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
Thanks for everyone’s responses, I really appreciate them.

I’m assuming all/most of you inspected or had the car inspected?

Ty for the lemon squad referral.

Right now I’m looking for used 1le’s close to Phoenix, but with little to no options , will have to expand distance filter.

I actually didn’t have any of mine inspected. I did the research on the selling dealership to see what everyone had to say about them. If I was triggered by a less than completely honest dealer, I would avoid it altogether. I’ve found that any of them are more than willing to take videos, pictures and anything else you may need to make your purchase a smoother experience.

If you’re doing a private party purchase then you’d be best to have some form of pre-purchase inspection done. Once again I didn’t do that for my BMW but I was dealing with a very well known and respected vehicle importer so I wasn’t concerned about it and I had the paperwork and title before vehicle delivery.

Do cover your bases regardless of what you do. And don’t be turned off by leaving empty handed. If you get there and you just don’t feel right, just turn away. Don’t think that you must leave with the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 11-22-2018, 11:26 AM   #27
CoolbreezeNJ

Drives: '18 Hotwheels 2SS
I have seen multiple good suggestions:

1) Understand local tags and local and your own state taxes. If you register in your home state usually the home state wants the tax money.
2) Understand what the taxation actually is all about. If you buy in a state that demands to take the local sales tax will you get credit for that tax in your own state?
3) Do you want new plates or do you want the plates transferred if your doing a trade?

I bought in Virginia and live in NJ and of course drove the car back. Virginia dealer could actually have the plates switched from my trade in to had an agreement with NJ to collect and send the taxes including doing the whole registration in NJ. I suppose this was due to the dealer who was able or willing to go through this process.
CoolbreezeNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 11:38 AM   #28
18LTLoveIt

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue LT RS
AZ has a 3 day transport registration tag.
18LTLoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote