Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 03-16-2018, 07:37 PM   #1
terry_b

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to terry_b
Odd vibration under acceleration

I've searched through a bunch of threads and I think I'm on the right track but I wanted more current input.

I've got an odd vibration that seems to come and go. Vibration usually comes in under acceleration on the highway, usually 65-75 in 5th gear. Vibration goes away on decel and while on cruise control. When it does vibrate, it feels like it's the whole car - I can feel it in the steering wheel, in the seat and on the floor. I can't pinpoint front/rear and the hardest part is that it's inconsistently there and gone.

Recently, I had a bent wheel straightened by Rimpro and a full alignment done by my shop. They did a great job, but then I've gotten this vibration.

I'm having the shop put on new brake pads and rotors and do oil, transmission and diff fluid. What should I have them check while it's on the lift?

Likely culprits look like driveline bolts, CV axles and maybe even a wheel bearing? I plan on having them check the alignment and balance the tires while they're off the car as well.

I'm at 60k miles, stock everything and I've had the 1LE struts replaced under warranty once already, what else should I be looking at replacing/servicing while the shop has it?
Old 06-09-2018, 09:40 PM   #2
jonathanmoguel
MM.CC

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3
im having the same issue any updates?
Old 06-30-2018, 07:58 PM   #3
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Don’t forget the center (carrier) bearing on the driveshaft as a possible source.
Old 07-01-2018, 10:38 AM   #4
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
Sounds more like a driveshaft issue or a tire. Check the bolts especially at the rear driveshaft coupler joint. Look for loose or missing bolts.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 11:12 AM   #5
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
My car has a similar symptom to what the OP noted. If I do a hard pull on the highway (car drops a couple gears and takes off as I'm auto) I can feel some vibration in the steering wheel, its kind of up-down not side to side. It seems almost RPM based as in its more apparent at higher revs. I'm going to test it while letting go of the wheel for a second to see if there is anywhere else I can feel it. Its not tires as it stops if I lay off the gas........

It has been like this for a good 3 or 4 years. I always figured if it was a problem it would get worse but it never has. I had a minor accident in 2015 where I got my car hung up on a parking lot curb and used the cars power to pull it back off & I always wondered if I stressed something in the driveline doing that. Tires were squealing a bit to get her pulled back down. I suspect this as I noticed it only after getting the car back from the body repairs.

I had asked my dealer about it a few times but they always said they can't replicate it mind you they would have to kind of beat on the car for it to be apparent & maybe break a law or two in the process. Car runs like a champ otherwise & has never given me any problems at all.
This just kind of pisses me off & I'd spend a few bucks gladly if I knew how to go about it? So reading a couple responses maybe getting the car on a lift and checking bolts & driveshaft flanges might be a good start? I often wondered if it was due in part from the motor twisting on the mounts under heavy throttle that affected the pinion angle momentarily?

One thing I don't like about this car is how I feel every pebble through the steering wheel with these low profile tires. Its kind of like the princess and the pea fable LOL.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:19 PM   #6
terry_b

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to terry_b
Honestly, the vibration kind of comes and goes. I notice it during hard pulls on the highway one day and the next it's smooth as butter. I wonder how much of it is just normal engine and driveline vibration?

Car was recently in the shop and had the exhaust and driveshaft taken off to replace the clutch. So I know the driveshaft bolts are tight. Now I'm getting used to a different sound and feel of the twin disc clutch so it's just kind of minor for me. I don't have any issues, don't feel a loss of power, and definitely no engine codes... Paranoia?
Old 07-03-2018, 07:15 AM   #7
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
Driveshaft bolts and nuts are one time use only. The shop may not have replaced/installed them right. No charge on your bill means they did not do it.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:08 AM   #8
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry_b View Post
Honestly, the vibration kind of comes and goes. I notice it during hard pulls on the highway one day and the next it's smooth as butter. I wonder how much of it is just normal engine and driveline vibration?
Good point Terry I'm not sure what is normal for a rumbling V8 verses other cars. I could be chasing a non-issue so the paranoid term is spot on LOL. And in my case it has not changed at all over a few years....I would think performance mods would tend to make the car a little more harsh overall compared to stock for lack of a better term.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:52 AM   #9
TRC-SS
700RWHP-650TQ

Drives: 2011 Forged LS3 Supercharged/Cammed
any updates....been chasing this issue for a year now myself

Tags
vibration