Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 04-09-2018, 12:44 PM   #15
Sheriff Justice
If your not 1st your last

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS / RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
What LEDs do you have?
I use VLEDS. 3 year warranty and have not had any issues. Plug & play. For license plates and interior dome I go 6K white. Amber and Red for parking.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:18 PM   #16
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Justice View Post
I use VLEDS. 3 year warranty and have not had any issues. Plug & play. For license plates and interior dome I go 6K white. Amber and Red for parking.
What lumens did you go with?
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:39 PM   #17
Xndless

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
Dude, i should of been more specific in my post above, and why I pushed those 2 vendors. Heck, I should of mentioned extremebrightleds.com too while I was at it, lol.
I am from Canada. Not worth it.

Xndless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:41 PM   #18
Xndless

I got my load resistors and holy hell they get hot. I understand they'll cool a bit more when properly mounted against the car, but seriously? almost 200 degrees Celsius?

Is that okay?

Old 04-10-2018, 12:29 AM   #19
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xndless View Post
I am from Canada. Not worth it.

you’re getting sloppy man, lol Extremebrightleds.com IS in Canada! Loll
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 12:30 AM   #20
Camaro Dude

Quote:
I got my load resistors and holy hell they get hot. I understand they'll cool a bit more when properly mounted against the car, but seriously? almost 200 degrees Celsius?

Is that okay?

normal.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:45 AM   #21
Camaro Dude

....how many resistors are you using? Hopefully their heat sink is an OK design.

Where you place the resistors, and how well the surface they are in contact with, absorbs the heat away, is important too. A surface that doesn’t absorb anything and/or a crappy heat sink, will most surely allow a resistor to heat peak temps quicker...

That CDN dude I just mentioned above, set me up with appro sized resistors and the right quantity per side.

They get hot after very prolonged use of the blinker, this is normal.

The surrounding immediate area should be able to handle the heat.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:46 AM   #22
camguynj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
....how many resistors are you using? Hopefully their heat sink is an OK design.

Where you place the resistors, and how well the surface they are in contact with, absorbs the heat away, is important too. A surface that doesn’t absorb anything and/or a crappy heat sink, will most surely allow a resistor to heat peak temps quicker...

That CDN dude I just mentioned above, set me up with appro sized resistors and the right quantity per side.

They get hot after very prolonged use of the blinker, this is normal.

The surrounding immediate area should be able to handle the heat.
What do you think of these load resistors from JDM astar http://www.jdmastar.com/product/250/...-Set-of-2.html

They use 2 load resistors per bulb. Here’s the reply I got when I asked why.
“We use two resistors per side as some cars have reported error codes before on the parking light”
Old 04-10-2018, 08:02 AM   #23
Xndless

Quote:
What do you think of these load resistors from JDM astar http://www.jdmastar.com/product/250/...-Set-of-2.html

They use 2 load resistors per bulb. Here’s the reply I got when I asked why.
“We use two resistors per side as some cars have reported error codes before on the parking light”
These are the ones I bought
Old 04-10-2018, 08:43 AM   #24
camguynj

Quote:
These are the ones I bought
When you measured them was it with the tailight or brake light on? Did you measure both resistors?
Old 04-11-2018, 04:03 AM   #25
Xndless

Quote:
When you measured them was it with the tailight or brake light on? Did you measure both resistors?
Regular light causes them to go to 130-150C and with signal light on it's 190-200c

doesn't matter, though, because the plug doesn't fit on the camaro housing. They are trash and do not work.

But an update to the LED bulbs, they are great! very bright too.

Unfortunately I need to look for new resistors that don't require me to mess with my cars wiring. Maybe I will look into making my own instead, then I can use quality parts and make them as long as I need with the proper plug end that twists on.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:41 PM   #26
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
You should not need a load resistor on the parking light circuit, only a 6 ohm on the brake/turn side of the bulb. Use a trailer harness for adding the resistors, that way you do not cut into the factory wiring. The harness T's into the factory plug for the rear tail and turn lights, driver's side rear. Yes the resistors get hot. They are about the same resistance as the incandescent light bulb you are replacing. The 6 ohm resistor draws about 2 amps, thus around 24 watts, to mimic the light bulb. It dissipates it's energy in the form of heat, not heat and light like the light bulb.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:55 PM   #27
camguynj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbubba View Post
You should not need a load resistor on the parking light circuit, only a 6 ohm on the brake/turn side of the bulb. Use a trailer harness for adding the resistors, that way you do not cut into the factory wiring. The harness T's into the factory plug for the rear tail and turn lights, driver's side rear. Yes the resistors get hot. They are about the same resistance as the incandescent light bulb you are replacing. The 6 ohm resistor draws about 2 amps, thus around 24 watts, to mimic the light bulb. It dissipates it's energy in the form of heat, not heat and light like the light bulb.
Could you provide a link to the type of trailer T harness you mention. Thanks.
Old 04-12-2018, 01:32 AM   #28
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
Curt 56253 wiring harness. You'll only use part of harness. It T's into your wiring harness. Then use the wires provided.to add your resistors. 2012/13 is slightly different from my 2010. But same principle. I didn't want to cut into my factory wiring. Iirc, I needed to find a ground.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote